Charge from Ireland

I had a customer contact me saying her bank called her about a money request coming from Ireland, and it was the purchase she made through my Etsy shop. I am located in the US, in Bossier City, LA. The customer even said her purchase on bank account is showing as GBP instead of USD. Has anyone else had this problem before? I checked my location and it’s correct. I do not know whether this is an issue only through my shop or site wide on Etsy. Etsy certainly doesn’t need anymore glitches…

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
9 Replies
MulherinLane
Conversation Maker

Re: Charge from Ireland

Etsy’s international HQ office is in Ireland…that’s the only thing I can think of. Weird.

1 Like

Ahhh, okay. I wasn’t aware of this. However, I still find it odd. I’ve never had a customermessage me about this before. It is a bit concerning for banks to be flagging purchases made through my shop. 

0 Likes
Spellbinderie
Conversation Maker

If the buyer is seeing GBP, then the buyer has her settings for England / GBP.  Everyone can change the currency at the bottom of the page (not in the forums, I mean on Etsy itself).

Sometimes there is a glitch and the settings change on their own without the buyer doing so.  When this happens, the buyer will checkout in the wrong currency which often ends up incurring bank fees. 

The buyer should reach out to Etsy to complain about the settings mysteriously changing and see if Etsy will cover any bank fees incurred.  Sometimes support will help.

3 Likes

Thank you for making me aware of this. I will let my customer know!

1 Like

Buyers see prices in their own currency. 

0 Likes
Spellbinderie
Conversation Maker

Buyers see prices in the currency pre-selected by Etsy which is based on buyer location or the see prices based on the currency they themselves selected at the bottom of the page.

I can change the currency to USD if I want to purchase in USD, for example, even though I'm in France.

And some see a different currency than their own due to a glitch or due to traveling.

0 Likes

The buyer is located in the US, but she did notice her currency was set to pounds when I asked her to check her settings. 

0 Likes

if you look at the order, and go to print the packing slip (not order receipt) it will show you the currency they had selected at the time they purchased

1 Like

Her packing slip is showing in pounds. I am just relieved it’s an error in the buyers settings. I was worried my account had been hacked and my orders were being flagged as fraud. 

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.