Chrysalism
Conversation Maker

Customers not receiving correct discount when running multiple sales.

For years I've run sales with multiple tiers (10%, 20%, or 30% depending on the item). When a customer buys two items together with different percentage sales, both discounts are supposed to apply to their corresponding items.

Recently Etsy quietly changed their programming and now only one sale can be applied in the cart. So if my customer chooses a 10% off item and a 20% off item, it will apply only whichever discount is greater.

Example #1:

1 $30 item at 10% off
1 $30 item at 20% off
Only $6 discount applied (20% off the second item only) instead of the $9 discount they should be receiving for both items together.

Example #2:

1 $30 item at 10% off
1 $10 item at 20% off
Only $3 discount instead of the $5 discount they should receive.

The last transaction I have where two different percentages were properly applied was December 4th, and the glitch first appeared on an order from Dec. 17th. Not sure exactly when this started or how many multi-item orders this has cost me.

Since we all know Etsy will never do anything to fix this, I now have to choose between running tiered sales and potentially losing customers, running a uniform high percentage discount and losing money on items I normally would not discount deeply, or running a uniform low percentage discount which may deter buyers looking for a deal.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
5 Likes
9 Replies

Re: Customers not receiving correct discount when running multiple sales.

Yes, we’ve run into this recently, too. This should get fixed!

4 Likes
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

Etsy has never stacked discounts to my knowledge (with the exception of a discount coupled with a free shipping offer).  When you have more than one discount current in your shop the customer will only get the one that gives them the highest discount.  Also, when you have a minimum spend requirement for a discount to apply, it will be applied to everything in your shop, you can't select only certain items to get a discount with a minimum purchase.  

1 Like
Chrysalism
Conversation Maker

Please re-read my post. Etsy has always allowed sellers to set different sales percentages on different items. You do not have to choose one percentage for your entire shop. It was working correctly before December 4th and suddenly changed.  

7 Likes

Stacked discounts don't apply when applying 2 different coupons, not different sale %s as the OP is doing.

I've purchased from shops that had different % sale rates for the listings and the cart would show each sale price correctly.  However, the OP is correct, there is something wrong now.  I first put one 20% item in my cart and it stayed 20% off.  After adding a second item that was 10% off, that item reverted back to the original price and stayed at that price.  The first was still 20% off.

Tried again with two different items, but reversed - first one 10%, the second one 20%.  After adding the second one, both were now 10% off.  Very strange that both instances were wrong and it could be confusing potential buyers.

5 Likes

same thing happened to this seller in September.

https://community.etsy.com/t5/All-Things-Finance/1-2-4-Etsy-says/m-p/143375482

Looks to be an intermittent bug, if the OP had it correctly applied at beginning of December.

3 Likes
HotOffHerHook
Conversation Maker

I've always been under the impression that only one percentage off discount applied, at a time, but Ive never tried sales the way OP speaks of, so….I did learn the hard way neat FS gets applied in addition to any %s off and so had too more moire careful in setting some things up.  Right now I have FS which is basically as giving at least 20% off my items, and I made sure I stopped the abandoned cart, TY's %s so as not to run them at the same time.  It's gotten hard enough to sell on Etsy let alone always trying to get more creative, especially on top of some obvious creativity, you know?  

0 Likes

My sales are clearance sales, and there are 4 different percentages off currently. Fortunately, I haven't run into this problem yet, but there's no way of knowing how many people just walk away when they don't see the correct percentages in the cart. That's really frustrating. 

1 Like

@cindylouwho2 I just put one 40% off necklace of yours in my cart and then added a 20% off necklace.  The sale prices remained the same.  Added a third item, earrings at 50% off, and all three were still showing the correct %off and sale prices.  Why is this not the case for the OP?

3 Likes

@TheVintagePineapple 

Thank you for checking for me! 

There's probably some backend reason that isn't evident to any of us from the shop or buyer account itself. That other thread seemed to indicate the problem cleared up for that OP's own cart but not for their customers. 

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.