Etsy deactivated a mother-of-pearl sea shell pendant listing???

So I just listed a mother of pearl sea shell pendant listing.  Sterling, tourmaline and rose quartz.  It was immediately deactivated by Etsy.  NOW what the heck are they checking on that listing?

I do know that amber listings are automatically getting pulled (although not all of them???) because they are checking for amber beads under a certain size.  But why now this pendant?  I looked through prohibited items and didn't find anything.  Lack of communication is so annoying and time consuming for sellers....sigh.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
3 Likes
39 Replies
catfluff
Conversation Maker

Re: Etsy deactivated a mother-of-pearl sea shell pendant listing???

did you use the color ivory in the listing?

0 Likes

No comment of ivory any where

0 Likes

It is absolutely ridiculous that when Etsy deactivates a listing they don't include in the notice the EXACT reason it was deactivated, instead of some general links that don't explain anything.  It would save so much time on their part and clear up their email backlog tremendously.

Unfortunately, all you can do is email them, and then wait through the multiple times it will take before they share any real and useful information with you.

7 Likes

Well, not only that but they didn't even send me a notice!  I was actively listing and checking on what I had listed and it was missing.  Found in in the inactive section.  

I checked their prohibited and nothing there.  I email them and got a email back saying "check the notice from Etsy".  To which I replied, I didn't get a notice (and yes, checked my junk file).  Of course they gave me the link to prohibited which did nothing.  Still haven't heard back.  Not the first time I have listed something like this either!

0 Likes

Agree! I've been waiting nearly two weeks for the email I'm supposedly going to get about a deactivated item, and finally emailed etsy yesterday. 

0 Likes
MouseGarden
Conversation Maker

THIS.  No wonder Etsy is swamped by emails.  And they always reply with a form letter, which means more emails.  

2 Likes

@InVintageHeaven  :  It seems that the bots are looking for trigger words with no consideration for context. The classic  example that may or may not apply to you, if you say an item is ivory colored the listing may get flagged because ivory is not allowed to be sold on Etsy. Since Etsy is now also factoring descriptions in search, they along with titles, tags. and materials are all probably being checked. And the bots are also "reading" images. Hopefully you have / will receive an eMail from Etsy explaining the reason.

0 Likes
artbyinky
Conversation Maker

Maybe a keyword you used was copyrighted? It’s actually crazy what words people claim are theirs… or they lockdown. That’s the only thing I can think of and I’ve heard of it happening.

Additionally, is it possible someone stole your images and reposted them onto wish or something? Etsy has been cracking down on reselling, but it’s biting legit shops because people are making counterfeit copies/scams elsewhere. There’s been 3 posts like that and a YouTuber I follow that makes her own designs had this exact thing happen. Her listing got taken down without warning and reverse image researched her pictures and they were on various scam sites and wish.com.

Bots had stolen her designs and scammers shipped counterfeit stuff, but it made it look like she was a reseller.

I hope it gets resolved, you have a really lovely shop!

0 Likes

Nope.  Nothing that would be copyrighted.

0 Likes

@artbyinky 

Last night I noticed on our TV a news bite about a new park  in our area "Take A Hike" and of course  the signs in the background the name is trademarked.  Can we not use that phrase anymore ? Makes me wonder!

0 Likes
SmudgePlant
Community Maker

Could you have described it as a "fanshell"? It looks like that's a type of crab on the Endangered Species list. (Not saying that it's not a ridiculous takedown , just trying to understand the bots . )

0 Likes

Nope.

0 Likes

I had an item deactivated years ago, however I did get an email from Etsy telling what the (perceived) problem was, which obviously was helpful. It seems madness that they've stopped informing sellers why their items are being deactivated.

How can sellers address the issue if they don't have any idea what the problem is? Like many things here that's completely bonkers. 

5 Likes

The only way we can figure it out is to have the whole listing in front of us. It could be a word in the description; it could be an image. 

