TheSCPStore
Inspiration Seeker

Etsy Listing taken down by Legal Team With No Warning

Jump to solution

Hello, a plush I designed and had been selling for months on Etsy was suddenly taken down by the legal team for very vague reasons.

I was sent an automated reply that the listing cant is appealled but I'm still really not sure why it was taken down and I want to ensure that when I put the listing backup that it won't get taken down again.

This is what they said

"Everything listed as handmade must be made and/or designed by you, the seller. Reselling is prohibited in the handmade category. Read our full Handmade Policy here.

Items listed as vintage must be at least 20 years old. Read our full Vintage Policy here.

Qualifying craft supplies include tools, ingredients, or materials whose primary purpose is for the creation of an item or special occasion. Read our full Craft Supplies Policy here."

My plush is not handmade and I never listed it as vintage so I'm very confused. I'm still relatively new so my best guess is I put it under crafts when creating the listing. Was this the reason the listing was taken down?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Etsy Listing taken down by Legal Team With No Warning

Jump to solution

If you designed it, and are having it produced, then you need to list a production partner.

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000336547-Working-with-Production-Partners-on-Etsy?segmen...

* I had to look up your group - very relieved to find out it appears to be a nerdy sci-fi thing rather than what it appeared to be at first!

View solution in original post

3 Likes
21 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Jump to solution

"my plush is not handmade" - that's probably why. Looks like you are just reselling.

9 Likes
AUNTYANNIESATTIC
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

After looking at the plush , it doe not appear to be handmade , so I would say even though you have been selling them for awhile they just have not been spotted until now

1 Like
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Jump to solution

Looks like a Pokemon plushie - that's trademark infringement.

4 Likes

Jump to solution

It does not look like any Pokemon I've ever seen.... definitely not infringing in this case

0 Likes
ChantillyAvenue
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

The reason it was taken down is because it's not allowed to be sold here in any of the available categories.  That's what they're telling you--it's not handmade, vintage, or a supply, so you can't sell it here.

6 Likes
TheSCPStore
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Would you know what I would list my plush as? I designed the plush myself and just have a manufacturer make them. I'm the only person who sells this item as I've designed it.

0 Likes
TinTeddy
Community Maker

Jump to solution

You should have declared your production partner, as per Etsy rules.

Then it would have been allowed.

3 Likes
ChantillyAvenue
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
0 Likes

Jump to solution

If the item is not handmade by you or a member of your shop and doesn't qualify for the other such as vintage and craft supply, you can't sell it on Etsy.

Explained in Our House Rules.

Not vague.  The rules are there to be read before running a shop.

1 Like

Jump to solution

If you designed it, and are having it produced, then you need to list a production partner.

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000336547-Working-with-Production-Partners-on-Etsy?segmen...

* I had to look up your group - very relieved to find out it appears to be a nerdy sci-fi thing rather than what it appeared to be at first!

3 Likes
TheSCPStore
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thank you so much! I appreciate you giving me a solution instead of a weird passive-aggressive response like some of the other comments lol.

I'll try to relist it with the production partner and hopefully there won't be any future issues!

1 Like

Jump to solution

That little yellow guy really seems to belong to the OP  - only seeing the website, social posts, and a kickstarter from the same name.

Refreshing.

@TheSCPStore  List the production partner, and send Etsy Support your links to those

1 Like

Jump to solution

Ah, please forgive us - we see this type of thing daily (speaking for others, here) - and find that the item in question is sold all over the place for 1/10th the cost!

2 Likes
TheSCPStore
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

So when I'm making the new listing and adding the production partner I have to also contact Etsy support? Sorry for all the noob questions

0 Likes
TheSCPStore
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

So when I'm making the new listing and adding the production partner I have to also contact Etsy support?

0 Likes
ChantillyAvenue
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Once Etsy has deactivated a listing, you can't just relist the item, so you'll have to contact them and get it sorted out first.

2 Likes
TheSCPStore
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Sadly Etsy's moderation and legal team just auto-reply saying listing takedowns cant be appealed. So even though the issue is easily fixable it's become impossible for me to sell an item I designed on Etsy. Insane how poorly Etsy handled this.

0 Likes
TheSCPStore
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Sadly Etsy's moderation and legal team just auto-reply saying listing takedowns cant be appealed. So even though the issue is easily fixable it's become impossible for me to sell an item I designed on Etsy. Insane how poorly Etsy handled this.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Anyone who is curious should google SCP.  It seems to be a crowd-created fictional secret society all about paranormal and other unexplained phenomenon.  Very cool.  There are lots of images of the critter the "999" plushie seems to be based on, but there doesn't seem as though there would be any trademark issue here.  It is meant to be a shared thing.  

1 Like

Jump to solution

Etsy may be assuming that your plushie is infringing on a trademark or is a mass manufactured item made by SCP or some other owner of the critter image.  If SCP does not have any limitations on "fan art" you should be able to prove you designed it and that there is no trademark or copyright or other "owned" imagery that you are infringing on and that it is not something someone else designed or manufactured. You'll also need to add the name of your manufacturer as a production partner, as advised by others here.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I hope you can work this out.  Your 999 seems like the cutest one on Etsy!

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.