Did I miss something

I have noticed that the word " Amazonite " does not come up in my tag words. After looking at other Amazonite listings through other shops, it doesn't come up in anyone's tags. Did I miss something about Amazonite? 

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
32 Replies

Re: Did I miss something

I see that Etsy has over 1,000 amazonite gemstone listings. 

0 Likes

The listings appear, but the word Amazonite does not appear in the tags. I have Amazonite earrings in my shop and have added " Amazonite earrings as a " Tag word " but it doesn't appear in my Tag words underneath the listing.

If you click on one of the Amazonite products you are seeing, scroll down to their Tag words, you will not see Amazonite in their tags 

1 Like

I am seeing Amazonite as an attribute on all of your amazonite pieces - did you add that yourself, or did Etsy move it from your tags? 

Do you still see the amazonite tags on your listings when you edit them? 

0 Likes

Yes, I have got Amazonite earrings or Amazonite pendant in my tags when editing but they don't appear in the tags once you publish them. It just looks like I haven't used all my 13 tags 

Everything else I have written into the listing still appears. 

1 Like

@KlaassyArtsFinest did you add the attribute yourself or is that something Etsy did?

I checked some other gemstones - including some I sell - and they are all fine. This is very odd...

0 Likes

@cindylouwho2 I've gone brain dead, What's attributes? 

If you can, add the word Amazonite into one of your listings tag words and then publish, go to that listing on your shop front, click on it and look at your tags, it won't be there 

0 Likes

@KlaassyArtsFinest I believe you when you say the tag won't show up. 

I am asking if you selected the gemstone attribute for amazonite in the listing. https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/115014502508-How-to-Use-Attributes-When-Listing-an-Item?segm...

I am trying to determine if Etsy is replacing some tags with attributes. They've added attributes without seller knowledge before. 

Of course, @BagmakerSupply could also be correct and this is just a bot being overzealous about Amazon. In my mind right now, this one's a toss up 
: - )

0 Likes

Yes, I added the Amazonite into the Gemstone attribute 

0 Likes

@KlaassyArtsFinest: I don't think that Etsy ever claims to use tags for anything but search, although clearly they selectively use them at the bottom of listings as suggested searches. Perhaps the name is too similar to that of a competitor's site?

0 Likes
MaynardMillinery
Conversation Maker

I see the new "Gift" search related tags have replaced a number of your tags.

On mine, they've added "Gift for Boyfriend" "Gift for Son" "Gift for Dad" to one of my ladies cocktail hat listings *insert eyeroll emoji here*

1 Like

@MaynardMillinery they did that last year. In retrospect, it was probably about Gift Mode, although they could also be added as paths out of the listing for no other reason.

Those "tags" generally do not show up when you search your shop, so they aren't really tags. They do show up in search, though, so all of my jewellery listings are now housewarming gifts LOL

3 Likes

I'm 100% convinced they added all those dumb unrelated 'gift' tags while they were building gift mode. It was probably the easiest way to train the bots how to pick the right one for that listing. 

OP I added 'amazonite earrings' to one of my listings, currently it's not showing up but I'll check on it later in case it's slow to pick up. How interesting.

1 Like
MaynardMillinery
Conversation Maker

@cindylouwho2  They’re in the grey tabbed tags - More related searches. Below the thumbnailpictures tags. The grey tags are tags that only you have used an no one else, or not enough people have also used it to give it its own thumbnailgrouping. Anyway, I digress, up until this new gift search was rolled out, all my grey tags were correct, and now this week, suddenly, ladies event headwear is the perfect gift for a man…

0 Likes

@MaynardMillinery yes, I know where one can see them, but since those words are not searchable in your shop, they are not true tags. 

Many of mine were wrong when they were added the last fall. 

0 Likes
MaynardMillinery
Conversation Maker

@cindylouwho2  Yes, but my point is, my hats are now grouped for men in the in the new gift search programme. Those new tags will be utilised from that. Someone goes to the gift search, clicks “Gift for Boyfriend” and one of my light fluffy hat ready for a spring wedding is going to pop up. Perfect, let’s order him one of them! Etsy knows him too well (again - insert eye roll emoji here) Another completely flawed “tool”. Yay thanks!

0 Likes

@MaynardMillinery and, as I said, my jewellery is supposedly a housewarming gift. But we don't have to worry about showing up for those searches unless we have spectacular quality scores, and we certainly won't show up in Gift Mode without them. 

Also, they didn't replace old tags, they simply added to them. I have items with as many as 28 tags now LOL

0 Likes

There are a number of gemstones that Etsy hasn't included on their drop-down lists.   As a seller who often uses rare natural gemstones, it's very frustrating.  But there seems to be naught we can do about it.

Curiously enough, Amazonite does show up as a choice in some places.

0 Likes
Amaradorn
Community Maker

@KlaassyArtsFinest @cindylouwho2 

Hmm, that is odd. I just checked my listing: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/237315066/

I have 'Amazonite Earrings' in the tags but I don't see that tag on the published listing. It looks like that's the only one which is missing.

I have 'Amazonite Gemstone' in the materials list - that is still showing on the published listing.

I did not select 'Amazonite' in the gemstone attribute list because when I created the listing, amazonite was not an option. I now see that it is in the list, but it has not been applied (when viewing the listing in edit mode).

I like to display the full materials list, so I don't tend to use material attributes otherwise it shows that instead of my full list.

I should still be ranking for 'Amazonite' because it's in the title, right?

I also have a necklace in my shop which has the same issue. (amazonite tag is not showing on the published listing)

1 Like

I have also noticed when you click on your Amazonite listing it would normally show other Amazonite listing above in the "similar to " section, but it doesn't show any Amazonite listings at all, just other gemstone jewellery 

1 Like
Amaradorn
Community Maker

@KlaassyArtsFinest that might a search thing. If you clicked on my direct link then it does not normally show similar listings along the top. I think.

0 Likes

@Amaradorn yes, the tags don't get any extra weight, so having it in the title is fine for search. I can search the shops with amazonite & find your amazonite, so those items will show up. 

1 Like

Checked my listing again - it's been 3 hours and the added keyword still isn't there. 

Also noticed if I try to search 'amazonite' in the search bar, the auto-complete doesn't suggest it. There's no way that's not a popular enough search to come up on auto-complete.

1 Like

@BriarMoonBeads "Also noticed if I try to search 'amazonite' in the search bar, the auto-complete doesn't suggest it." - confirmed. 

So that means Etsy removed this manually from search suggestions, possibly via AI bots who think people are searching for the ecommerce site. (especially since some of the amazonite listings do not show the amazonite attribute, so that means Etsy isn't moving gemstones from tags to attributes. I would not have put that past them, so it was important to rule out)

Oddly enough, though, "ebay" still comes up in the auto-complete. 

1 Like

I just checked the only listing I have at present with Amazonite; I had Amazonite earrings in the tags; it too is not showing on the listing. I have now added Amazonite as a gemstone attribute; it was not there when I listed the item.

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.