Etsy being hacked - Repeated Fraudulent Purchases on Digital Content

For the past 48 hours I have been hit by at least 7 different hacked Etsy accounts, which purchase 20-70 images, each in an separate order. Roughly 160 individual orders.
I actually caught the behavior live tonight, the orders were like rapid fire, 16 separate orders within the 25 SECONDS it took for me to throw my shop into VACATION mode. Well over 150 of my digital images have been STOLEN this way and I've already been contacted by 3 of the hacked users telling me they did not make the purchases.

These orders are coming in rapid fire and downloading my images all the while the hacked account isnt even aware unless they happen to be looking at their email at the time.  This means  they'll be opening claims and charge backs which leaves me with nothing but wasted time and countless lost revenue from my stolen images.

I've contacted Etsy support and only gotten the canned message. This is ridiculous and I am losing countless revenue having to put my shop in vacation mode to prevent more theft.
There are other users seeing this going on right now as well. I can't imagine how many hacked accounts Etsy is currently dealing with but they need to do something NOW.

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
12 Likes
18 Replies

Re: Etsy being hacked - Repeated Fraudulent Purchases on Digital Content

I've seen numerous digital sellers state the same issue on multiple platforms. They often say the files are downloaded, then Etsy has been issuing refunds. I believe some have then found those images on the free file sharing sites. It's really sad. 

Unfortunately I have no idea what they could do - besides maybe put a halt to accounts that are buying over X amount of orders in a certain time frame? I mean, they put seller's accounts into vacation mode if they have a surge of sales, why couldn't they do the same for buyer accounts? There has to be a reasonable amount of sales that an actual human can make before it becomes suspicious, especially when what I've heard is that almost all (or maybe in fact all) of these are separate purchases, not someone adding a hundred listings to a cart then checking out. 

11 Likes

There’s no scenario where accounts would legitimately purchase more than one order in 25 seconds or even a minute. They should be able to throttle the orders or block these IPs 
or force all accounts to have two factor authentication turned on. 

or how about even just having stronger passwordrequirements. 
etsy needs to do something this is on them for allowing this to happen. 

4 Likes
Amaradorn
Community Maker

That sounds awful - I'm so sorry this is happening to you. Unfortunately only Etsy can sort this out. Can you reply to the email from Etsy and tell them your shop is being attacked. They are either stealing images (as you suspect) or testing stolen credit cards. You might be able to contact support via chat later on today or get a call back.

1 Like

The orders were cancelled by etsy I believe. It wasn't just one random customer, these were different customers that purchased from me previously. 

The order would state pending and the download part would sya not available. And yes one of the customers emailed me and stated they were hacked.

I cannot charge these customers credit cards or make them purchase itmes from my shop so there is obviously soem kind of breach or hacker within Etsy. 

1 Like

My shop is on limited access - I cannot even get into my shop at all. And I have also got basically no response from Etsy either and yes this is an Etsy Hack issue not an individual account/shop issue but we are all getting hit - at least you were able to put your shop into Vacation mode and still have access, I cannot even get into mine at all sadly and I am very worried 

0 Likes

You limited access might be because of infringements. 

2 Likes

That's what I was thinking. Once notified of a problem, Etsy may now be investigating the legality of items in that shop now that it's been brought to their attention. 

1 Like

I don't have infringements - these were orders placed due to a hacking I believe 

0 Likes

@LoveToday827  I don't think you understand how intellectual property and infringement work. 

0 Likes

If you have licenses to use those professional teams, you should really add that information to your listings (when/if you get back into your account). 

0 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

@DiamondDragonDesigns   @LoveToday827 How in the devil does this keep happening?  And yet there has been an influx of Hacked Accounts.  I'm very sorry; it's inexcusable to get no response from Etsy.  There should be a Security Team available at all times, especially with financial issues.

3 Likes

They have replied with a canned response further pissing me off. I’ve requested a call to explain because they are being daft and not understanding what I’m telling them. Yet you guys understand perfectly. 

1 Like
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

@DiamondDragonDesigns   Don't start a new Email.  Respond to the Canned Message, "I still need help; your Message did not address my problem" (or something like that).  Maybe you've already done that.

1 Like

I agree with you! I stilll have no response and cannot get into my account to see what is happening or to at least deactivate my listings until they figure out this out 

0 Likes

I’ve requested a call from Etsy twice now and have nothing but canned responses. 

0 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

@DiamondDragonDesigns   They need a knowledgeable Security Team to take care of these problems.  And when you call, if they can't handle it, direct you to someone who can.  This is ridiculous. 
I'm really sorry.  And hope you are contacting the proper authorities.

4 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

@DiamondDragonDesigns   I don't know if you wish to do this.  But there is an Admin who pops in some of these Threads (the gentleman with the mustache).  I have "atted" him before for Shops with Hacked Accounts, but he may be sick of my face.  Maybe you want to, just as an Alert.

1 Like

I have also resonded to those emails asking further assistance with no resposne 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.