Dinged for message response time even though I did respond with a custom order listing

Jump to solution

My Star Seller status is showing 0% even though I did respond to the customer with a custom order listing almost immediately after first message was received.

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dinged for message response time even though I did respond with a custom order listing

Jump to solution

Ah, I discovered this too - creating a Custom order does not count as a response, (for Star Seller) even though it shows right there in the message, and Etsy sends an email with a link to the Buyer, you still need to write something like "Okey-dokey, here ya go!"

View solution in original post

2 Likes

Re: Dinged for message response time even though I did respond with a custom order listing

Jump to solution

Hello there,

Messages from the same buyer will now be consolidated into fewer threads. However, when a buyer reaches out via the Help With Order request, a new thread will be created which needs a response separately. These types of message threads need to be responded to in 24 hours to be counted positively toward your Star Seller score. New threads will now have notification badges showing if a message is a buyer’s first time contacting you, or a new help with an order request

For more information about this, you may check out the Message Response rate section in this Help Article.

On the other hand, prior to posting in a thread in the Forums, we ask that you please check if you are not bumping an old thread that hasn't seen any activity in a few months (or years, even). If that is the case, and you still would like to share your thoughts and get the conversation going - whether about this or similar topics, we ask that you start your own thread instead of bumping an old one.

Please note that reviving old threads can cause confusion for members reading, so always check the dates of the most recent replies before posting. You can find this information on the top-left corner of each message, just below the member's username and profile picture.

Having said that, we are closing this thread as it is indeed a bit older.

Thank you very much!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
13 Replies

Jump to solution

*0% for message response rate.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@NotInTheBoxDesigns: If you are creating a custom listing based on a new thread, you still need to reply to the actual message. How is Etsy supposed to know which custom order is a reply to which (if any) message? Etsy is now putting a blue text warning / advisory on those messages they consider to be a "new message" but should semantically be called a "new thread".

At least for the time being, it appears that marking an unanswered message as SPAM (even after the 24 hour deadline has passed) will cause your reply percentage to change in a day or two if the original message was within the current star seller period. But be aware that doing so may cause other messages from that account to do directly to the spam folder.

1 Like

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response. However, it is still unclear as to why when I sent the custom/private listing almost immediatley after the first message received within the same/only thread it wouldn't be considered a response. It is all in chronological order within the thread, not based on a thread. Wish I could attach a screenshot to show exactly what I am referring to.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response. However, it is still unclear as to why when I sent the custom/private listing almost immediatley after the first message received within the same/only thread it wouldn't be considered a response. It is all in chronological order. As a new seller, I am still confused as to the 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@NotInTheBoxDesigns   The message system is not connected to creating a custom listing.  It just isn't for some odd reason just like messages in orders or sending a refund message is not connected.

I would just make a habit to always reply even if just to say I sent the link.

I did a custom listing as a buyer years ago and noticed the message and the custom order were not linked even though they were on the same message page. 

Just an Etsy quirk.  

1 Like

Jump to solution

Ah, I discovered this too - creating a Custom order does not count as a response, (for Star Seller) even though it shows right there in the message, and Etsy sends an email with a link to the Buyer, you still need to write something like "Okey-dokey, here ya go!"

2 Likes
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Creating a custom order does exactly what it says, it creates the order.  A note on the order is NOT a reply to the original message that prompted the custom order.  You still need to reply to the original message, even if it is just to say, your custom order link is on the way.  Make a snippet for that, and once you create the order, go back to the message and send the snippet, it only takes three clicks.

1 Like

Jump to solution

Thanks all! Although I don't agree with it, since it appears in the thread to be a response especially given the the original request was to send the custom order link and I "responded" by doing so, if that is how it works, I will now know better for next time. As a new seller and having worked very hard to acheive Star Seller, it would have been good to know that although it appears to be part of the conversation, that it is not in fact considered a response. Will be incredibly disappointed if I don't get it based on something so trivial and unclear. I have seen nothing in everything I've read that clearly stated that. I was a software tester in a previous life and would not consider it intuitive or a good user interface.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Similarly if you cancel/refund the message created there doesn't count for the star seller program as a response. I was penalized for three months trying to make up for 5 responses I did using the cancel/refund after Etsy falsely claimed all messages were now getting connect to the same thread, but those answers I gave on the cancel/refund portion were not counted and for purposes of the star seller program "I never responded", it sucks but Etsy support was completely unhelpful.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Interesting. Thanks for the additional information/heads up!

1 Like

Jump to solution

It causes us to spam our customers sorry it's a terrible idea.  My customer placed a note in her order, I reached out to her right but she also sent a "help request".  I had already sent her a message answering her order question she had just placed.  I didn't respond to the "help" request because that would have been SPAM in my opinion. 

I reached out to Etsy, and  was told I have to respond to the "Help" requests within 24 hours.  I even said can you see the message where I responded the day before.  She said it didn't matter, the "help" requests need to be responded to. 

I had this happen to another customer, I apologized to her for sending another email that I had answered her question when you ordered.  I told her I am sorry I am responding to her message but If I don't it will impact my shops Star Seller rating.  

1 Like

Jump to solution

Yeah, just spam them or else Etsy will punish you.

1 Like

Jump to solution

Hello there,

Messages from the same buyer will now be consolidated into fewer threads. However, when a buyer reaches out via the Help With Order request, a new thread will be created which needs a response separately. These types of message threads need to be responded to in 24 hours to be counted positively toward your Star Seller score. New threads will now have notification badges showing if a message is a buyer’s first time contacting you, or a new help with an order request

For more information about this, you may check out the Message Response rate section in this Help Article.

On the other hand, prior to posting in a thread in the Forums, we ask that you please check if you are not bumping an old thread that hasn't seen any activity in a few months (or years, even). If that is the case, and you still would like to share your thoughts and get the conversation going - whether about this or similar topics, we ask that you start your own thread instead of bumping an old one.

Please note that reviving old threads can cause confusion for members reading, so always check the dates of the most recent replies before posting. You can find this information on the top-left corner of each message, just below the member's username and profile picture.

Having said that, we are closing this thread as it is indeed a bit older.

Thank you very much!

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.