Dear Etsy, I have five shops on Etsy and bounce between them all day. 2FA sounds great, but not when I have to stop, wait, and look at my phone, and type in a code EVERY time I go from one shop to another. It's one of those things that seemed great in theory, but it needs to be fixed! How about only asking for the code IF it's a NEW computer or NEW IP or device, (like other websites do) not the same one that has  logged into the account twice that day already?  I do love the idea of extra security, yes to that, but not if it means constantly checking my phone for a code (5 plus times a day)! I have to turn the feature off for now, and if it becomes mandatory I'll go bonkers.

I realize most people don't have multiple shops, but there are many users who do. 

If you need to know why I have multiple shops, it's because I sell multiple, unrelated things that don't fit well in one shop.

Re: Etsy Please Don't Make 2FA Mandatory (or fix it)

For some reason, Etsy texts no longer come through to my phone. I had cleared my cache and had 2FA and could not get the code via text. I had been in vacation mode for a while so it wasn't as stressful as it could have been to be locked out of my shop. I tried to set it up again and still no text. I just set it back up with the authenticator. Afraid to not have it.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
decotini
Crafty Poster

[self deleted]

0 Likes

I have 3 shops and, like you, I bounce around all day.  We shouldn't have to use 3 different browsers just to get into our shops.   Plus, my husband and I share a cell phone and I am not comfortable using it to get codes so that I can log in.  Cell phones are not any more secure than PCs. I do hope this does not become mandatory.

3 Likes
Pedricks
Crafty Poster

I set up 2FA Verification this week-end and copied all the codes, and got a text message with a verification #, used it, worked fine.

Next time I went to log in, I was asked to prove I was human, but no 2FA!!

Logged in today and no 2FA and no request to prove I am human.

So what is going on???  I went to my Account Settings and it says that 2FA is on...

3 Likes
Pedricks
Crafty Poster

And again just now, no request for verification when I logged in.  But hey, at least I haven't had to retype the last digit of my password again like I had to for months.

0 Likes

I believe it saves the information and remembers the brower you're using so only asks the 2FA the first time. Then if you login on a new browser, it will ask for the 2FA verification again. 

0 Likes

@Pedricks   It will only ask for a 2FA code when you clear your cookies, history, cache.  You can log out of your Etsy account, and sign in again the next time without getting a code, unless you've cleared your history between log-ins.

0 Likes
TieTheKnotsShop
Inspiration Seeker

I started my shop as a sign in from Google. So I dont have a sign in with etsy - as long as I am signed into my Google account it goes straight into etsy. My question is - is it safe to set up 2 factor authentication? Will this still work ok? I have no username or password for Etsy - only my Google account.

0 Likes
decotini
Crafty Poster

Yeah, I tried it and became annoyed that EVERY time I logged in, it required authentication, even from the same computer/location / ISP (in my home). I have a dyslexia with numbers (I hear them correctly but transcribe them incorrectly by scrambling them). To be honest, I was so put off when I got the first phone call with the AI voice blurting out the code ONE TIME, it does not repeat. I did not have a pen and paper handy, so I was scared that I would not enter the code correctly. I know it probably sounds stupid, but it was causing me anxiety - - so I "undid" it for now.

1 Like
SassyDogSalvage
Inspiration Seeker

Yes, I agree- annoying! I think the engineers at Etsy can figure out a way to make the site more secure on their end. I sort of feel like the easy way out is to make all the sellers do the work with 2 factor login because it's easier for them.

0 Likes
SassyDogSalvage
Inspiration Seeker

Sorry- I would have replied sooner, but I had to go check my phone for the code.. Also, I go on Etsy a lot less now because it's a nag to go find the phone if I just feel like browsing for a bit..

0 Likes

Here's the problem if Etsy makes the 2FA mandatory and I have it on 1 of my 3 shops and do love if for security reasons; it will be a HUGE problem.  I live in a rural area where ATT hasn't done upkeep on their equipment in years.  As a result; they shut down the tower and not just for a couple of days.  They shut it down for over 2 weeks.  For over 2 weeks I had no working cell phone and text messages arrived 12 to 36 hours later with my access code.  Fortunately I was in some Etsy lull at the time with having to use the code and they were only asking me to input the code once a week.  However I had a full week I couldn't get access to the code because it was taking over 12 hrs to receive the text message with security code.  Fortunately this was occurring on my lap top at the time which I use the most; however my desk top was still open in this shop.  I had to used both computers so I could jump back and forth from shops.  This shop is extremely busy receiving up to 15 orders a day during that period and 2 to 5 messages a day at that time.  The biggest issue other than not having cell access was that Etsy had changed my backup number list and as far as I'm aware have no current back up list of numbers.

0 Likes

@sweettreatssupplies make sure you download the backup codes, or use an authenticator app instead of a cell phone. 

Unlike some other sites, Etsy at least has options. I hate sites without backup codes. 

0 Likes

The other issue I don't understand is; although I have the 2FA; why do I still get the recatcha or whatever it is.  I haven't been sent a code for over a week.

0 Likes

@sweettreatssupplies: "... although I have the 2FA; why do I still get the recatcha ..." Recaptcha and two factor authorization are two different and independent security measures which are triggered by different factors.

0 Likes

I live in a rural area. Often I do not have a cell signal. When I do it is 1 bar. The new Etsy phone app won't work on one bar. Things that do work are slow and iffy. So mandating 2FA would lock me out of Etsy.

I recently vacationed in West Virginia. There were many areas where I had no cell service.

There are still a lot of people in rural areas with limited cell service.

Please don't make 2FA mandatory.

0 Likes

@GlassyFields make sure you download the backup codes, or use an authenticator app instead of a cell phone for 2FA. 

0 Likes

Use the backup codes, there are ten that you are given, on the screen, which you can download

once I have used 8

I generate the next lot of 10 codes,

I use different browsers , for my 2 shops, the last time I had to use a code was a few months ago, when I cleared out all the caches

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.