Etsy Please Don't Make 2FA Mandatory (or fix it)

Dear Etsy, I have five shops on Etsy and bounce between them all day. 2FA sounds great, but not when I have to stop, wait, and look at my phone, and type in a code EVERY time I go from one shop to another. It's one of those things that seemed great in theory, but it needs to be fixed! How about only asking for the code IF it's a NEW computer or NEW IP or device, (like other websites do) not the same one that has  logged into the account twice that day already?  I do love the idea of extra security, yes to that, but not if it means constantly checking my phone for a code (5 plus times a day)! I have to turn the feature off for now, and if it becomes mandatory I'll go bonkers.

I realize most people don't have multiple shops, but there are many users who do. 

If you need to know why I have multiple shops, it's because I sell multiple, unrelated things that don't fit well in one shop.

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
28 Likes
67 Replies
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Re: Etsy Please Don't Make 2FA Mandatory (or fix it)

Suggestion:  Use different browsers for each shop, and it is easy to leave one open and hop to the next.  

8 Likes
Spellbinderie
Conversation Maker

Agreed.  I find that easier actually then having to log in and out of my shops all day.  At one time I had 4 shops that were active and I used 4 browsers.  

5 browsers is probably pushing it but 4 is definitely doable and should help anyone with multiple shops.

2 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

i love that they are asking people to do this.

with all the hacking happening!

it is not mandatory.

yet.

but it should be.

what is more annoying.

typing in a code or...

not having a shop for a month.

17 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

@nineteen27 Good point.  People have had their shop hacked, they lose thousands or get their bills run up.  

Etsy closes it down as a security measure, and how do you prove you are you?

Nasty business.

4 Likes

@nineteen27 

So therefore if we do not have a device to do the 2 step stuff then we just close up shop?  Is this what you are saying?  Even if I had the device I would not know how to use it.

While I can use a computer fine I did have a Gen1 iPad. I never did learn how to use the darned thing except for the camera and it finally died as it was too old to accept the new operating system.

10 Likes

I had 2FA for a while last year, but turned it off because I am more worried about Etsy locking me out of my shop when 2FA has "glitches" (such as no backup codes to printout, codes sent too late), than I am about being hacked. 

Just having trust issues, I guess. 

30 Likes

@ThePurplePuppy  , Same for me. I use my phone as a phone only and nothing else. I don't use it for the internet, for the internet I use my desktop computer. I see 2 step verification as a pain in the butt.

19 Likes
CanningCrafts
Conversation Maker

@ThePurplePuppy You do not need a device for Etsy's 2FA. I get calls to my landline phone that speak out the authorization code. You can use a phone call, text to a cell phone, or an authenticator app on your phone to get Etsy's 2FA codes. When you setup 2FA, they also give you a list of 10 codes that you can print out & type in if you don't have access to a "device" to get a real-time code.

7 Likes
Spellbinderie
Conversation Maker

@CatsBeadKitsandMore 

Just FYI, you can set it up to get a text sent to your phone, no internet needed.

1 Like

@Spellbinderie  , Thanks for the info.:)

0 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

"what is more annoying.   typing in a code or.   not having a shop for a month."

What is most annoying is that other sites reply to a report immediately.  With Etsy it takes d ...a ...y ...s, and that's if they reply at all.

10 Likes

the only reason why it should be mandatory is if and when people are to lazy to follow general safe practices when creating passwords and being online in general.

if you use a 15 to 20 character password then someone cant just guess your pass word and do the same for your e-mail address login in 90% of cases this would be more than enough

if you are using a windows computer install anti virus and please set up your router with more secure settings like don't just leave the password as the factory default this would help cut down another 3-7% of create issues like this

in most cases just a strong password on both your etsy account and e-mail are enough the idea that getting a text to verify a login request is needed is bonkers and this would not always stop things from happening as cellphone numbers can be spoofed and messages intercepted if someone really wants too just not worth the trouble in most cases

0 Likes

I am having the same problem and I keep clicking "not right now" or whatever it keeps saying to get rid of the popup.

My question is what do we do when we do NOT have a "device" that will accept this.

I had to go through the same procedure last time I signed into my email account. They INSISTED I add this and I INSISTED that I could not. At least with them there was a phone number for CS and I called. He had to WALK me thru a sign in and used my landline for a VERBAL 2FA sign in on the landline! Since then I have just stayed signed in to my email. Don;t EVER want to go thru that again.

IOW--if Etsy should make this mandatory then they are requiring all of us to purchase a mobile "device"? I doubt anyone here that works for Etsy would know how to do it verbally since they do not have any CS anyway.

7 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

@ThePurplePuppy  Two step authentication can be done by phone call.  If you don't have a cell phone, you likely have a landline.

So no, you don't have to purchase a mobile device.  

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

@bradgoodell 

That is what I had to do with my email--by landline--but how would one do that with Etsy. I mean it is near impossible to contact them anyway and by landline?  How on earth would one even  do that. My email provider did it verbally.

3 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

@ThePurplePuppy You get a phone call to your landline with a recording giving you the code.

I've done this before on some sites that have this.  

2FA is becoming more and more common as a requirement.  Many sites I visit regularly require it now.  Maybe not for every login, sometimes it's only occasional. 

1 Like
nineteen27
Community Maker

i go through this every time i request a lyft ride.

and i am not in the app.

an automated call to you...and a voice telling you the code.

it takes like 3 seconds : )

i do this with my shopify site too.

4 Likes

@nineteen27  and @bradgoodell 

With Etsy I can see this going horribly wrong! Wonder why?

13 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

@ThePurplePuppy 

yes you are a paranoidpuppy.... lol

2 Likes

@nineteen27 

s'truth.

Maybe I should change the name of my shop!? LOL

0 Likes

Perhaps it is time to either just close up shop or go build that independent website

3 Likes

I'm with you all the way.  Too old and too complicated.  I can barely get texts on my android phone.  Not that I know what android means.

7 Likes

@mommawhazelsquilts 

I knew we were kindred spirits.

I believe android phones are made by Motorola. The ONLY reason I know that is my husband worked for Motorola for 40 years!  (He retired when technology outran him at an ever increasing speed. He now won't touch a computer or "device" of any kind, including a phone! )

1 Like

PrairieCrocusStudio

I had a huge disaster with that last year also. I turned it on and was immediately locked out of my account because of glitches on their end. It took me forever to find a chat person or an email person to fix it and let me back in.

5 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.