Etsy Labels won't scan at British Royal Mail Post Office

This has been going on about a month for me personally but I'm aware for some sellers it's been going on a lot longer.

The Post Office have recently informed me that they have been made aware of the issue, but until this point I was having a lot of push back with them asking me to reprint them, etc. I am not getting sufficient proof of postage for my parcels because of this - just a number, with no way to connect it to a specific order should something go wrong.

As a British Etsy seller, I have to use Etsy labels to get faux tracking to be illegible for Star Seller. So this issue requires urgent resolve.

To any Etsy staff reading this, please consider this a complaint regarding Star Seller and the faux tracking number issue for British sellers, but also regarding Etsy Labels themselves.

I am going to switch back to Royal Mail click & drop until Etsy release a statement that the issue is fixed.

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
8 Likes
27 Replies

Re: Etsy Labels won't scan at British Royal Mail Post Office

The problem is at the Post Office's end, not Etsy's.  And it doesn't affect all Post Offices.  All the post offices in my area have resolved the issue - previously I was having to take US-destined parcels to my local sorting office but it's fine now.  When I spoke to Royal Mail back in the spring, they said the PO was working on a tech update that should sort it out.  But it's clearly not yet resolved for everyone.  

0 Likes

I get that it's the post office end, but since it only happens with Etsy labels, and I am Etsy's customer, and Etsy is the post office's customer, it's their responsibility to keep me informed. There has been no emails or help on the matter sent out from Etsy.

Thanks for the info, hopefully it gets rectified soon.

1 Like
MinnieMaudsAttic
Conversation Maker

You don't need Etsy labels to get proof for the star seller badge.  At the moment, the badge has no influence on placement or search so it's pointless getting worried about it. I've not had it, got it, not had it etc - no difference in sales.

0 Likes

How can you get the fake tracking number without using Etsy labels? I know you can copy and paste the info but that is extremely time consuming.

And that second part - not really the point... but I'm not particularly stressed about it, just frustrated with Etsy asking me to do XY and Z then making doing XY and Z very difficult and providing no help or information or apology.

2 Likes

Hello @BleachedBonesStore,

We have checked directly with our contacts at Royal Mail, and we have been told that the issue is on the level of the local post office. We are told that "these items should have been accepted and are advising the branch to follow the agreed process for Royal Mail Online items." In light of this information, you may first try informing your local post office of this information from Royal Mail. If you can't get your post office to accept the package, we advise requesting refunds for any shipping labels that were not able to be scanned or used and shipping these via other means, to ensure they arrive to the buyer as expected.

If you have continuous issues with your local post office accepting packages, please gather information about your branch such as: The address, plus any representatives you spoke with if known. Please do try the approach of convincing the branch to accept your package first, because it will be the quicker resolution to the issue if you're successful. However, we are able to gather and forward information about post offices to Royal Mail, so that remains another option. 

Thank you very much!

0 Likes
Marmalady
Conversation Maker

"How can you get the fake tracking number without using Etsy labels? "

Click & Drop integrates with Etsy to show an item has been shipped. Does it also provide some sort of reference number?

I take all my parcels to the PO and get a reference number on the Proof of Posting which I enter manually -- but if you have hundreds of orders that might not be a feasible option

1 Like
MaggieandRose
Conversation Maker

A reference number is sometimes automatically uploaded. Our post office has now said they will not be giving proof of postage receipts on standard letters under 100g. That’s the vast bulk of my sales. But no matter how hard I try, no matter how I fill it all in, I have never yet been able to purchase a letter label on Etsy! 

0 Likes
MinnieMaudsAttic
Conversation Maker

@MaggieandRose   I asked about this at my PO.  They don’t get paid for this so many won’t do it.  My PO will if there is no queue (which there very rarely is).

Their solution for bulk lots is to do the proof at the end of the day and we can go back to collect the receipts the following day.

1 Like
MaggieandRose
Conversation Maker

Sometimes Royal Mail click and drop automatically put a number (not tracking) into the tracking on Etsy, sometimes they don’t. I always use click and drop and if this number doesn’t upload I just type ‘not required’ into the tracking box. 

1 Like

@TonsOfPaper

Where did I say they didn't accept the package?

That ISN'T the problem. And this is the reply I get whenever I quizz Etsy on this. Please read complaints and don't just assume what they're about! 

0 Likes

@BleachedBonesStore  :  In the shipping world acceptance of a package essentially means the initial scan that the package is in the possession of the carrier.

0 Likes
MaggieandRose
Conversation Maker

@BleachedBonesStore , I have a different but related issue with Etsy labels, as most of my post is small letters, I simply cannot buy labels through Etsy as they don’t accommodate the size. Ok, so I just bypass Etsy and buy through click and drop. So my labels are ok at the post office and ok for Etsy as far as beep beep Star seller is concerned- however now the threat of putting even established shops on payment reserves for not purchasing labels through Etsy is beyond ridiculous or acceptable! So I’ve got Etsy saying you absolutely can’t do X, but you absolutely must do X, furthermore if you don’t do X, we’re potentially going to keep your money for months, for not doing X. 

