aRock4U
Crafty Poster

Customer picked up order, marked as such, star seller tracking penalty

Jump to solution

I had a local customer purchase 2 items, and needed them quickly,  so we arranged a pickup. I tagged the sale as such before hitting the completed order button,  yet was penalized for not having a tracking number,  what gives Etsy, and how to correct this? 

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Customer picked up order, marked as such, star seller tracking penalty

Jump to solution

Hello @aRock4U,

As of the moment, tracking metrics don’t account for local pickup or delivery. We don't support local pick-up or locally delivered orders, therefore, this would impact your Star Seller tracking & on-time shipping score. We recognize this is a pain point for sellers who use local pick-up and delivery.

While we’re always delighted to hear that our buyers and sellers want to form connections (IRL or otherwise), we don’t currently support local pickup/delivery. That’s not to say you can’t offer local pickup/delivery, it’s just that when you communicate with buyers off-site, without using Etsy tools (Messages, Etsy shipping labels, tracking), it might make it harder, or even impossible, for us to mediate any order issues or disputes.

In the meantime, please know that Etsy understands that Star Seller may not be viable for every shop. Star Seller is not a disciplinary program and sellers will not be penalized for low scores.

Thank you very much!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
27 Replies

Jump to solution

No correction. Etsy star seller is not set up for local delivery. Everything has to have tracking.

4 Likes

Jump to solution

Similar thing happened to me.  I shipped two orders together and got dinged for no tracking number.  Not sure why because I remember putting a tracking number into the computer so not sure what happened.

1 Like

Jump to solution

@MarKatKnitNCrochet did you put the tracking number on both orders? 

2 Likes

Jump to solution

This is by no way the answer, but I insist local purchases be made through Etsy, and then I explain to the Customer…simply, to clear the que, I need to send a tracking number, please just dismiss it…it’s one way to avoid being penalized 

2 Likes

Jump to solution

The problem with that approach is if Etsy finds out you can lose SS permanently. 

1 Like

Jump to solution

I’m curious, could You explain why? I haven’t done anything wrong…

0 Likes

Jump to solution

There is a risk a buyer could say they never received the item.  Etsy would look into the tracking and find that the number does not exist and was never delivered.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

@Vintagefangirlfinds how are you getting a 'tracking' number for an order without tracking? If you are just making a number up, that could absolutely blow up in your face for the reason @BordeauxBrocante mentions. Etsy would also see that as manipulation of the metrics for SSP and permanently disqualify you from ever getting the star.

If you are actually purchasing tracking in order to get that number, then Etsy has achieved one of the real goals of the SSP ... more revenue.

0 Likes
IndustrialBlonde
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

I think I read that another seller with an in person transaction mailed the buyer an invoice using the “tracked” letter shipping option through Etsy labels.  This gave the seller the required tracking number for star seller stats. 

1 Like

Jump to solution

The criteria is tracking OR an Etsy label.  You could send a receipt or thank you via etsy label first class letter at stamp rate. It would need to be in your shipping window to not get dinged as late shipping. There is still no tracking but it is an Etsy label. BUT if they ever came back with I bought  a couch and they just sent me a letter I assume Etsy would fully refund them. .. which they could do with a hand delivered order anyways..just report it as not received.  Hand delivery is a risk. Some have no issues but know the risk is there.

1 Like

Jump to solution

As stupid as this sounds your best course of action for a local sale like this would have been to either have the buyer pay for it locally (which falls into a grey area for fee avoidance) or the better option would to have been to print the cheapest tracked shipping option (enough to cover a piece of paper) and then mail the invoice in the tracked shipping envelope while the customer picks up the actual item locally. This satisfies the tracking requirement. 

I personally wish they didn't count light/cheaper items under $10, untracked, against your star seller badge. It would be so much easier and cost effective for the really cheap, thin, and light stuff. I wish I could slap some stamps on an envelope and toss it into a rigid mailer for some of the cheaper/lighter stuff versus eating the $4-5 shipping cost (here in the USA) or passing that cost onto your customer.

Just my two cents

0 Likes
mopata
Post Crafter

Jump to solution

An example of something Ebay figured out years ago that Etsy can't seem to do.  Lord knows, I have my issues with Ebay but, they are light years ahead of Etsy in technology and customer service.

1 Like

Jump to solution

I get dinged for this periodically because Etsy does not support local deliveries.  The star seller program is a very simplistic one.   Once in awhile I'll still receive a local order with a hand delivery request.  I always accommodate these regardless of the potential star loss.  It's far more important that my customers are supported.  I have asked repeat local customers who want hand deliveries to order directly from me.  This has worked out well. 

