HeathersDigitals
Inspiration Seeker

Deactivate svg

I am shocked and disapointed and hope someone can help me . I have been trying to list original digital artwork of mine for over weeks and it keeps getting deactivated by Etsy moments after I post them. They sent me an email but the email contained no details. There were no copyright issues. I have never received an email or call back form a higher level tech support.

Also, within the last couple of weeks, whenever my svg bundles are renewed or edited (even just price), the Etsy bot seems to be deactivating them only to reinstate them a few days later. Each one has no real relation to the other. All my titles are generic. Nothing I'm doing is IP infringement, or against policy.. Anyone else having this issue? This is a really bad time of the year for technical issues. I follow all the rules

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
18 Replies
nineteen27
Community Maker

Re: Deactivate svg

grrrr.

i said i would not be in these types of threads.

1 Like
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

Yet you always seem to be, don't you? 

It's okay. Don't worry.

5 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

ityafmaltaikwyadaidcwystm.

0 Likes

Well, Cocomelon is trademarked, and I believe you need to get permission from schools to use their logo and/or name

4 Likes
LeParisMetro
Conversation Maker

You have quite a few IP issues in your shop but you say you are not infringing?  Is someone else posting your listings and you are not aware of what they are doing? That is the only reason I can think of that you could claim ignorance of what is in your shop. It sounds like it is time for you to double check their work.  If you have a license from the IP holder, you need to make sure it is shown very clearly in those listings.

2 Likes

Not to mention Stranger Things too. When it is a trademark infringement, etsy will not explain or get back to you. They are cracking down and complying with trademark laws even before the IP holders alert them.

7 Likes

You need to read up on copyright and trademark infringement since so many of your items fall under that category. The bots look for words that you can’t use like coral, Tiffany blue, amber, Havana, and Cuba. They also seem to find words that are copyright and trademark and they get taken down also. We can’t tell what words the bots found but judging by your other listings they might be correct in taking them down. 

0 Likes
Amaradorn
Community Maker

Whilst some of you designs might fall under the parody exception, many might not. 'Onesie' for instance is trademarked by Gerber and they have been hot at taking down infringements in the past. I would suggest running all your designs past an Intellectual Property lawyer just to be on the safe side. 

I have seen similar posts from other svg sellers here on the forums so there is something odd going on with svgs right now.

0 Likes

@HeathersDigitals 

Nothing I'm doing is IP infringement

onesie

stranger things

storm trooper (in the tags)

alexa

cricut has a load of angel type policies, not sure if you can just use it in a tag, I think it has to be properly referenced - but you need to check that with cricut

3 Likes
GieseDeseiGns
Conversation Maker

Reading Rainbow.

2 Likes

https://www.etsy.com/seller-handbook/article/the-ultimate-guide-to-intellectual/22398703823

https://www.etsy.com/ca/seller-handbook/article/fan-art-and-fair-use-one-truth-and-five/39402098770

https://www.etsy.com/ca/legal/prohibited/

"Unauthorised replicas or copies of items are prohibited on Etsy. We consider counterfeit or unauthorised goods to be items that imitate an authentic good, particularly by using a brand’s name, logo, or protected design without the brand owner’s consent. Additionally, we may consider up-cycled or repurposed items, even if using authentic materials, to be counterfeit if they are making use of a brand's name, logo, or protected design without their permission."

5 Likes
SmudgePlant
Community Maker

There was a post that I read earlier in the day (or maybe last night) where a SVG seller had the same experience. All of that Sellers work was original designs.

The bots are in overdrive.

Here, it was in this post, not the OP but further down: https://community.etsy.com/t5/Managing-Your-Shop/Contacting-Etsy-Support/m-p/139571938#M1454663

0 Likes
TastefulArtisan
Conversation Maker

"Additionally, we may consider up-cycled or repurposed items, even if using authentic materials, to be counterfeit"

Out of curiosity...isn't this the very definition of how and why Etsy is here? Repurposed, up-cycled are both terms to make something new out of something old. I get how a key fob made from an authentic Louie and marketed *as* a Louie could be infringement but wouldn't these big brands get benefit from someone sporting a LV or Chanel or Coach, etc. I don't sell those types of things but I made (for myself) a key fob from one of my older Coach handbags. I would never sell it (far too fond of my house to have it taken by a lawsuit) but I would think that since I paid full retail price, it's mine to do with as I see fit. 

Now the LV wallet I recently saw right here on Etsy for a mere 35.00 that claimed it is authentic and new would certainly fall under that counterfeit clause. It also looked new. It looked a lot like the wallet my youngest son had. I was with him in Vegas when he bought it at the Bellagio and it was most defiantly not 35.00 

How do people get away with that when Etsy's policy is somewhat clear? One of my Coach handbags is 22 years old. It was actually my first. So, if I was inclined, which I'm not, doesn't that fall under the vintage clause and as such, wouldn't I be able to say it's a Vintage Coach Handbag since that what it is? I think Etsy's policies are written by a lawyer. Talking out of both sides of their mouth. (no offense to lawyers, they get a bad rap!)

ETA: I hijacked another thread. I'm sorry!

0 Likes

@TastefulArtisan 

I have reported fake "designer" items to Etsy.  There are particular sellers from a certain Middle-Eastern European country (famous for rug making) that sell fake designer leather openly.

Etsy takes the item down, but leaves the shop up.

They have a myriad of chances, so they just relist an identical item again.

Etsy SEEMS not to care.

4 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

It's like some game Etsy is playing just for fun

Etsy takes it down.
Seller puts it back up.

Etsy takes it down.
Seller puts it back up

Etsy takes it down.
Seller puts it back up

Etsy takes it down.
Seller puts it back up

Etsy takes it down.
Seller puts it back up

6 Likes
TastefulArtisan
Conversation Maker

@OneEyeCatStudio

Oh man. Now I have that in my head like a darn jingle.

You put your left foot in, you put left foot out and...yeah. That's going to be in my head the rest of the night!

@PlatypusDream

How very shady of those people. Sadly, there wouldn't be a market for them if people want designer but don't want to pay for designer. The thought of the poor people working for pennies in some dank factory to make hundreds and thousands of knockoffs just so some wannabe can sport arm candy makes my blood boil. 

0 Likes
Jewels2at
Community Maker

Your Top Dad emblem is using what I think is the US Navy Top Gun emblem.  That is a trademark issue.  And, from what I have heard, I don't think the US armed forces are a fan of trademark infringements.

2 Likes

@HeathersDigitals  :  There seems to a general crackdown on SVGs - they have all but disappeared from suggestion when you search. and there are lots of reports of deactivations in this forum. This is probably because so much (most?) of it is copies, reselling, outright theft, infringing, etc. We don't sell SVGs so it does not impact us, but it appears to be just another example of how sellers who don't care about the rules or the laws have ruined it for legitimate sellers.

3 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.