TannyBunnyShop
Inspiration Seeker

Etsy removed my bestseller by error

I designed these elf ear cuffs in 2021. They became very popular at once, and a year later, along with our other designes, they were copied by Chinese wholesalers. Of course, a lot of shops started to sell these Chinese fakes on Etsy as handmade. At first we had to compete with cheap bad quality copies, which sometimes were sold under our own photos - and it was hard enough. But then the worst happened. My own listing was removed by Etsy as "not handmade" just because it resembles the Chinese fakes on Amazon and AliExpress. Despite the fact that our jewelry is the original and complys with all Etsy's requirements. 

I certainly appreciate that Etsy is fighting against Chinese counterfeits. But what about protecting honest artists? 
I know that for them removing one item is nothing. But for us, it's a very big problem, as these elf ear cuffs accounted for about 60% of our income. 

I can provide a bunch of evidence that these jewelry pieces are made by us and meet all the requirements. But all my attempts to explain lead to nothing. And I'm afraid that my other listings will be removed for the same reason soon. Just because someone copied them without my permission! Is that fair?

My small business in under threat because of it, and I feel powerless and desperate.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
5 Likes
20 Replies
nineteen27
Community Maker

Re: Etsy removed my bestseller by error

either.

issue take-down notices to all the sites using your photos.

or.

take new pictures.

when i do a google image search...

of just one of your items.

they are all over ali-express and dhgate and walmart and amazon and ebay etc.

2 Likes
TannyBunnyShop
Inspiration Seeker

We tried to remove our photos from all marketplaces, but it turned out to be almost impossible unfortunately. As for the items that were removed - they didn't even use our photos in this case. The reason for removal was just design resemblance.

0 Likes

Unfortunately Etsy really doesn't hear us when we have problems. I'm sorry. I've had similar issues and no matter what I say Etsy simply won't correct a mistake they've made. I finally have given up. I wish for you a better experience than I've had.

3 Likes
Chrysalism
Conversation Maker

I'm so sorry this is happening to you! I just went through this and it is not fun. I spent countless hours reading in forums and researching this issue to try to get it resolved as fast as possible. My takeaway was that there are no effective shortcuts and Etsy's support for sellers in this situation is woefully inadequate. Here is what I recommend to minimize stress and energy expenditure:

1) Use Etsy's help request section to open ONE help ticket. Briefly describe what has happened and attach many (up to 20) detailed photos of your workspace, photo props, and step by step photos of your handmade process. In each photo include a hand written note with your shop name and the date. If you have filed DMCA takedowns, take a screenshot of these as well.

2) Request a call from Etsy's help center, give them your help ticket number, and tell them you need to escalate your help request/have it marked "urgent". Be absolutely sure they do not open a new ticket- they need to escalate the existing ticket. You may need to try a couple times to get a help center employee who will escalate the ticket. Many of their staff are new and totally clueless, and many will make up nonsense to get you off the phone. Once you've had the ticket escalated I highly recommend not calling repeatedly- it's a big energy expenditure for no payoff (I had read on reddit that calling repeatedly would help but after about 30 calls I gave up). Reply to your ticket every few days with "I still need help".

3) Keep sharing your experience in the forums and comment in threads where this has happened to others. It may be a coincidence but my ticket was resolved the same day I posted a long comment describing my situation in detail. None of my social media activity (replying to Etsy posts and posting my story with Etsy tagged) received a reply, but I have heard of this working for others. 

As far as what to expect- in about a week you will probably lose your Star Seller badge. You'll receive an email with scary language about a final policy violation warning and potentially having your shop suspended. Try not to panic! Eventually a person will look at your help ticket. For me it was exactly 30 days after I submitted the help request. I have seen it take longer (up to 2 months) but some recent cases seem to be getting quicker resolutions (1-2 weeks). They reinstated my listing, but my Star Seller was not reactivated right away so I had to reply on the same ticket and request that they reactivate Star Seller. Within a day or two my Star Seller was back up. It was a long, frustrating and scary process. I hope this helps it go a little smoother for you than it did for me!

5 Likes
TannyBunnyShop
Inspiration Seeker

Thank you!

0 Likes
heavyistheheart
Conversation Maker

Seems to be happening a lot more now

0 Likes
SugarTaffySoap
Conversation Maker

@TannyBunnyShop  Aside what others have said about photos, it can be one word in your descriptions that goes against policy that deactivated them.  Only you can see if that is the case.  Are you using any words regarding human body parts for example.

Review Etsy House Rules for words not permitted if you don't know what I'm talking about.

0 Likes

0 Likes
SugarTaffySoap
Conversation Maker

@TannyBunnyShop  It could be the words "cat ears". Here's the house rules. See #2

0 Likes
SugarTaffySoap
Conversation Maker

0 Likes
TannyBunnyShop
Inspiration Seeker

They have just removed all the rest items which were copied by Chinese. So this is not because of words.

0 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

The reason for removal was just design resemblance.

did etsy actually say the words...

*design resemblance*

because i have never heard of that being a reason before.

nor have i read that in any policy violations in the sellers handbook.

if etsy is truly going to remove items.

because it resembles someone elses items.

at least 69% of etsy would be gone.

6 Likes
TannyBunnyShop
Inspiration Seeker

They removed all items that were copied by Chinese (now more than one already) for "violating handmade policy". That what they said exactly. And even when our original photos were not stolen, they removed them anyway. That's why I think it's because of design and not because of photos.

0 Likes

Wow, just searched and no one has your scrolling design - similar, but nope. Only saw your ear cuffs on eBay (sold by you) and on Pinterest (also from your shop). 

Absolutely agree, Etsy is battling resellers at the expense of its talented and honest sellers. 

I truly hope it gets sorted out for you and you sell twice as many on eBay where they don't f!@k with your livelihood. I also hope you're selling directly on social media. Those are really eye catching designs!

3 Likes

And this could be the problem - "Only saw your ear cuffs on eBay (sold by you) and on Pinterest (also from your shop). "

The image recognition bots don't go any further than the photos. If the OP is using the same photos, that is probably the issue.
Never mind the less than quality sites stealing every possible image out there. 

@TannyBunnyShop  - Sadly, besides filing DMCA's on the sites where your stolen photos are on display, it probably would be a good idea to have a different lead-off photo here. Otherwise you might be tempting fate once Etsy reactivates your listings, the next time the bot passes by. 

1 Like

Good point @JMOldeVintage. I was just thinking about that. What if we'll now get penalized for selling on other sites? 

Different photos won't matter though. Google image search matches the product exactly regardless the background, position, etc. 

Honestly, have no idea where Google even stands on duplicate content these days. Anyone?

1 Like

@FallsAveVintage  - Yes I've noticed that Google's image search seems to have changed recently (or it could have been done ages ago & I didn't notice since I don't use it too often on vintage items)

But my initial reaction is that Etsy's bots may not be as fine tuned? 

0 Likes

@JMOldeVintage  With their latest update, image search has been amazingly accurate and a real time saver for me with research and pricing.

This would be the image search were you right click on any image and select search with Google. In fact, I barely use the Google search bar anymore.

0 Likes

You've already been given great advice, but I just wanted to add: as an ear cuff wearer, I think your items are beautiful! Keep up the great work. 

1 Like
TannyBunnyShop
Inspiration Seeker

Thank you!

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.