1 Like

Jump to solution

Okay, so I like to keep it on the up and up…It doesn’t happen very often that someone actually comes to pick up a purchase (maybe 4 times at most in the last year).

I insist that they pay through Etsy, even though once someone has offered to pay cash for a “savings” needless to say I didn’t get the sale, and I’m okay with that.

I simply, explain to the customer when they message, that yes indeed they can pick it up to save the shipping fees. They purchase through Etsy, we agree on a time that’s is suitable for pickup. I explain about them receiving a tracking number to clear the “que”. 

I then find a tracked package In My country, that has already been delivered within the last 10 days or so. I use that tracking number. it’s been delivered, I had already purchased the label from Etsy. I haven’t done anything wrong.

I also do this when someone orders an item and then orders a 2nd item separately in a close time frame. If I can package them together I refund the buyer the 2nd shipping cost, and I am able to clear the 2nd order by again using the same tracking number from the first order. 

I do appreciate the feedback though, and it got me thinking…perhaps I’ll reach out to Etsy instead to see if this can be resolved.

I actually appreciate how Etsy works for my shop, if you are to consider the fees and associated costs with working out a brick and mortar shop, I would/do tell everyone how amazing Etsy really is.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@Vintagefangirlfinds: Very strictly speaking, if you are knowingly putting a tracking number on an order which you know is incorrect that could be interpreted by Etsy as a fraudulent act.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

@BagmakerSupply

I had never thought of it this way, perhaps You are right…again I appreciate the insight, my first time in a forum, I was nervous at first, but I’m open to learning so I can grow  

0 Likes

Jump to solution

"I then find a tracked package In My country, that has already been delivered within the last 10 days or so. I use that tracking number. it’s been delivered, I had already purchased the label from Etsy. I haven’t done anything wrong."  This is a huge issue. To knowing add fraudulent tracking could get your shop closed. It wasn't fraudulent when it was originally used, but to add it later to a different package just to duck SS criteria is an issue.

1 Like

Jump to solution

@hopeandjoystudios

I had never thought of it this way, perhaps You are right…again I appreciate the insight, my first time in a forum, I was nervous at first, but I’m open to learning so I can grow . I just figured since Etsy is still getting their fees it wasn’t an issue. Better then the alternative @WoodsyWoodWorks mentioned by not being “in the grey area” 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

On a Side note…I’m not really ducking the SS criteria, I actually adhere to it and have made the time frame, just like I do with speedy replies, and star status, I’ve earned it but I also don’t want to be fraudulent so perhaps the best course of action is just to say no to pick ups…it’s only a few times a year

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Hello @aRock4U,

As of the moment, tracking metrics don’t account for local pickup or delivery. We don't support local pick-up or locally delivered orders, therefore, this would impact your Star Seller tracking & on-time shipping score. We recognize this is a pain point for sellers who use local pick-up and delivery.

While we’re always delighted to hear that our buyers and sellers want to form connections (IRL or otherwise), we don’t currently support local pickup/delivery. That’s not to say you can’t offer local pickup/delivery, it’s just that when you communicate with buyers off-site, without using Etsy tools (Messages, Etsy shipping labels, tracking), it might make it harder, or even impossible, for us to mediate any order issues or disputes.

In the meantime, please know that Etsy understands that Star Seller may not be viable for every shop. Star Seller is not a disciplinary program and sellers will not be penalized for low scores.

Thank you very much!

0 Likes

Jump to solution

This ought to be improved. I have one right now with a very good customer. A bit upsetting.

lampshadelady

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@lampshadelady   The only way Etsy can know that the item was shipped by you is by tracking.  

You have the option to do hand delivery.  Just realize it will impact your star seller for some time.  

I happen to agree with Etsy that tracking is important to know that an item is shipped.

While you say this is a repeat customer and therefore reliable that is not true with every transaction.  Sellers lose profit.  Lose seller protection and it happens often enough payment reserve. And there is always a change of the hand delivery going wrong, even deadly wrong from some reports. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I too have experienced this with a local sale. The purchaser is 5 minutes down the road, no need to ship. I am just starting my shop up again after a long hiatus so I wanted the sale to go through Etsy (the purchaser asked if I wanted to do a private sale).  If Etsy isn't milking every penny out the sale they slap your hand one way or another.  Proof in the pudding is the $300.00 minimum amt. My items can hit the minimum number of sales but won't hit the minimum $$ amount. Oh, and don't get me started on replying to the spam messages within 24 hrs.  Star Seller is unfair in so many ways. I should have made a  private sale.  Etsy has gotten very expensive.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@LostMountainPottery: Sorry about your issues, but just so you know you do not need to reply to actual SPAM messages, just mark them as SPAM within the 24 hour reply window. But be aware that subsequent messages from that account may go directly to your SPAM folder.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.