colorZen
Crafty Poster

For security purposes, please let us know you're a human.

I try to use Chrome to log in to my Etsy account as usual (by computer). But it kept showing "For security purposes, please let us know you're a human" and asked me to select the images of BUS. Even I did it, it still keeps asking me.

So I use Safari to log in, and successes log in.

Is there anyone who experiences the same?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
5 Likes
26 Replies

Re: For security purposes, please let us know you're a human.

Yes,a lot of time in very different places .

It a normal practice .

You have to choose images several times before you can do anything 

0 Likes
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

I read recently that there has been a 45% increase in online scams and fraud since the onset of Covid, and it is only expected to rise even more, the longer the situation goes on.  I am not surprised sites are introducing more and more anti-fraud measures such as this.  They say the price of freedom is eternal vigilence, I guess that extends to personal safety and security online.

0 Likes
MinnieMaudsAttic
Conversation Maker

@colorZen    This is a normal security measure that lots of websites now use.  I find that I often have to do it several times as the images are so unclear.  Usually, if you get it 'wrong', you are given another set of images to click on - just keep going until you get it 'right'.

1 Like
MagicMoonCharmz
Inspiration Seeker

I think this person means it says for security purposes, please let us know you're a human but no way to show that we are human and will not let me log on to edit shop 

3 Likes

That is my exact problem right now! So frustrated. It doesn't let me prove "I am Human" What do I do now?

2 Likes

@MinnieMaudsAttic, that's true.  I'm on Safari and haven't seen this on Etsy.  On other sites, the images are unclear and small so you can't see all the details and of course can't make correct choices.  Why is it set up like this?, very frustrating.  

2 Likes

I agree.  That particular captcha software/company has grainy pictures of questionable content.  Why everyone likes to use them is beyond me.  Surely, there are more software companies out there that can screen for humans. 

3 Likes
WestNinthVintage
Conversation Maker

@FallenAngelBrass They use the grainy pictures because Machine Learning [BTW, that is us clicking on the correct pictures] has developed a method to allow a computer to click the correct images without a human involved. So the workaround is to make the images grainy.

This is simply kicking the can down  the road. In 2-3 years catpcha will be obselete and replaced with something even more annoying and most likely invasive to our privacy. There is a startup working on using the camera on your phone to verify that you are who you say you are using your face and other telemetry data (HR, pulse, respiratory rate, etc.)

3 Likes

Point is it doesn't allow us to prove it!  I can't sign in some days for long periods of time! 

Please stop this until it's working correctly!

7 Likes

Me Too!

1 Like

NO they don't offer us the photos to choose!  It just won't allow us to sign in!
5 Likes

Same Here!

1 Like

Any tests done on this idea anywhere?  no way to log in! - a negative effect on legit business.   

5 Likes

I'm on a Mac using Safari and have never encountered this annoying traffic light/bike/bridge software on Etsy.   Maybe everyone should switch to a Mac.  !!!

4 Likes
zsjewelry
Community Maker

@FallenAngelBrassI don't think this has as much to do with platform/browser as it does the account's security settings, etc. Some others in other threads have noted that certain Etsy account security settings seemed to trigger a captcha upon login every single time they logged in. I suspect this is what Etsy Support is "fixing" when you contact them (basically, removing this flag from your account that's triggering the the captcha requirement).

I've run into broken reCaptcha on other websites where it didn't matter what browser I used, it was broken. The only way around it was to use a completely different platform (like a mobile OS) where the implementation of login security was totally different.

The funny thing to me about captcha is that it's been defeated by AI already, which basically means it's purpose has already been defeated (discerning a human from a computer).

*sigh*

2 Likes

If this helps I'm using Firefox so this bug is happening there.

0 Likes

I called Etsy support. They are aware of the issue, unfortunately it is not site wide so they are now fixing it on an individual basis. They fixed mine yesterday. You need to contact them. 

2 Likes

Last I knew they removed their phone #.  PortalsMagicCloset can you share that here?  Thank you for the info!

0 Likes

@SavoyFaireSpa I have tried giving people their phone # but Etsy has a filter that blocks all of my attempts to share it. If you send me your personal email I'll give it to you. That's the only way that I know of. 

My personal email is PortalsCloset@aol.com 

send me a message and I'll reply with the #

Pick option #2 and then option#3 listen to the blah blah and you'll get someone or sometimes they give you the option of giving them a call back #. I always pick that. 

Let them know right off that this is a reCaptcha issue

Good Luck

0 Likes
zsjewelry
Community Maker

@PortalsMagicClosetYou realized that you just shared your personal email address on a public forum, right? You really should remove that and use the forum's private messages for that. Anyone (including bots, etc) can read your post.

0 Likes

I hate the one where you have to find pedestrians.   I feel like I need to keep a magnifying glass next to the monitor and see if there's someone  in teeny tiny form standing on top of that bridge.   Never thought I'd yearn for the days of figuring out if that was a 7 or funky L....

2 Likes
WestNinthVintage
Conversation Maker

This is usually an issue with your browser settings.

• Are you denying 3rd party cookies?
  • Do you clear your cache on exit?

If you do either of these, it can cause this issue. To fix it, enable 3rd party cookies for Etsy.com and disable clear cache on exit.

YMMV, IHMO, yada, yada, yada...

2 Likes
zsjewelry
Community Maker

I use Firefox with strict privacy/tracking/etc enabled along with an ad blocker that blocks some externally loaded content. I know that Etsy does use cross-site tracking cookies (3rd party cookies) on some pages. I do block them, and I'm able to login just fine (in fact, I had to log in again this morning). Login worked fine, as well as the 2FA auth code.

Some combination of factors is likely triggering these captchas, and only Etsy knows what those things are. If a simply cache clear/delete all Etsy cookies doesn't work, I would contact Etsy support if the captcha is broken.

1 Like
BaggyKathy
Inspiration Seeker

Yes, it's completely annoying and I can't turn it off. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.