Customer trying to order but won't go through

I have a customer trying to place an order but it keeps getting canceled by Etsy. It's showing up on my end as canceled each time and with a charge for .20 cents for sold but then an immediate credit from Etsy. Each cancellation also has an order number but says canceled and not paid. This is a prior customer and they didn't have issues before. Any tech issues going on right now or any ideas to why this is happening? They have tried to order a few times and I can't chat with support right now since it's closed.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
15 Replies

Re: Customer trying to order but won't go through

If they are trying different payment methods, they should contact Etsy to ask if there is an issue. If they keep trying with the same payment method, they need to try another one. 

The customer needs to be the one to contact Etsy.

1 Like

I'm not sure if they are using different methods or the same one. It must be a problem with the payment method. I'll let the customer know to contact Etsy.

1 Like
PinkBirdCottage
Conversation Maker

I would put RESERVE on the item so no one else can purchase and then just be chill till it happens. If it’s reserved customer won’t worry either. 

0 Likes
givemeacrown
Conversation Maker

If they contact their payment provider (e.g. credit card provider, PayPal, etc) then they may be able to see why the payment is being cancelled. Sometimes for instance a credit card provider may consider a payment out of the ordinary and decide to block it until they get a call from the card holder to say that it's intentional.

4 Likes
ZenCatPottery
Conversation Maker

This is a problem with their financing.  They need to figure it out.  There is nothing you can do.

5 Likes

I think it might be an issue with Etsy as I’ve had 10 cancelled orders over night, all from different people and in a few different countries. They’re all in my completed section but have been cancelled by Etsy. 

1 Like

I ended up chatting with Etsy support today anyway and they said there was a problem with certain payment methods yesterday and it was causing orders to be cancelled. They said it's cleared up now so I let my customer know.

1 Like

@MollysCellar: "... I can't chat with support right now ..." There is nothing a shop can do in a situation like this and Etsy will not discuss a buyer's payment issues with a shop. Depending on where in the process the payment fails, a shop may not even be aware that a payment or order was not accepted. Payments can fail for many reasons, from the obvious 'no money' or bad card information to 'excessive retries' or not passing some suspicious transactions test. Remember that a shop is not a party to a transaction until after the payment and order have been accepted by Etsy and its payment processor.

1 Like

I ended up chatting with Etsy this morning and it's actually a problem on Etsy's side with certain payment methods that was occurring yesterday. They said it's cleared up now.

1 Like

I think this may be a problem on Etsy's end, perhaps with the payment processer they use. I had two similar orders yesterday that were cancelled by Etsy. One has been able to complete the transaction since, by trying again. It definitely could be a problem with their payment method as well (expired card, insufficient funds, etc..)

1 Like

I actually ended up chatting with Etsy this morning and they said there was a problem yesterday with certain payment methods. I let my customer know so we will see if they are able to order today.

0 Likes

Good to know it's cleared up as I had a few cancelled orders as well!

1 Like

Sounds like some sort of testing glitch with payments

0 Likes
MoesMall
Inspiration Seeker

Did the orders that were canceled end up going through as I had one also.  First time I have encountered this.

0 Likes

Once Etsy cancels the orders, they are completed unsuccessfully and not resubmitted. The customer would have to go through the purchasing process again from scratch. I had 2 orders cancelled yesterday. Contacted both buyers. One has successfully repurchased and the other just contacted me about re-ordering but has not done so yet.  

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.