StarDaysStudio
Inspiration Seeker

Customer payments do not go through :(

Hey. 

I've had this problem since the beginning. Customer payments usually do not go through. They get a message that unfortunately the purchase could not be completed and mine shows "Cancelled" in the list. What do I have to do?

2 purchases have somehow gone through and now it shows under the store that there are 0 sales I only opened the store at the end of 2023 and it's such a mess. Does anyone else have similar problems and can you help what the problem might be?

My shop > https://stardaysstudio.etsy.com

Thanks,

Triin

Labels (3)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
20 Replies
DesertChains
Conversation Maker

Re: Customer payments do not go through :(

Make sure your payment account is set up properly.

1 Like
StarDaysStudio
Inspiration Seeker

It is:)

0 Likes
AmyEdwardsHome
Inspiration Seeker

I’ve had this issue today too. Customers trying to buy get the ‘whoops something went wrong’ message. My stores been up and running for 6 years so I know it’s not an issue with my settings. Is there a site wide issue do you know? 

0 Likes
StarDaysStudio
Inspiration Seeker

Hello,
Sad to hear!

Unfortunately, I don't know. I've had this problem with another shop as well.  But it seems to me that only Estonian customers. Or maybe there are more, I don't know. They just wrote to me. I'm from Estonia, so I usually send my customers to this store so that it is legit... but Etsy has so much trouble getting these cards through So I guess I should just open Shopify or something...

0 Likes

Your shop doesn't show any sales.

Make sure that any sales show up on your Dashboard and your financials. If they don't, they are probably scammers trying to get you to give them information to complete a sale. Unfortunately, there seem to be a lot of complaints about scammers targeting new shops.

Occasionally sellers will get an order but it doesn't go through the payment system ... could be a outdated credit card or one without funds. Then it disappears.

Establishing an Etsy shop can take time, weeks and months for most sellers.

3 Likes

I just put an item from your store in my cart. Everything appears to be working fine.

And I do see that you have a review. It's curious that you have a review w/o any Etsy sales showing on your shop page. Might be a minor blip but it might be worthwhile contacting Etsy support about that discrepany. 

Good luck

0 Likes
StarDaysStudio
Inspiration Seeker

Hey. Yes, I have had 2 sales. And until today they were also displayed. And suddenly they are gone, but the feedback is still there!!? Since I shared the etsy store and new cards to my friends on social media, some of them tried to buy but could not make a sale. When they entered all the data at the end of the sale and pressed accept, they received an email that unfortunately the sale could not be completed. I know I've had the same problem with my other shop, and I myself couldn't buy anything from any other Etsy shop a year ago either. The problem is with the Estonian cards, maybe I think we are on a black list somewhere. Can't think of anything anymore Just sad!

But thanks for thinking along,
Triin

0 Likes

@StarDaysStudio  - A slim chance but there may be a problem with the company that issued that credit card & if they are in any way linked to Russia??
When everything started a couple of years ago, the sanctions on Russia etc., I was surprised at the number of shop owners in the Baltic Countries that had accounts with banks with ties to Russia. They had to scramble to adjust. Possibly in the "general public" some may still have credit cards with these ties & are suddenly experiencing difficulties? 
I honestly don't know but it's food for thought. Should any buyers contact you, you will need to send them to Etsy to get everything straightened out. 

0 Likes

@StarDaysStudio  - I carted one of your downloads & could have checked out. (No, I didn't do every step but nothing looked amiss.)

At times Etsy's payment processor will approve a sale. But then rather quickly or even a day or so later the sale will be cancelled. Often this is due to 'suspected fraudulent use of the payment method'.
Someone could have had their credit card compromised & the thief comes here (or elsewhere) to "test" the stolen information, hoping that they will be able to complete a purchase. But if the real owner suddenly sees charges accumulating on the card, they call & report the fraud/theft, then Etsy's payment processor withdraws their approval of the sale. 
Etsy will show these as cancelled. Your digital downloads (& those in other shops) are not expensive and a good "test target" for thieves. 

0 Likes
StarDaysStudio
Inspiration Seeker

Thanks for trying out:) 

Yep. I myself also have doubts that it may be related to the war. But I myself have an Estonian bank card and I really wouldn't want to believe that Estonians are excluded because of that (But with other store it started after that these kind of issues). Hopefully not and hopefully I find a solution. Waiting the replay from Etsy.

Have a nice evening!

1 Like

@StarDaysStudio: "... and mine shows "Cancelled" in the list. What do I have to do?" There is really nothing for YOU to do. Payments are between the buyer and Etsy (their payment processor actually). A shop will never be aware of most declined orders. If it got through to the point that it was pending (and then cancelled) on your Orders page, the payment failed late in the process. Payments can fail for many reasons including not getting through a fraud detection algorithm or a late / missing authorization from the card issuer.

1 Like

I wonder if it has anything to do with the OP's location.  I do not know if the US has any sanctions  for Estonia but since it is eastern Europe? (if I remember right) they may have,  due to the action in Ukraine?  Only mentioning this as a possibility as Etsy is US based and must follow US law.

0 Likes
StarDaysStudio
Inspiration Seeker

Hey. I don't have any issues with US customers:) Thats ok. Only have issues with my own country people. Thats the weird thing. But I just got one sale, yay. And hopefully these other 2 sales are gonna display again under the profile. But thanks for thinking along:)

0 Likes

@StarDaysStudio 

That is weird. I bet then it is some kind of Etsy glitch !

0 Likes
StarDaysStudio
Inspiration Seeker

Jup, it might be true. But it a bit annoying. Bc. I promote mostly in Estonia.

0 Likes
StarDaysStudio
Inspiration Seeker

Hey. Could you help me with one thing? Do you see the listings descriptions? Or is it my browser... don's see the descriptions anymore  

0 Likes
StarDaysStudio
Inspiration Seeker

Jup, it might be true. But it a bit annoying. Bc. I promote mostly in Estonia.

0 Likes

I just looked up Estonia, part of the EU so unlikely it has anything to do with sanctions

Estonia - Global Sanctions Guide (eversheds-sutherland.com)

0 Likes

When I click on one of your listings I see a detailed description, the listing photos, all looks good.

0 Likes

Etsy has moved the descriptions ... I had to look hard for them, but they're there. I saw another post today about Etsy moving the descriptions.

Click on a listing, look below the listing photo. There is a list, e.g. Delivery with a pull down arrow, Details with a pull down arrow. When I click on the pull down arrows, I see lots of information about your listing.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.