MisfitFarmsMerch
Inspiration Seeker

DOES SUPPORT EVEN EXIST ANYMORE? Prohibited items still live and selling two weeks after reporting??

Jump to solution

Hello. Based on what I sell, I get recommendations for products, as I am sure everyone does. Here lately, I have seen many sellers (some new but many that have had multiple sales) selling prohibited items (live animals), and even though I have reported both the listings and the shops, they are all still up two weeks later?? What is the point of reporting if they do nothing? It is really irritating for those of us who follow the guidelines to get our shops overlooked in favor of someone selling items they know they shouldn't...I tried to reach out to a few sellers to let them know in case they were not aware and, of course, was accosted and called names...so at this point, all I can do is keep reporting. How long do they take to take action??

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: DOES SUPPORT EVEN EXIST ANYMORE? Prohibited items still live and selling two weeks after reporti

Jump to solution

Keep reporting and add a link to Etsy's legal prohibited page:

Prohibited Items Policy - Our House Rules | Etsy

and also quote:

''The following are examples of animal products that may not be sold on Etsy:

1. Live animals.''

'

View solution in original post

6 Likes
43 Replies

Re: DOES SUPPORT EVEN EXIST ANYMORE? Prohibited items still live and selling two weeks after reporti

Jump to solution

There is no support on Etsy except in the forums, which is not consistent. There is no phone support and they don't answer emails. 

3 Likes

Jump to solution

I disagree about no phone support. @PinkCoyoteJewelry 

It's a long winded way of finding the option for a callback, but I have contacted Etsy and had a callback within minutes on several occasions.

4 Likes

Jump to solution

@PinkCoyoteJewelry This is not correct. There are chat and email options, and also a live customer service callback option:

Submit a request – Etsy Help

In some cases, it has taken longer than I expected to resolve my issues but 100% of the concerns I have brought up with Etsy support have been taken care of. 

I completely agree with you that there is lots of incorrect and inconsistent information in the forum. 

4 Likes

Jump to solution

What kind of live animals?

Etsy DOES remove items if you can quote the actual Prohibited Items policy, with a link. I have had good luck in the past with having banned items pulled.

If using the "Report" button doesn't work, open a chat AS A BUYER and outline exactly what the problem is.  Be persistent.

5 Likes

Jump to solution

FYI...

Every year some sellers try to sell "hatching eggs". They TRY to claim that they aren't "live animals".

2 Likes

Jump to solution

We live in a strange area where it's a  suburban/metropolitan location next to farm land.   

Our local PO *hates* those chicks.   She says they come in smelling terrible and haven't been fed so they never quiet down.   She's normally so nice and polite but one time I was waiting and heard her on the phone telling the recipient to "get down there immediately to pick them up".    Whew!

I don't have a problem with the whole novelty of mailing a potato with a postage stamp but I'm not sure USPS is the right venue for anything living/breathing.   I know what they sometimes do with my ribbon, lol.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Etsy is making money off of them. And it is against the rules to contact those shops.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Keep reporting and add a link to Etsy's legal prohibited page:

Prohibited Items Policy - Our House Rules | Etsy

and also quote:

''The following are examples of animal products that may not be sold on Etsy:

1. Live animals.''

'

6 Likes
MisfitFarmsMerch
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Great idea! Thank you! 

1 Like

Jump to solution

OMG I had no idea they allowed the selling of live animals on here, that’s a real deal breaker for me. I don’t want to be associated with anything ropey involving animals. Thanks for the information, I’m off to investigate further…

4 Likes
AnnaleasFinest
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@LovespangleDesigns 

it is not allowed.

Question is, when will Etsy get around to removing these listings. 

5 Likes

Jump to solution

If they’re not stopping it, they’re allowing it! No excuses Etsy, if we can find them in a quick search, so can you.

8 Likes

Jump to solution

@LovespangleDesigns    Think for a minute.  Etsy is not a curated site.  Everyone is supposed to read the rules.  Not everyone does so many people think they can circumvent the rules until they get caught.

0 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

"If they’re not stopping it, they’re allowing it!"

Yes.

This is Etsy's way of making money off of things like resellers, counterfeiters, dirty panty sellers, etc. while distancing themselves from it.

6 Likes
Jewels2at
Community Maker

Jump to solution

I report...usually nothing happens...but I am optimistic.  I still report.

3 Likes
MisfitFarmsMerch
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I initially tried to reach out to new sellers thinking maybe they didn't understand the rules or read them all the way, but I stopped when one person said, "Mind your own business, Karen. There are 50 other shops selling live animals, so quit being a tattletale." My problem with this is that these same shops have bad reviews from people saying their animals arrived dead! And once that happens, the buyers have no recourse because they usually know it is against policy to buy them on Etsy, and the sellers know this too! 

1 Like

Jump to solution

If someone buys a prohibited item here that does not mean they cannot open a case. Those cases are fairly immediately refunded from the sellers account no matter the order total.

1 Like
BlueAgateFarms
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Live animals!  I hope this is hyperbole.  But sadly, I know it is likely not.  Brave of you to reach out to them, they know they are violating the policies of Etsy.  Look at how many want shop critiques of their listings for smoothie blenders and Taylor Swift POD tee shirts.  Until Etsy takes action, there is no hope.  I had a necklace removed because of my use of the word amber to describe the color.  If the Etsy bots just removed listings with obvious IP issues, half of the stores would close.  But we know that is unlikely to happen. Kudos to you for fighting the good fight.

3 Likes

Jump to solution

Are you new here? Lol

3 Likes
MisfitFarmsMerch
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

To the forum, yes, but not to Etsy

0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@MisfitFarmsMerch   I'm surprised that you are surprised.  I have reported shops a year ago that are still active.  Etsy is making money from these listings, so they don't care about their reputation OR their legitimate sellers.  There are plenty more joining up every day.  Of course, they will eventually kill the site, but they aren't thinking about tomorrow, because they're cleaning up financially today.

4 Likes
Jewels2at
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@JustMeToo  is correct.  Etsy appears to only be closing the shops where Etsy has had legal issues, or laws are going into effect. 

Examples:  Amber and FDA

Otherwise Etsy will leave the shops open to make their money. Etsy would never survive if they actually only did handmade, vintage, and supplies.

2 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@Jewels2at   I understand if etsy needs a lot of these shops.  What angers me is that they don't get honest with their legitimate sellers, and remove the "report this shop" from the front page of every shop - at least where it concerns resellers.  They pretend they want us policing the site for them, but then nothing is done.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

I took me 30 seconds to find one selling live eggs who's in Williston Florida, 15 minutes from me here on Gainesville. Ugh. I had no idea. 

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.