Etsy closed my account without giving information

Hello,

I am a new seller on Etsy. I have received 4 orders so far and all of them were cancelled by Etsy and today Etsy closed my account without sending an e-mail or without giving any information. Should I submit an appeal? Even If i submit an appeal I do know what to defend because I do not know why Etsy closed my shop. Can you guys help me with this?

Thanks

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
34 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Re: Etsy closed my account without giving information

What exactly were you selling?

0 Likes

Personalized gifts. Like magnets, spotify plaques.

0 Likes

You can certainly send a message to Etsy to ask 'why' but when Etsy closes a shop it is generally (like 99.99% of the time) due to the fact that the shop isn't selling items that fit the requirements.

Handmade by the seller (or designed by the seller and produced by a POD/production assistant exclusively for the seller).

vintage (more than 20 years old)

craft supplies (that are used to make something else, and not usable standalone such as tee shirts or coffee mug blanks).

If your items were in one of those categories, but violated other policies...that's another wrinkle.

and only Etsy can advise you.

2 Likes

I asked why. I hope they answer. Actually I have only three listings that is wooden photo, spotify plaque and fridge magnets. Can you advice more?

0 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

spotify = infringement= account closed.

i know those spotify plaques are popular.

but they are illegal to sell.

4 Likes

Before I start selling on Etsy I have seen many spotify plaque listings thats why I added that item to my shop. So I could not know it is illegal to sell. Do you think Etsy reply my e-mails? Because I asked why. If the suspension reason is spotify and if I remove listings. Do they reopen my account?

0 Likes

@BeeMeeGift 

You need to educate yourself about Trademark and Copyright LAW.

There are many illegal items for sale on Etsy - elephant ivory products, cannabis gummies and treats, tazers and spring assisted knives, brass knuckles, fake hair growth serum...

Just because you see other people breaking the law doesn't mean YOU won't get caught.

6 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Just because others are selling Spotify items, does not make it legal. You got caught and so far, the others did not.

1 Like

Hello,

Of course, I have nothing to say to that. I have no intention of breaking the rules. But there were so many vendors selling it that I didn't realize it was breaking the rules. I would be very upset if selling spotify plaques is illegal on Etsy and my shop is closed because of it. I spent money on this store, why would I knowingly sell something that is prohibited? Please don't be unfair to me.

0 Likes
LoveFuzz
Crafty Poster

Anything that is a brand name is trademarked and is illegal to sell. Generally if you're closed down its because the copyright holder reported you. It happens all the time with Disney and sports teams and tons of other copywritten and trademarked items. When you start a business it's your job to know these things and unfortunately "I didn't know" usually isn't a valid excuse to break the law and get away with it.  Nobody's trying to be mean, just telling you how it is. I'm sorry that it happened to you. It will likely eventually happen to everyone selling trademarked items 

4 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

@BeeMeeGift  - It's not just breaking Etsy rules. It's against the law - trademark infringement.

4 Likes

and no one is being unfair.

you have to educate yourself about the rules before selling an item. Doing what other people do is only good if they are following the law, already. Since you don't know...don't depend on others. Intellectual property crime is a big one. And it can mean jail time depending on where you are.

Etsy also publishes very clear restrictions and rules. Amazed that more sellers don't read those first.

4 Likes

You are all correct. I'm not saying I did anything right. I read the rules but I guess I didn't understand correctly. That's why I say don't be unfair to me. I didn't do anything consciously. Actually I am a seller outside the US. I live in a different country. Sometimes It is hard to understand another country's laws when thousand of sellers sell the same item. But still it does not make me right. You are all correct. I'll be more careful next time. 

So can you guys tell me that will Etsy answer me and reopen my shop?

0 Likes

only  Etsy can say that. None of us have any inner knowledge.

It is possible that you weren't closed for anything IP. Maybe your banking information didn't match or something.

Etsy can tell you. But it is not (from my understanding) a fast process.

good luck.

0 Likes

@BeeMeeGift 

You can try... but if you plan to reopen your shop you will have to sell items that adhere to Etsy's rules, the law of your own country, and ANY other country you plan to sell to.

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/6298920789271-How-to-File-an-Appeal-for-a-Permanently-Suspen...

0 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

@BeeMeeGift  - Probably they will not reopen your shop since it was closed because of trademark infringement. There are trademark laws in most every country, not just the US.

2 Likes

@NanaLetha I am ready to serve my punishment for breaking the law. This is not a problem. but I could not sell even one of this product. I hope Etsy detects and closes hundreds of stores that sell hundreds of these products a day.

0 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

i think it is pointless to appeal.

when you signed up for etsy.

you agreed that what you were selling was legal to sell.

you did no research on the product.

a simple google search for...

can i make and sell spotify plaques?

https://www.google.com/search?q=can+i+make+and+sell+spotify+plaques&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS695US695&oq=can+...

It is illegal to sell items with the Spotify code on them.

3 Likes

Yes I agree

0 Likes

@PlatypusDream I still do not know the reason why Etsy closed my shop. I am ready to submit an appeal but I do not know what to defend. Etsy did not send me an e-mail. If it is because of the listings I am ready to delete listings. But I do not know the reason and as I know I have only one shot to submit and appeal

0 Likes

@BeeMeeGift  so you just ignore @nineteen27  comment completely then!?

0 Likes

<goes off to look for spotify and report report report> lol

0 Likes

@daisysjewellerygifts I did not ignore anything. I find what you all said to be true and I agree.

0 Likes

@BeeMeeGift  so if you take the information on board how would you still not know?

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.