0 Likes

I must admit I don't know what you mean  - I buy 2nd class standard letter lables through Etsy?

0 Likes

@MaggieandRose  :  What is your source for "the threat of putting even established shops on payment reserves for not purchasing labels through Etsy"?  We'd love to read it as we don't use Etsy labels.

3 Likes
MinnieMaudsAttic
Conversation Maker

@BagmakerSupply   I was wondering this too.  I wouldn’t put it last Etsy but I hadn’t seen it stated explicitly.

0 Likes
MaggieandRose
Conversation Maker

I saw it in the forums, the payment reserve applied to new shops is being ‘tested’ on some long established shops, for different reasons, one of which was the whole tracking issue, and that Etsy will regard anything not purchased through Etsy labels as not being tracked. The theory being that coming up to the biggest selling season this will benefit Etsy greatly.  I’ll try to find a link. 

0 Likes
MaggieandRose
Conversation Maker

Ok, I couldn’t find it and was hoping to come back red-faced saying I’d dreamt it up- but no, here it is. Cindy Lou is an expert on all things Etsy- this is her take.

https://www.cindylouwho2.com/blog/2021/10/22/etsy-payment-account-reserves-what-every-seller-needs-t... 

1 Like
MinnieMaudsAttic
Conversation Maker

@MaggieandRose   Thanks for the link which has a lot of useful information.  It seems that Etsy hasn’t explicitly said ‘use Etsy labels or you’ll have a payment reserve’ but it can be inferred.

Etsy is rapidly becoming unviable for UK sellers who sell low value items and can’t or refuse to use the awful courier companies that the country has allowed to proliferate. 

2 Likes
TinTeddy
Community Maker

I sometimes use one local post office, where they are very nice and helpful. But sometimes it is more convenient to use a different nearby one.

Here the owner is rather grumpy.  As you approach the counter, he always sighs as if you are really inconveniencing him.  When I first started going there, I assumed he might be having a bad day.  But in over 30 years, I have never seen him smile at a customer.

Trying to give him anything with an Etsy label on causes a ruckus. He has to huff, mumble under his breath, stare at it with first incredulity, then anger, then confusion. Then he will look up some books (I suspect they have nothing to do with the situation, but are for effect, heh).  Then he asks me what is in the parcel.

"Exactly what it says on the custom label. Which is fully filled out already.  Along with everything else needed. It's all ready, you can just take it from me."

Hmm, he now has to check the weight.  Oh look, it is exactly the same weight as the one on the labels, fancy that.

Then he looks hard at the address.  Maybe mumble the town name as if it can't possibly be right.

I am very patient.  But the people behind me in the queue are probably beginning to do some very British tutting and huffing at this point.

Then we have the scanning. Maybe another weigh, just in case it has changed since two minutes ago.

Then comes the little speech about how Etsy and their printed labels are going to cause the post office to close soon.

I bite my tongue and don't mention that his attitude may do that sooner.

And then, oh finally, he graciously accepts my parcelly offering and puts it into one of the Big Grey Sacks.

And then I remind him that I want proof of postage, please.

Which appears to be somewhat akin to asking for the blood of his firstborn.

For ages, he tried to tell me they "don't do that sort of thing".  Until I pointed out that other post offices do. And he was the one who gave me the form.  That I have already filled in for him.  And he just needs to stamp.  As is his job.

Now he stamps it. But with a good bit of under-the-breath commentary.  Thankfully, I am a bit hard of hearing!

From the reviews, the post office has... it's not just me that gets this treatment.

And this is why I usually go to the OTHER post office.  Where they smile, scan it, put it in the sack and comment on what lovely/horrible weather we are having.

Until this business with some labels not scanning at all... I am avoiding Mr Grumps.  I am very laid back. But I do have limits. 

6 Likes
BlaqKat
Conversation Maker

lol I wonder if post offices have to employ grumpies!  Two different post offices I've used had a grumpy who seems to think customers are taking up their time... like, we're not asking loads of questions (which should also be ok)

We are just mailing our parcels. My last grumpy got really stressed over the Drop and Go and refused to give me proof that I'd dropped it off and then would constantly put items through at the wrong price (always costing me more money!) and then would get huffy when I pointed this out.

Had to go to a post office further away, but at least everything is done correctly now.

0 Likes

My post office has a husband and wife duo - he's lovely. Helpful, smiles, chats.

She is similar to your lovely gentleman - except she also argues with me every time that 0.05kg actually means 5kg and I've done it wrong.

1 Like
MaggieandRose
Conversation Maker

1 Like

@MaggieandRose  :  Thank you. Interesting read ...   We don't use Etsy labels because only a percentage of our business is on Etsy and it would be insane to maintain two shipping channels. Plus we do not believe in marking an order as shipped until after the carrier has the package in their possession. I wonder how this will play out - almost all of our orders ship within 18 hours of being placed (and most within 12 hours or less) but if often takes Aftership 24 hours or more to update our orders as in transit.

1 Like
MaggieandRose
Conversation Maker

Yes I’m on Ebay as well, so I like Click and Drop as it integrates both, although I do sometimes use eBay labels as they are very simple and easy to use, and know what a letter is ha ha! 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.