Digital Downloads and Customers

Is anyone else having issues with having to spend a large portion of their day emailing and sending digital downloads because customers can't find them?? Their email links do mot work as long as they have the app or they never receive the email link. Then when told to use their browser they get sent back to the app. For the fees I pay the app should allow pdf downloads.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
11 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Re: Digital Downloads and Customers

If they are really using a browser, they just click on the download link next to their purchase. Sounds like a user error on the buyer's part.

1 Like
CuriousityShop
Conversation Maker

I have had two buyers in two days say they can't find their downloads. I give them the instructions to find them. Etsy messing around again.

2 Likes

I had to use one of the picture slots for download instructions. That seems to have worked....for now.

2 Likes

@ShieldMaidenCrochet  Yes, I have constantly encountered this issue. There were even two cases when I had to refund money because customers couldn't download the products. It happened because they messaged me during my nighttime, and I responded only after a few hours. By that time, they were already angry and requesting refunds. Unfortunately, Etsy doesn't seem to care about this matter. They even mention in their help section that you can't download from the Etsy app. https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/115013328108-How-to-Download-a-Digital-Item?segment=shopping This has been going on for years, and I doubt it will be fixed in the foreseeable future.

All you can do is write directly on the images about this issue, as well as in the product description (although no one ever reads it). Additionally, I usually leave automated messages overnight, explaining how to download the product. However, apart from customers not being able to download from the app, there is another problem. If they pay with Apple Pay, as far as I understand, a new Etsy account is created, while the product remains in the old account, or vice versa... In short, there is confusion, and customers often write that they can't find the product. In such cases, I simply send it to them via message. So, with Etsy, all you can do is complain. I've posted about this multiple times myself. But there's nothing to be done. It seems like you have to accept it and find ways to work around it on your own. Sorry... 

3 Likes
KnitcroAddict
Inspiration Seeker

YES! Customers are constantly upset that they don't see their orders. I try to explain that they've inadvertently created two accounts etc. Between that and the app/download issues, I spend all my time here dealing with issues completely not of my making as well. Etsy charges the highest commissions and fees and has the absolute worst system for digital sellers. They do absolutely nothing to help us and even infer to the customers that it's our fault by telling them to contact us when they have any issues. Sorry to rant, and I'm sorry you have to deal with it as well. I guess we just have to suck it up, which is the most frustrating part. 

1 Like
TimeInFantasy
Conversation Maker

This has been a major issue for years but Etsy is unwilling to make the etsy App working for instant download despite all the updates they are doing to the App. I wish etsy pays more attention to the instant download aspect as many instant download buyers are etsy app users

0 Likes
CuriousityShop
Conversation Maker

Putting a message in as picture. Only about 220 more listings to go.

0 Likes

@ShieldMaidenCrochet What I do is add a mandatory personalization that appears under Title words and it is above the cart button that says "To Download for digital pdf pattern: Sign in to Etsy & Go to Purchases and reviews. Next to the order, select Download Files." They can't add the item to the cart until they enter yes or sometimes they put ok. Sometimes I add "I am aware this is a digital download and not a physical item. To Download for digital pdf pattern: Sign in to Etsy & Go to Purchases and reviews. Next to the order, select Download Files." I also add that you can;t download via the app.  This way they are aware of how to download it. I also will add a photo and in the photo it states the same thing and directions on how to download the files. This has made a huge difference for me adding these. I hope it helps. 

1 Like

Yes! I came here to see if anyone else is experiencing this same issue. I have had three customers in two different stores have problems with the downloading process. Thanks for the post. 

0 Likes
KnitcroAddict
Inspiration Seeker

Yes, yes and yes. I spend 99.999% of my time on Etsy dealing with mostly upset and confused customers. I've tried all the advice I've received on the forums, but I haven't had much success. It's just not the platform for selling digital downloads, but they have the lead in traffic, so here we are. I feel for you! I think about selling the business sometimes it gets so frustrating. If customers understand it wasn't on the sellers, I could manage it fine. It's the customers that are insistent that I somehow caused it that wear me down. The ones that message me that they're having trouble printing the pattern and want a refund are even tolerable compared to the angry download problems lol. 

1 Like
CuriousityShop
Conversation Maker

That's weird. I sell downloads and don't have many problems at all with customers. If I do it's because I made a mistake in my digital pattern or the customer didn't read the whole description (Yeah, Etsy THANKS for hiding them!) (Sarcasm)

I have the download instructions in each of my digital listing pictures section. I make my downloads in PDF form, so they are easy to print. I think I had one person who was having problems, but I think she was not experienced in printing as a whole.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.