Etsy generating ghost orders

Hi 

So in the last 30 minutes I was working on listings in my shop when I got notification of a new order on the desktop and also on  my phone. Then within the space of a couple of minutes a second order came in with notification on the app and desktop. Then another 3 minutes and a third order came with notifications on the desktop and app totally $887  showing on my dash board on the app and desktop. Naturally I got excited as sales have been down 80%, but upon checking the orders there were none, Also when I check stats there is none. 15 minutes later the orders reduced to 1 and now as I write this the 1 has now disappeared. Thanks Etsy for getting my hopes up with the ghost orders ;( If your stats look a mess and sales are down this is a good be the reason. Shocking  unprofessional  and disappointing

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
4 Likes
17 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Re: Etsy generating ghost orders

Those orders may have been declined by Etsy's payment processing company.

13 Likes

I've gotten excited about a cha ching only to have it disappear. As @NanaLetha says, it's probably an order where the payment processing didn't go through. Several in a row sound a bit odd ... maybe someone was testing stolen credit card numbers.

I do like your term though and will now forever think of these as ghost orders.

11 Likes

Ghosts need things to and also need to buy presents for ghouls.  Not at all unusual.

6 Likes

Betreff: Etsy generating ghost orders

Ist mir leider auch schon drei  mal bisher hier passiert. Ich hatte übrigens auch 3 Bestellungen. Eine ging dann tatsächlich durch. Letztes Jahr ist mir das seltsamerweise nicht passiert. Erst dieses Jahr indem sowieso alles anders zu sein scheint als normal.

1 Like

Unlikely declined by Etsy as I don't get that many orders in a day let only  in 15 mins. Looks like an Etsy test for whatever reason - it might be happening in your shop when you are not online. I just happened to capture it as it was taking place and that's a concern.

1 Like

@BrandAngelStudio 

And that is exactly the reason it may be someone testing stolen credit cards. They just keep trying one after another after another simply to see if the cards  will process.

2 Likes
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

They could well have been scam attempts, stolen credit cards for example.  The report lists of stolen cards are updated often, and the payment processor probably picked up on the scam minutes after the payment was cleared and reversed the transaction.

3 Likes

Are they in your completed orders as canceled? 

1 Like

This happens a lot. My partner has been watching this lately. They see the revenue go up, expecting an order to follow after. Mostly an order does follow but this last month or so, the revenue will go up, no order follows and the revenue goes down again. I feel it's mostly likely a declined payment. Since it seems to appear in the revenue before order comes through.

0 Likes

No they don't show under orders as usually you would see a suspect oder as payment processing and Etsy advise not to action it. It will either pass the payment checks or be removed/cancelled by Etsy but this didn't happen- so looks very strange and more like a test

2 Likes

Etsy cannot be trusted.

2 Likes

@GrandmaSeedsandGifts   And why is this?  It sounds like the payment processor did their job.  They declined sales that were fraudulent.  A good thing.  Sometimes in the retail world there is a delay as card information is updated.  The card could have been used only for minutes later a report to come through that the card was stolen.

3 Likes

To: JDTotesnDolls

I don't trust Etsy for many many many reasons. They now have Bots running the whole place and the amount of technical issues never end. Once they took off 50 listings saying they were against policy. Only a few were in the new lists of new prohibited items. Like Delphinium seeds which are not poisonous and the entire world sells. However, the new sellers are ok to sell them ???? IT TOOK THEM 3 MONTHS TO PUT BACK ITEMS -  NOT ON THEIR NO NO LISTS.  They ding me for a bad reviews, even though it is meant for another seller. I prove it to them (pictures show something I do not sell) and yet they WILL NOT FIX THEIR ERRORS.  How is that fair? I could go on and on, but what is the point. I DO NOT TRUST ETSY FOR MANY MANY REASONS. And you should not either. I think they do many things on purpose for their own benefit ... screwing sellers.... even though sellers built them, they ruin many for no reason. Strange unprofessional company than throws good sellers under the bus. You can beg for help and you may or may not hear from them, and most times it is obvious they do not speak English or anser the real question asked. They hold money on many for no reason. Use banks that cannot be trusted.  Is that enough reason?

3 Likes

Fraudulent use of cards has increased tremendously making it difficult for payment processors to keep up.  Be glad they caught it in time rather than removing it hours later. 

A let down for sure so have a piece of comforting virtual dark chocolate on me. 

6 Likes

Reason for moving on..... So many issues on the page for a tremendous amount of money....

0 Likes

@Redstartradingpost and @BASEMENTCASTINGCO 

Etsy is far from perfect, but I do appreciate a payment processing system that catches fraudulent transactions.

And the fraudulent transactions are not Etsy's fault ... all they can do is catch them.

2 Likes

Wow! Listening to the terrible games that ETSY plays why do we do business on here. This seems scummy. Maybe the AI is becoming a disaster. 

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.