Frozen Account Due to Unverified Tax Information

I formed an LLC in the state of MS and obtained an EIN number for this LLC. I correctly updated the tax information on Etsy. However, my shop was being frozen due to unverified tax information. It has been over two weeks and Etsy has been completely responsive to address the issue. I was not even recognized that I have been having this issue on my account. When I wanted to update the tax information with my SSN, I could not do it. I have been asked to update my tax info, but I cannot make any changes there. Etsy is not addressing the issue at all. Any ideas what to do at this point!

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
5 Likes
162 Replies
jossouthernsass
Inspiration Seeker

Re: Frozen Account Due to Unverified Tax Information

I had the same issue and mine was a LLC as well. When I filled in the correct information it said the irs didn’t recognize my tax I’d number. But after 2 days it let me out my personal info in and it opened my shop back up.  I don’t have answers as to why, but am checking with the irs for the issue. 

1 Like

My next step is to contact IRS too. I could not solve the issue with Etsy. But I will still need Etsy to allow me to update my tax information. 

1 Like

I did call the IRS - got my EIN number and Etsy says its not a valid number.  So it did me no good to waste another hour getting through to IRS.  The problem is with ETSY.  

15 Likes
artbyinky
Conversation Maker

@BARBJPRODUCTSI had the same problem even though my number was correct! I had to use my SS number instead. 

4 Likes
LadyInStitches
Conversation Maker

If your LLC was a sole member, adding your SSN or personal EIN was the correct way to do it, that's why you could open back up.  A sole member LLC is not a corporation for IRS purposes.

1 Like
Buntique
Conversation Maker

@LadyInStitches I believe from what I'm reading of people having issues that the problem is with Etsy. I've seen people saying the choices they were given by Etsy were individual, sole proprietorship or corporation. The problem is that no LLC is a corporation. An LLC is a limited liability company and might be a single person, a partnership or multiple people. It seems to me that Etsy might not be recognizing either partnerships or LLCs properly.

1 Like
JunVnShopArt
Inspiration Seeker

I have a side question, when do we have to update tax information?
Thanks

1 Like

Hello...just wondering if you were able to get your tax EIN recognized by Etsy.  I am dealing with the same issue.  I have tried everything under the sun, including calling the IRS, and the number keeps coming up as invalid.  I am so frustrated!!!!

4 Likes

I’ve been having the same problem. A software developer(outside of ETSY) said it’s more than likely a software glitch due to lack of testing. I hope ETSY  catches on as there doesn’t seem to be an avenue to contact them directly.

1 Like
jossouthernsass
Inspiration Seeker

Yes and it’s frustrating because people were messaging me wanting to place orders and it was only 2 days but that gives the customers an opportunity to buy from another shop.

2 Likes

I am going on a week now with no shop even tho they have accepted my ss number.  Message now says I can go ahead and sell on Etsy.  BUT my store is still frozen.

9 Likes
MaiIslandBabe
Inspiration Seeker

Did you resolve the issue? I’m having the same problem… so frustrating! 

3 Likes
TheSuburbanPagan
Inspiration Seeker

I am having this issue tonight! My store was just frozen.  I'm forming an LLC but I don't have my EIN yet. Regardless, they need the info for the 2021 tax year right? I entered in my SSN etc and the page doesn't seem to "save" my info.  It keeps asking me for a valid SSN.  I emailed support and I guess I'm calling tomorrow.

3 Likes
Spottedwoodchuck
Inspiration Seeker

Did you get any answers?  

0 Likes

How do you get to call Etsy?  I have searched and looked for a phone number and cannot locate a way to call them. So far they have ruined my business with all this stuff.

2 Likes
Glasslace80vase
Inspiration Seeker

I am having the same exact problem. I added my ssi number as that is all I can update and I still have that red alert notification staring at me. I have messaged them for help and to update my information I gave, but they haven't helped yet. I don't know what to do and I received 2 orders from the same person. That's a big achievement for me as I'm still relatively new. I wish they would actually have a real person to help instead of always talking to a computer. I don't even sell that much and am still the sole owner type. I hope they get back to me soon. So frustrating 

1 Like
CrochetBySusie
Inspiration Seeker

Same issue here.  I have called the IRS 5 times to verify that everything was correct.  They confirmed everything all five times.  I've even re-entered all the information with an IRS rep on the phone with me.  No luck.  My shop has been frozen since mid December, and I'm beyond frustrated.  I won't enter my SS because of trust issues.  There's no way to call Etsy.  The email responses are no help at all.

5 Likes

I don't think that sellers can get to talk to Etsy customer representatives. I did try to call them but I was advised to report the issue online by the automated message.

1 Like
StitchWizard2016
Inspiration Seeker

i'm having the same problem.

where did you get a phone#.

I can't find one anywhere. 

no help anywhere. I updated my info and it says i can now list but I can't. still frozen

1 Like
ADKmakers
Inspiration Seeker

I am having the exact same issue.  I entered my ssn.  It accepted the number, says I can sell on Etsy, but my shop is still frozen.  It's been 3 days

2 Likes

Same problem except I am a sole owner.  Updated tax info and now store is frozen except for new listings. 227 items deactivated by Etsy.  Has gone on for over a week.

1 Like

@sweetdaisyscloset 

How bizarre that they let new listings go up, but deactivated everything that was there before. How does that even serve a purpose????

"Etsy logic" is so often beyond my understanding.

Trish O'Connor
Owner, Epiclesis Consulting LLC

3 Likes

When I called it was an automated recording refering me back to the Q and A’s. No help at all! I’ve wasted hours on this by doing everything with no results! 

0 Likes

I just had this happen to me 4 days ago.  Still waiting for answers as to why this is happening.  They have my SS number and I don't need a federal ID because if have no employees and I am a hobby business.  This is terrible for them to hold us up like this and they don't answer any of my letters.....nothing.  I hope you get yours back up soon.  

7 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.