Some types of abalone are restricted, but I haven't had any issues with my listings. Yet. 

0 Likes

Here is the description:

Glowing pink mother of pearl shell set into this beautiful large pendant! This vintage pendant is sterling silver, large and quite a lovely piece! The MOP shell is carved into a flower. In the center of this, is a deep pink tourmaline cabochon. It is prong set. Below this is a pink rose quartz cabochon. The bottom piece is a teardrop shaped lighter pink tourmaline. These pieces are all bezel set. Great piece to add to your collection!

Condition: Very good vintage condition, vintage patina - the darker line that show on the rose quartz ended up just being a piece of dirt that I just cleaned off. So the stone is very pretty and clear.
Measurements: 2.64" or 66.94 mm x 1.23" or 31.32 mm wide
Markings: 925
Weight: 13.3 grams

Please examine enlarged photos for details. This is much more beautiful in real life.

I lightly polish my vintage silver as some people like the aged patina. If you want me to polish it before shipping, just let me know! I am not an expert on vintage jewelry, but I do buy and sell what I love! Since these items are vintage, they may have a wonderful aged patina and are not meant or expected to look brand new. I treasure their imperfections as part of their charm and history.

Shell:
Properties: Sea shells are all part of a living ecosystem. They consists of calcium carbonate and grow in the ocean. They are soft to the touch from tumbling in the sand and water. They have a ripple pattern to them which reminds me of the waves lapping onto the sand.

History: It has been used for centuries in jewelry. Native American Apache tradition dictates that and abalone shell disc is worn on the forehead of girls on the morning of their initiation into womanhood.

Healing Properties: Many believe that abalone helps you connect with the sea, family and motherhood. It brings a sense of peace, comfort, love, etc. It is thought to aide in strengthening the structure of the body, heart chakra, immune system, aid digestion and help with arthritis and/or other joint disorders.

1 Like

@InVintageHeaven  The last part sounds like making medical claims. 
Healing properties.   
Helps with arthritis.    
Aid digestion

5 Likes

@InVintageHeaven  So Im not in the USA so you folks would know best with this, but could it be the reference to Native American culture outside of the context of a genuine Native American handicraft?

2 Likes
IndustrialBlonde
Conversation Maker

Perhaps the “healing properties” paragraph is the issue?  

16 Likes

InVintageHeaven, I SO wish I could compose a description like you do.  It just isn't in me.  Lost a job once because I couldn't paraphrase the minutes to a meeting!  lol

0 Likes

I agree, it is probably because of the "healing properties" paragraph.  Healing/medical claims are not allowed.

3 Likes

Could it be the use of the words Native American Apache? I remember people having trouble with Native American jewelry not made by Native Americans. 

5 Likes

That is what I was thinking also. Native American will get you taken down. I have a listing for a two strand pearl necklace with a large green amber pendant that I got rid of anything that said amber and just called it resin stone. It got taken down again when I relisted.  I looked at my photos and I had tagged them as green amber. Now that the bots are scanning pictures you should see if you have used a word they don't like if you tag your pics.

0 Likes
AmoreTreasure
Conversation Maker

My bet is it's this.  Guessing a bot flagged this looking for violations in the "Indians Arts and Crafts Act of 1990".  I am in NO way saying you are in violation but I could see where your reference to "Native American Apache" triggered a hit by one of Etsy's unsophisticated bots.

"It is illegal to offer or display for sale, or sell, any art or craft product in a manner that falsely suggests it is Indian produced, an Indian product, or the product of a particular Indian or Indian tribe or Indian arts and crafts organization, resident within the United States. "  Excerpt is from this link: https://www.doi.gov/iacb/act#:~:text=It%20is%20illegal%20to%20offer,resident%20within%20the%20United....

1 Like

You mention "healing properties"; that can get you removed.  You also mention what it can help medically (false medical claim); you need to remove the entire bottom portion referencing the sea, Natives, and healing.

5 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.