Etsy shop is down unless I scan QR code - got email from Etsy team

Hello

Today, I received a strange message from Etsy team.

Here is the full message text:

==================================================================================================

ETSY

Dear Seller,

Etsy is implementing an enhanced verification process to ensure security.

As a result, sales in your store have been temporarily suspended until the verification process is complete.

To restore the operation of your store and receive new orders, please follow the instructions:

1. Scan the QR code using your phone's camera, or take a screenshot and go into the photos.
2. Click on the QR code and follow the link with instructions.

If you're unable to scan the QR code, please provide your email address(check the "Spam" folder)

As soon as the verification is complete, your Etsy store will resume operations immediately.

We appreciate your attention, Etsy.

============================================================================================================

Strange: The QR code is usually applicable on login, but I did not see Etsy asking for QR code. 

I was logged in online using Web Browser. I logged out, and I logged back in, and I did not see any notifications from Etsy.

I went into Settings to find my account email, and I did not see any messages there about the QR code. 

I am not really sure what this is about. If you know anything, then please let me know. 

Thank You

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
9 Replies

Re: Etsy shop is down unless I scan QR code - got email from Etsy team

This is a SCAM. If it's not in the "from etsy" folder of your messages inbox, it's not from etsy. You have to check on a computer or through a browser, not on the app.

The scam is that it asks for your financial information and then they steal your money. Mark the message as spam and ignore

5 Likes

That message is a fake, scam message!

It's not from Etsy.

Mark as spam, and don't reply or click or scan anything.

1 Like

@PrntblDsgnsTemplates 

Your shop is not down, it is open for business; I see 32 listings.

2 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Your shop is obviously open, and it looks like you are a new seller.  Scam artists and thieves love new sellers.

1. If the message isn't in the "From Etsy" section of messages (check on the browser, not on the app) it is not "From Etsy".
  2. When you get a sale, Etsy will put that notification on your shop dashboard.  No order on your shop dashboard, and you have no order.
  3. If Etsy ever needs to confirm or verify something, Etsy will put that notification on your shop dashboard.

Thieves and scammers will try to get you off Etsy by asking you for your email, phone number/SMS, WhatsApp, or asking you to click and link or QR code.  Once they get you off Etsy, they will steal your information and money.  Keep everything on Etsy.  

Good luck.

3 Likes

@PrntblDsgnsTemplates: "... got email from Etsy team ..."  Was it an actual eMail or are you just referring to the eMail copy of an Etsy Message? In additon to the excellent advice above, make sure that you check suspicious Messages using a browser (even your mobile browser) so you can double check if the Message is in the 'From Etsy' folder. If not, it is a SPAM / SCAM Message.

0 Likes

Hello

If you login into Etsy using Web browser, open Shop Manager, select Messages, and there I see the message in the Inbox folder. The message is not in the Etsy folder.

Thank You Very Much!

1 Like

@PrntblDsgnsTemplates I'm glad you were suspicious, and came here to ask first - hopefully you did not further engage with these scammers.  They are preying on new shops, and some Sellers have lost thousands.

* Did you see any warning message under that message about scams and communicating off of Etsy?

0 Likes

Hello

I came up here first. The message seems a bit odd. 

No, I did not see any warning message. 

Thank You

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.