SiioEstudio
Inspiration Seeker

Cancelled orders already shipped

Jump to solution

Hello!
A customer has made several orders on different days, and I have been producing and sending them on time.
The thing is that on 26th May he cancelled them all and Etsy has refunded him.
All the orders are already on their way to the address indicated by the customer and I don't know where I stand as a seller.
In the return and exchange policy I specify that I do accept duly notified changes, but I do NOT accept returns or cancellations of orders.
Now it is not clear to me if the customer will keep all the orders for free or if Etsy assumes the return of the orders.
Please, has anyone been in a similar situation?

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

Re: Cancelled orders already shipped

Jump to solution

@CSCarpentry 

(This is strictly up to you).  If you want, you could send your Customer this link (from Help, "For Buying").  It explains about Payment Processing.  Also below the article are "Related Articles". It states browsers must be updated (Etsy has ended support for browsers which aren't updated.  I don't know if all buyers know that).

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015569847-Credit-Card-Security-Information?segment=shoppi...

Honestly, as a Buyer I'd be ticked if I couldn't purchase with ease.  But it may be something simple as updating the browser or credit card info.
But the main thing you want to assure her (since she asked), is that we never know the reason why an Order didn't go through).

*(And DON'T tell her this; for the life of me, I don't know why it DOES go through, then a couple hours later is cancelled and refunded.  Why was it not caught between the THREE bloody processors).

View solution in original post

1 Like
18 Replies

Jump to solution

The customer can’t cancel an order, only Etsy and the seller can do that. If the orders were processed and found to be good then Etsy or the processor should cover the refunds because of their seller protection policy. The mistake is on their part not yours. Check your financial page and see if they charged you for the refund. If they did then contact Etsy and explain their mistake. 

1 Like
SiioEstudio
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Yesterday I received the cancellation emails from Etsy. So far they haven't deducted from my account balance. But I don't know if it's because it's too recent.
Anyway, the customer will eventually receive the goods.

0 Likes
hbhill
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@SiioEstudio Since Etsy hasn't deducted the order amounts from your account it sounds as if the customer may have sent you a message with a cancellation request. The customer isn't able to cancel their order. If Etsy cancelled the order you would see the cancellation amount deducted from your account. You would need to actually cancel the order. I would contact the customer and have them reject the packages and have them returned to you. I would also inform the customer you will refund once the items have been returned in same condition. You should not cancel/refund the orders until after you have received the items. It is up to you whether you refund postage or not.  

1 Like

Jump to solution

when you send the items, did you mark them as shipped?

If they were cancelled, and refunded, AFTER you marked them as shipped, you need to contact etsy

community and help - contact us - keep going until you get to - I still need help - and log a ticket,

They will probably autoreply with useless information, reply saying you still need help, as the items were refunded by Eysy AFTER they were marked as shipped.

In the return and exchange policy I specify that I do accept duly notified changes, but I do NOT accept returns or cancellations of orders.

.... as you are in Spain, you have to accept returns for a full refund, it is the law in your country for distance selling. Asyou do not have the legally required 14 days for people to return for a full refund, you don't have seller protection, so you may not get the funds back 

this is info from etsy on what you require
https://www.etsy.com/legal/policy/selling-to-eu-buyers/239965962014

extract
Under the EU’s distance selling laws, buyers have the right to return certain products for any reason by contacting the seller within 14 days. This 14-day period will start the moment a customer receives a product, rather than at the time he or she purchases it

and this is etsy info on seller protection
https://www.etsy.com/uk/legal/policy/seller-protection-policy/34509585385

extract

1. Seller Eligibility Requirements

Eligible sellers are automatically enrolled in Seller Protection — there is no application process. Here's what you need to do to make sure your shop is covered:
C. Fill out all of your Shop Policies (it's especially important to have policies for returns, exchanges, and custom orders). Your Shop Policies have to comply with Etsy's policies, as well as your local laws.

3 Likes
SiioEstudio
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Yes, I marked the orders as shipped on the same day of shipment. The last shipment was on 24 May and the cancellation was on 26 May.
I have already contacted Etsy, but the reply is not very clear... it seems like an automatic reply.
Anyway, thanks for the links you send me. They are helpful.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@SiioEstudio 

You have to reply to the e-mail, saying you still have a problem, 

if they come back with another standard reply, you have to reply to that too.

2 Likes
SiioEstudio
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

So I will

0 Likes

Jump to solution

This has been happening occasionally to sellers. It is a bit of a glitch. It happened to me as well. Thankfully my buyer contacted me to pay again kindly. You have to contact etsy. They are not suppposed to Cancel and refund orders that have been marked shipped but they have been. 

