Etsy won't allow me to ship to Romania, but my customer is waiting for their order..

Thought I'd come here for help since Etsy's no help these days.

A customer in Romania ordered a ring.. I made the ring and went to ship it today and got multiple error messages. First, a banner that said "You cannot buy shipping labels for this order because it is under review". Since when? I was never notified that it was under review. The customer paid in full, no issues. There is no indication of any kind that this order wasn't good to go. 

When I try to click on the "buy label" button it says, "currently unable to purchase shipping labels for this address".

So how do I ship this person's order? The ship-by date is in a couple of days so it needs to go. I'm wondering now, am I going to be penalized for shipping it late because Etsy won't let me ship it?

I'm not sure how to proceed. My items are handmade and expensive and if I have to refund and cancel this order because Etsy is being weird about it for no reason, I'm gonna be very irritated.

Thank you in advance

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
19 Replies

Re: Etsy won't allow me to ship to Romania, but my customer is waiting for their order..

Has the money from the order been transferred to your account?
Are you looking at the app or the browser dashboard?

1 Like

Re: Etsy won't allow me to ship to Romania, but my customer is waiting for their order..

I'm on the browser dashboard. He bought the ring on the 19th of October, then the payment was processed on the 28th. credit card processing fee was charged, etsy's dumb extra fee on the shipping price was charged, money already transferred to my bank, etc. Everything went through so I'm not sure what's going on..

0 Likes

Try Pirateship.

6 Likes

I've heard of pirateship but quite frankly don't have the time to make a new account and learn a new website to ship one thing lol

1 Like

@XanneFran I understand the hesitation about setting up a new account/learning curve for a new website (I tend to feel the same way especially when I'm just trying to get something done) ... but I will add that Pirateship is very easy to use and they are better to deal with in terms of postal disputes (I don't know how often you get mistaken "label adjustments" from USPS, but I get 2-3 per month and find it easier to appeal in pirateship vs Etsy)

Wishing your package a smooth delivery, whatever you decide to do. Good luck!

4 Likes

Be sure it is a genuine order first by checking your Payment Account then send it by another method not using Etsy labels. 

2 Likes

@XanneFran 

There's really nothing to learn. Open a free account, click a button to sync it with Etsy, and open a chat to ask them to enable Simple Export rate, which will save you a lot on foreign postage. 

Prices are better than Etsy labels on some things, foreign tracking is better, and most importantly, you can get a service rep on chat within a minute to help you if you have any problems. And they can actually solve your problems.  

Once I tried it, I use them for everything and never looked back at Etsy Labels, which often has problems.

8 Likes

You can use the USPS site, pirate ship, paypal, etc. You just need their address and you're good to go.

0 Likes

If you are in the US, try Pirateship.com - I never have problems there.

2 Likes

Here are the country conditions for shipping to Romania:

https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/ps_012.htm

Could it be that shipping jewelry is prohibited?

3 Likes

That's wild! It could certainly be that. I had no idea. Well, even if that wasn't the reason, it's definitely a problem now.

0 Likes

OP, you will have to use another site for postage. Etsy has prudently decided not to allow postage labels for countries in Eastern Europe near the Ukraine war zone. You can go to the USPS office and buy a label.

1 Like

I was wondering if that might have something to do with it..

0 Likes
TBQSC
Community Maker

Wondering if USPS will have a problem with it too (shipping location)?

0 Likes
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

If you look at the link @KKbraceletsandmore  posted above, it appears that USPS is not allowing jewellery to be shipped to Romania at the moment.  I'm guessing it is some sort of US Government ban, there may be sanctions in place on anything that isn't considered essential supplies, probably due to the Ukraine war?  You could try another international shipper, but if it is a sanction, you may not be able to ship.

2 Likes

Its the romanian post laws that forbid those items.

They accept small packages like only books and papers as corespondence but of course everybody sends small items in bubble wrap envelopes now a days.

They dont allow jewelry,coins and valuable objects so that they are not being stolen from the postal box.

But everybody sends those items .

And its not really illegal by law,just illegal by the Romanian Post laws.

I ordered a lot of items from USA and everywhere on the globe without an issue.

2 Likes

USPS also prohibits sending gold or silver items to Romania, so you may need to cancel and refund.

Even if you were to bypass Etsy labels and purchase elsewhere, the customs form will require a description and tariff code, so you may not be successful in sending it at all -- nor would it be worth taking the chance and losing the order.

1 Like
michellepatterns
Conversation Maker

I wouldn't ship that order.  You said you'd be irritated to lose the sale, but you might lose the money and what they bought if you ship it out.  That will be twice as irritating.  

2 Likes
BazzysHouse
Conversation Maker

Stamps or Pirareship

Just use your email, make a password & done.

Cheaper than Etsy. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.