Cart allowing ONLY ONE ITEM at a time

ESTY SELLER NEEDS HELP!!  Last few buyers have only been allowed to add & check out one item at a time from my Etsy page.  WHAT'S UP WITH ETSY??  I didn't change any of my shipping preferences - this just happened on it's own and costing me business.  Just made my Star Seller Badge again and already having problems.  Also not getting email notice for all of customer's messages.  Anybody else having problems??

Thanks!

Labels (3)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
12 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Re: Cart allowing ONLY ONE ITEM at a time

I just added two of your listings to my cart with no problem.

0 Likes

Are they choosing the 'buy it now' button instead of 'add to cart'? 

I can put multiple items from your shop into my cart, so it's likely a user error. 

I've had to issue a couple refunds for shipping in the past month because customers are making multiple purchases of one item at a time instead of adding to their cart and buying together. When I issued the refunds they thanked me, said they couldn't figure out how to add more to the cart before checking out, which is why I assume they all accidentally hit the 'buy it now' button. 

Just one more reason that feature is not a good one. 

2 Likes

There have multiple posts recently of people not getting all the emails they should. It's highly recommended you go into your dashboard at least once a day and check for new orders or messages, don't rely on the email notifications. 

0 Likes

Well thank you.  The most recent problem happened a few hours ago according to the buyer.  Did you click to check out?  They were both using paypal so trying to figure out what is happening.

0 Likes

Could the buyer be pressing the "buy it now" button instead of the "add to cart" button?  If they want to buy multiple items from your shop, they need to use "add to cart".

0 Likes

OK! I didn't realize there was a buy it now option available - I didn't add that - is that a feature I can disable or is it required?

0 Likes

@BelaraBeachMiniature 

The Buy it now button has been there for a few years at least. It's not something you can disable.

edit to add the etsy announcement about the buy it now button. It was added in 2017

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Announcements/Introducing-Guest-Checkout-and-Buy-it-Now-for-Everyone/m...

0 Likes

I wish we could disable it!!!! 

No, it's a new-ish 'feature' that Etsy put out because they didn't through the consequences, there are many issues caused by this button. 

All they see are an increase of transactions, so they think it's great. 

They are ignoring that there may be more orders because instead of adding more items to the cart, people are checking out individually. 

They are not comparing how many 'buy it now' purchases are leading to returns and/or 1 star reviews because people are also not looking at photos or reading descriptions. It's so easy to just hit the 'buy it now' button right from the search results. 

Ugh, sorry for going off, it's just that it's a horrible, horrible 'feature'. Probably one of their worst (right behind their new protection program) ideas yet. 

0 Likes

Sorry - I thought it was newer. It seems to be causing more problems lately, no? Did they change something about the feature more recently? How it was displayed or something?

0 Likes

@audreytherese  There's a thread from today about some people seeing the "Buy it now" button in search pages!

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Managing-Your-Shop/So-I-think-I-just-had-my-first-encounter-with-the-B...

0 Likes

Ok, so seems like even though it's not a new feature, they have made changes recently to make it more obvious (like putting right in the search results), so that people are seeing it easier and using more often (which I still believe is not a good thing). 

0 Likes

Last few days are the first time it's happened to my site in the 16 months I've been using Etsy.  Knew I hadn't changed anything so thought it must be a glitch.  I did however notice the buy it now this week when I purchased an item and going through Paypal which I hadn't seen before.  Looks like I better mention not to use this feature in my listings.  

Thanks for your help!!

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.