3 Likes
SiioEstudio
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thank you Sarah.
Your words help me.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

You've already received an email non-answer from etsy.  You need to reply to that email, not start a new email and state that they did not answer your question or resolve your issue.  The issue is you sent the goods, processed the fulfillments and then etsy cancelled the orders.  Etsy is responsible for reimbursing you if the money came out of your account and they periodically need to be reminded of that.  Stick to your guns and insist that you filled your part of the order and etsy needs to fulfill their part by sending payment to you.  Good luck on this issue.

2 Likes
SiioEstudio
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thank you

0 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

I'm very sorry this has happened to you.  And great advice from everyone.

Etsy has 3 Payment Processors now (*someone correct me if wrong).  Either an Order processes (in which case the Seller ships, as you have done).  Or Payment is "In Processing" (we don't know why; could be anything.  But we know not to ship).

You received the green light from Etsy that it was OK to ship, and you did.  NOW Etsy Cancels and Refunds the Order (due to whatever glitch on their part made caused Payment Processing to let you know it was OK to ship, then did a turnabout...AFTER the purchase goes out the door).

It's their error; they need to make it right as Seller howtobooksandmore stated.  I'm seeing way too many of these kinds of Threads lately and find it concerning.  I used to take my Orders down to the 24 Hr. Post Off Kiosk the same evening of the sale (it's one minute down the road).  As of last year I no longer do; I take it down the following night, because of things like this.  I make some exceptions, but not many.

My processing time used to be 1 day (I changed it to 1-2 days).  Etsy sends  "auto reminders" about changing it so it's "more accurate". But I'm not moving it back to 1 day processing time because of seeing things like this.  "Buyers tell us they like fast shipping".  Well, Etsy Sellers don't like being told Orders have cleared only to find out after the fact that they haven't; and often times after it's shipped, as you and others experienced. There is NO  ACCEPTABLE reason we should see so many Sellers post about getting the OK from Payment Processing, and later it's Cancelled/Refunded by Etsy.

They need to right their wrong for you and others it's happened to.  And for the love of mike, fix the many glitches around here.

4 Likes

Jump to solution

I'll chime in since it happened to me today.

I received an order this morning.

I immediately boxed up the product and purchased the label.

A couple hours later I received an email from Etsy stating that it had been cancelled and refunded.

I checked my Seller Dashboard, and it showed that it has been refunded and cancelled.

The email that I received did not make much sense.  The email stated that the purchase "may not have been authorized by [the buyer]".

The customer has since reached out to me wondering why I cancelled his order.

3 Likes
SiioEstudio
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Was the same for me. 
The email stated that the purchase "may not have been authorized by [the buyer]".

But in my case, the goods are already on their way to the buyer. So you won't need to buy it again because it's already on its way to you for free.

I´m so frustrated

0 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@CSCarpentry 

Man, I'm sorry.

Tell your Customer you are sorry for their inconvenience.  And that you did not Cancel the Order; Etsy did.  And we as Sellers have no idea why.

(It could be a case of a stolen card, or any issue with the card, but we certainly don't know that).

(I'll be back; going to look for something)

1 Like
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@CSCarpentry 

(This is strictly up to you).  If you want, you could send your Customer this link (from Help, "For Buying").  It explains about Payment Processing.  Also below the article are "Related Articles". It states browsers must be updated (Etsy has ended support for browsers which aren't updated.  I don't know if all buyers know that).

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015569847-Credit-Card-Security-Information?segment=shoppi...

Honestly, as a Buyer I'd be ticked if I couldn't purchase with ease.  But it may be something simple as updating the browser or credit card info.
But the main thing you want to assure her (since she asked), is that we never know the reason why an Order didn't go through).

*(And DON'T tell her this; for the life of me, I don't know why it DOES go through, then a couple hours later is cancelled and refunded.  Why was it not caught between the THREE bloody processors).

1 Like

Jump to solution

Many of these situations are credit cards that proved to be stolen, or the processor cancelled the order because they were in some way suspicious.  The card processors should not okay the orders until they have fully verified their legitimacy, but they do.  Others may be glitches of some sort that should not be happening as often as they are.

They will often come back as much as 48 hours after the order and cancel it.  Because of that, sellers should NOT ship same or next day.  Wait a full 48 hours before you ship.

1 Like
SiioEstudio
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I received another order today, but I'm going to wait a few days before sending it.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.