Customers digital files not being translated

I’m still relatively new to selling on Etsy and one of my customers messaged me saying that when she bought her digital crochet pattern (originally in English) it was supposed to translate to French. She even bought it twice and it didn’t come translated. I’ve never heard of this feature before and don’t know how to handle the situation. Any help is much appreciated!

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
7 Replies

Re: Customers digital files not being translated

When someone in another country views Etsy, it translates to their language. Some do not realise this does not included files downloaded.

You will have to put on the listings "English Only" 

4 Likes

As far as I know, Etsy does not translate the PDF files to any other language; they are displayed in the language they are created in. I don't know if free PDF viewers offer translation features or how a PDF can be translated some other way - but this seems like something your customer needs to figure out. You should refund the 2nd purchase.

2 Likes

Refund them in full,

and don't make patterns that use trademarks, so nothing hat is inspired by anything that might be popular

1 Like
michellepatterns
Conversation Maker

There isn't a way to do this so go ahead and refund them and then turn off auto-translate on your descriptions. 

The description here on etsy can be translated automatically if you have this feature turned on.  It's only the description that gets translated and not your pattern.  So when a buyer reads the description in their language they think they are getting a pattern in their language and they are not.

Figure out (google it) how to turn off auto translate of your descriptions or you'll continue to have these types of issues.

0 Likes

I would not turn of auto translate.  It would be much easier and better to include information that the pattern is in English only.  There are many buyers that can read English patterns even if English is not their native tongue. 

0 Likes

Add this to your description and maybe even one of your pictures....'Language - ENGLISH'.

0 Likes

For your listings, indicate in photos and, title and description that the language is English only.   

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.