Etsy seems to be going down hill fast

Etsy AI (Artificial Intelligence ) is so bad, and as a seller, you can't get help from anyone.  My shop is on the verge of being shutdown because Etsy has flagged a few products of mine as not being "hand made".  All my products are hand made.  So far, the product that they removed are a 3D printed wall mounted bracket for the bug assault gun, Jabra 3d printed adapter to convert a headphone from on the ear to over the ear; and another product I don't remember.  Even when you email support to say that they removed it in error, their automated reply is to check their policy and pretty much  tough luck, too bad, too sad, our decision is final.   If they can have a human look into it, it will be obvious it's hand made and no one else sells these product besides me.  Since I've been flagged a few times, I can't even earn Star Seller badge and before all this, I used to have Star Seller every month.  Anyone else in the same boat?  Doesn't Etsy want to make money?  How can they grow if they keep shutting legit sellers down and treat us like garbage?

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
8 Replies

Re: Etsy seems to be going down hill fast

Are you sure it was for not being handmade? You do have a couple of trademark infringements with Spongebob and Darth Vader. Were the other items using trademarked names?

Edited to add that it looks like Jabra is trademarked?

1 Like

I make products that are compatible with brand names product.  For example, people make car parts that's made for Honda, etc.  Not sure how I can make a product that works with the Jabra head phone without mentioning the Jabra brand.  Another example and my best seller is that I made a few products that fits the Shark vacuums.  My other headphone listing for the BlueParrot and Logitech adapters remains up and those sell well too so it makes me think their bot isn't very smart.

0 Likes

Check out other threads in this forum and you will see it is happening to others.  Also check out @Starla Moore on YouTube.  

1 Like

Etsy doesn't allow the sale of guns or any accessories. That might be why that listing was removed. They sometimes use the generic 'not handmade' reason when sending the notifications. 

0 Likes

I figured that might be the case, so after they deactivated that, I refrained from listing any gun related product.  But that seems to be a stretch to claim a plastic wall mount for a toy gun would be deemed dangerous.  But it doesn't explain other product .  In fact, for the gun wall mount, because at that time, I had Star Seller status, I was able to get a Etsy chat session and even support said they delisted in error and made the product available so that I can listed it again but I choose not to list it because I didn't want to risk another strike and they would suspend my account

0 Likes

@3DCustomThings: "... seems to be a stretch to claim a plastic wall mount for a toy gun would be deemed dangerous." Yes, but Etsy tends to believe in better safe than sorry and the bots are known to take things out of context. If you use ivory as a color you greatly risk having the listing flagged because items made from ivory are not allowed to be sold on Etsy.

"Not sure how I can make a product that works with the Jabra head phone without mentioning the Jabra brand." It is a slippery slope especially when dealing with what appear to be poorly educated bots. You should take advice from a qualified intellectual property (IP) attorney but 'Jabra headphone widget' screams counterfeit because it implies that it is a Jabra product, while 'My Widget for Jabra Headphones' should be okay but who knows if the bots can discriminate between the two usages and Jabra can still complain about you using their name to market your product especially if you do not make all of the IP attributions and disclaimers.

0 Likes

@BagMakerSupply.  Good points.  I have considered that a long time ago and I should go back to making a good practice to put the word "for" in the title.  i.e  for Jabra headphone.  Ebay requires this so I'll need to visit all my listing and maybe put that word in all my listing.  The first sentence in the Jabra listing that was removed, here it is in quotes: "This is made for and compatible with the Jabra Evolve2 65 headphone. It's not an official product of any company."   Guess that's not good enough.  Who know what's good enough for Etsy.

1 Like

@3DCustomThingsYou are right that no one knows what will pass muster with Etsy and the secret rules probably change daily. But unless you have the appropriate licensing, items like your Spongebob and Darth Vader are very likely to get you in trouble and not just with Etsy.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.