I wrote to HELP DESK - but have heart NOTHNG back. The SHOP in questions is NOT a member of our CLOSED TEAM yet they ARE posting in our threads - but they are NOT faving any of our items (In other words - A cheater).  I requested that Etsy FIX this problem by somehow blocking the SHOP.  I've written to the SHOP asking them to STOP posting in our threads as they are NOT a member and with their cheating ways will NEVER BE A MEMBER.

Re: Etsy Admin - We Need Your Help - Closed Teams are open to the public since Forum sign in change

Jump to solution

Is Etsy also going to do something about the fact that these teams are playing games in order to manipulate search results?

I am getting many updates from a lot of teams, and they ALL play those games.

'Post things in the color brown'. Do incognito views', 'Favorite team members items', etc.

This is not right and needs to be stopped.

I know that it is said to hurt these game players rather than help them in search, but it is still a form of cheating.

Besides that, search is messed up enough and who knows what these games do to search results for the rest of us?

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
6 Likes

Re: Etsy Admin - We Need Your Help - Closed Teams are open to the public since Forum sign in change

Jump to solution

Not the same thing.

Create a new support ticket if you are receiving updates from teams you aren't a member of.  

2 Likes
TheOldBarnDoor
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@MurphyGardens  Thanks for checking in here and gathering data.  While closed teams are showing as Closed when you search the teams lists, the fact of the matter is they can now be read and commented on by anyone signed in - not just team members.  And, slightly more troubling is the note from @CraftyCornishMaids  above that they are being shown on Google.  It appears that the forum change to being signed in has somehow opened all closed teams and nothing we as captains can do, can change that, we set our teams to closed however, they no longer are.

Again, thank you for escalating this issue for us, it is deeply concerning.  

8 Likes

Jump to solution

@MurphyGardens 

"Closed: Access requires approval, and only approved members can see the contents of the team."

Sorry, not true. I did an experiment and I was able to not only see the contents of those teams I was able to post on those closed teams that I was not a member nor approved.

I don't really care to divulge too much here because I don't think every etsy member is as altruistic as etsycorp thinks they are. Etsy's playing fast and loose with private information that should NOT be visible, mental health issues, medications, family tragedies, etc. lots of things I doubt someone who trusted these things to remain visible only on trusted teams would have posted otherwise, as they were supposed to be private.

Like, things you would tell your best friend but not to some random strangers in the forums!

10 Likes
SmudgePlant
Community Maker

Jump to solution

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Announcements/We-re-making-a-few-updates-to-protect-users-privacy/m-p/...

As of March 26, you’ll need to be signed in to view most posts in the Etsy Forums

Today, anyone browsing the web can view posts in the Etsy Forums. We want to keep this space special and secure because we know just how valuable connecting with your community can be. We also want to create an experience that’s tailor-made for Etsy sellers, so you feel comfortable sharing with each other and seeking out support in a protected space. 

I don't think a lot of people are feeling this.

14 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Today, any scammer with an account can read posts about my personal, business and financial information.

Somehow, this makes me feel less comfortable than before.

10 Likes

Jump to solution

I don't know whether to laugh or cry about those comments in red, it's exactly the opposite of the new team reality!

Is it that etsy doesn't believe us or they don't know how to fix it or they know it's so royally FUBAR they don't want to tell us?

What??

5 Likes

Jump to solution

This is a Forum-wise problem and we shouldn't even need to report it by mail by every supposed-to-be-private team. There are hundreds of private Teams and it should be fixed for all of us.

We share personal matters, like family issues in our tiny team thread and we're NOT comfortable with having that open to anybody to see. It is really supposed to be a tiny PRIVATE space for a few befriended sellers.

PLEASE do something about it!!!

11 Likes

Jump to solution

If it was me I would be asking Etsy how they feel they are complying with the law regarding the safe storage of your private information. Obviously this would be different from territory to territory but generally if a company says it is keeping your data secure and it doesn’t do that it can be reported - and the company can end up in a whole load of trouble, legal, publicity and share price wise.  I don’t use Teams but if people are saying that their “secure” ( eg password protected) information isn’t actually protected then that is quite a huge problem for Etsy. 

7 Likes

Jump to solution

If anyone wants more info on this then put GDPR data breach into Google and that will provide you with a pleasant few hours reading.   And just to add that Etsy should already have reported the breach to the relevant authorities

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I was just able to access and saw no impediment to post on any thread in several different "Closed" teams I have not been invited to or requested membership.

Etsy, our personal information is at risk here! Please fix this problem!

6 Likes

Jump to solution

I have now been waiting 6 days since I placed a ticket about this issue. I have not had a response to the information asked or my further inquires regarding the ticket. Is this being fixed?

4 Likes
VintageMaineia
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

So, really this is a data breach? Yikes!

4 Likes
TheOldBarnDoor
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@VintageMaineia  Not sure it is a data breach (IMHO), however it is a huge invasion of privacy for team members, many of whom share personal information with their team mates assuming their team remained closed as they have been up until the 26th as best I can figure out.  

5 Likes

Jump to solution

@theoldbarndoor

This is the U.K. definition of a data breach

A personal data breach means a breach of security leading to the accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, unauthorised disclosure of, or access to, personal data. This includes breaches that are the result of both accidental and deliberate causes. It also means that a breach is more than just about losing personal data.

So

If you have a closed group of people who can share info in private and the organisation who is responsible for storing and securing that information allows people who aren’t in the closed group to read the information that is a data breach - which is what Etsy have done

Part of a previous role of mine involved being a data controller

8 Likes
TheOldBarnDoor
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@FunkyJunkyVintage  yes including at least one of mine asking for help and/or an update.  Not sure why.  I'm not trying to offend anyone, just trying to find out what's up.  

2 Likes
SmudgePlant
Community Maker

Jump to solution

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Anyone have an update from Etsy on this yet?

0 Likes
TheOldBarnDoor
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@KnottinghamDesigns  Nothing new yet.  Etsy has said "We're working with our platform provider to investigate these reports." so I'm assuming that would be Lithium.  

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Is it all closed teams or just some? 

0 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

All of them.

2 Likes
TheOldBarnDoor
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@hopeandjoystudios  I have no empirical data to say all, however any that I have looked at seem to be impacted.  If you want to convo me with the name of your team I can check yours for you if you like.  

1 Like
TheOldBarnDoor
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@DigTheDesign Thanks for the info, always good to learn something new (to me)

0 Likes
TheOldBarnDoor
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Not sure if this is solved yet or not, however I did have someone (not a team member) try to access my team (with my approval) and they were unsuccessful.  So, maybe the fix is in progress.  

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I hope so because I have so many updates from these teams and their game playing it is ridiculous.

I have not seen any personal conversations just the time wasting, search manipulating games.

Hopefully Etsy does something about BOTH problems, the fact that anybody can access their posts and the games they play to mess with search that are not allowed.

Come on Etsy, this has been going on for quite a while now, please do something about it!

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.