Did we speak-and they listened? Listing page layout changed back for some

So after participating in many threads about the new page test design hiding the listing description in a drop down box under the main photograph, someone just responded that their page has changed back to the details being shown on the right again, like it was before. I just checked my own shop and yep-my listing pages are also back to the old layout now. Could everyone that posted about the change please look at an item they have in their shop to see if that display has changed back for them as well? Is this happening to all of us that complained about this new format?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
6 Likes
33 Replies
MissPussinBoots
Conversation Maker

Re: Did we speak-and they listened? Listing page layout changed back for some

Yup. Mine is back to 'normal' with the description on the right and the reviews under the photos. My slow loading issue has also cleared up...

3 Likes

Most tests last about 4 days, whether we complain or not.

4 Likes
Vintorious
Community Maker

Mine are back on the right side as well.

3 Likes

@Vintorious I'm starting to think Etsy is the husband in that movie Gaslight......LOL. I know I'm starting to doubt my own sanity sometimes with all these tests.

9 Likes
Vintorious
Community Maker

All of the gaslighting, with none of the Charles Boyer charm? LOL

6 Likes

Pretty sure it's just a test. Descriptions never changed location for me which just means I'm not in the text (yet). 

2 Likes

Like WitticismsRus my account was never included in the test. If I was signed in no matter what browser I used I always saw the descriptions, etc. on the right side of the photos.

Just checked & going incognito on any browser I no longer see the test format - the description, etc. under the photos but only accessed by clicking on the "v" to see the details. The descriptions, etc. are now back on the right side of the photos. 

Now I guess Etsy could decide to drop my account into the test, but for the moment everything is back to the way it's been for a while now.

3 Likes

@Vintorious  I've been playing this scene in my head-in Black and white. Etsy (Husband) "Are you quite sure you feel ok darling? I just looked and everything looks the same to me. Perhaps you need to lie down"     Me (seller) *confusedly holds hand to brow and whimpers* " Really darling? But I could have SWORN it was all different just a minute ago....perhaps...maybe...I do need to lie down after all"......

5 Likes
Vintorious
Community Maker

@QuirkyAntiquesStore Is the husband's face a big orange square, or a big blue one?

2 Likes

Etsy did not listen to you or anyone else.  They ran the test in your shop so you saw it this way and then ended it while they tested something else or somebody else's shop.  They have been testing where to put descriptions for years now and aren't about to settle on a place anytime soon.

4 Likes

I was “in” the test when I used the browser Safari, and not in the test when using the browser Brave. This morning my shop showed within the test on Safari—I know because I literally showed it to someone else and it was still in the test. This afternoon, though, using the same device and browser, my account is out of the test and shown as “back to normal” with the listing description back to the right of the photos.

I don’t know about the length of tests lasting or not lasting. I can tell you I posted about a non-seller family member’s account being in a similar but worse test 4 months ago in another thread. At that time her account only showed listing info in drop-down format UNDER the reviews/review photos, which were shown directly under the listing photos. I know her account was still that way a few weeks ago too, so it really might be dependent on the data Etsy collects from the person or even if they complain. My family member rarely shops here, so she wouldn’t give a lot of data and she’s only a buyer, so she wouldn’t be complaining in the forum either.

1 Like

@QuirkyAntiquesStore: "Is this happening to all of us that complained about this new format?" At the risk of sounding cynical it is more likely that the impact to Etsy's bottom line due to the change had more effect on the decision than any feedback from sellers.

8 Likes

@BagmakerSupply agreed! Someone higher up the chain probably got wind of what was going on (or NOT going on, as in sales) and flipped their lids. It’s interesting that I’ve had no sales this month, up until today, when descriptions were once again visible.

3 Likes

@BagmakerSupply I do feel that Etsy does actually monitor reddit and other forums where buyers post, just not here because they don't care about sellers opinions. I'm under no illusion that any seller noise makes a dent. Buyer noise however....possibly a whole different animal.

3 Likes

@QuirkyAntiquesStore I know Etsy might not be the brightest company, but you can bet they’re monitoring all the PR they receive. They’d be far beyond stupid not to. They don’t care what sellers say much because they know we have very little option to leave, but they do read these forums and know what we’re talking about.

2 Likes

@QuirkyAntiquesStore: I cannot imagine that they do not monitor social media etc, but it is hard to tell how much influence it has in decision making on things like this. Completely agree with you about "Buyer noise" but I do wonder how many buyers (who are not also sellers) took the time to complain anywhere public.

0 Likes
SewlyButtons
Conversation Maker

Whatever the reason...  the description is once again partially visible to the right of the images. At least a shopper knows there is something there with more to be seen.
That was the stupidest test ever!

4 Likes

For a lot of us things never changed, the descriptions stayed on the right side so your shop didn’t change back, you just got out of the test group. 

1 Like
dorothydomingo
Conversation Maker

I was in the test, and now the listings descriptions are back on the right side (still slightly hidden under a "learn more about this item" arrow. I hope they are done monkeying with listing layout until after the holidays.

3 Likes

Mine are back to normal as well.

2 Likes

Yes, I'm really happy it is back to normal!

2 Likes

@OmAgainVintage: "Off to change my shop announcement." But what if you are just longer in the test but others still are? Remember that tests are done on viewing accounts not selling accounts. On Etsy, with all of its testing, you can never assume that anyone else is being served things like listings the same way you are.

3 Likes

My listings are back to normal as well:)

Off to change my shop announcement.

1 Like

Thank goodness mine are back in place too. After answering so many questions from shoppers who couldn't find the details/descriptions. Another stupid idea and frustrating test. 

3 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.