Can't answer potential Buyer Questions - Messaging Disabled, Etsy shows Account is Fine

Jump to solution

I've received a couple messages I can't respond to.  These are legit messages from potential buyers.  When I try to answer them I get this message:

"Bummer, your messages have been temporarily disabled. Please contact support to have them reactivated. Also, see the FAQ and Community Guidelines for more info about Messages."

I checked both FAQ and Guidelines and can't see that I've done anything weird.  I also checked to make sure my Seller Account wasn't disabled - it isn't.  When I created an issue online it gets auto-closed with an automatic email response on how to deal with email scams.

This isn't email scams.  I've even sent my own shop a message from a separate buyer's account.  My shop can't answer any questions.  

Help?

Labels (3)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can't answer potential Buyer Questions - Messaging Disabled, Etsy shows Account is Fine

Jump to solution

@BrightBladeLaserLLC: If you are getting the "Bummer, your messages have been temporarily disabled" advisory, and not to discount the fact that your messaging may have been disabled in error, generally it is because the system has detected that your account has been sending unsolicited non-transactional messages.

However there have also been reports of this action apparently being taken against shops with intellectual property violations. You need to include your licensing information for all of the trademarked and copyrighted names and images in your shop (i.e. Star Wars and possibly some or all of the license plates since the artwork may belong to an artist who has licensed it to the state) in your listing, otherwise buyers (and Etsy) may conclude they are counterfeits. Including the licensing information will show that you are not selling those items illegally and in violation of Etsy rules.

Every eMail from Etsy should have a link something like "I Still Need Help". Click on that link (or actually reply stating that you still need help) to keep the report alive or Etsy will assume that it is resolved. You may have to do this innumerable times before anything is done but do not give up.

View solution in original post

4 Likes
12 Replies
DesertChains
Conversation Maker

Re: Can't answer potential Buyer Questions - Messaging Disabled, Etsy shows Account is Fine

Jump to solution

Did you send any messages to Etsy users who did not contact you first? That's probably the most common reason why messaging is disabled.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

No...  I did turn on the option to offer a discount on abandoned carts but that's through Etsy.

0 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

Jump to solution

it has to do with what you are selling.

the fact you have to write this:

This isn't for illegal or otherwise naughty purposes you saucy little rascals!

is the first clue it should not be sold here.

etsy has been disabling messages of sellers...

who are violating policies and laws.

1 Like

Jump to solution

No, that's just funny text.  Jokes.  There's nothing illegal about my items.  

I'm happy to remove that text, but I seriously doubt that would fix the issue.

1 Like
nineteen27
Community Maker

Jump to solution

example:

you have dmv.ca.gov on the california license plate file.

do you have permission to do that.

1 Like

Jump to solution

@BrightBladeLaserLLC: If you are getting the "Bummer, your messages have been temporarily disabled" advisory, and not to discount the fact that your messaging may have been disabled in error, generally it is because the system has detected that your account has been sending unsolicited non-transactional messages.

However there have also been reports of this action apparently being taken against shops with intellectual property violations. You need to include your licensing information for all of the trademarked and copyrighted names and images in your shop (i.e. Star Wars and possibly some or all of the license plates since the artwork may belong to an artist who has licensed it to the state) in your listing, otherwise buyers (and Etsy) may conclude they are counterfeits. Including the licensing information will show that you are not selling those items illegally and in violation of Etsy rules.

Every eMail from Etsy should have a link something like "I Still Need Help". Click on that link (or actually reply stating that you still need help) to keep the report alive or Etsy will assume that it is resolved. You may have to do this innumerable times before anything is done but do not give up.

4 Likes

Jump to solution

I'll have to keep the support ticket alive then.  

I haven't sent any unsolicited messages.  I don't even know how.

As for copyright stuff, everything I've used to create my files came from the public space.  For example, there is a source image from a license plate used as a reference, however I create the digital files, by hand, myself.

Maybe I can put that in the listings or something.

It's just frustrating as I wish Etsy would tell me what is going on instead of just quietly disabling things.  I wish they'd just tell me what needs to be fixed.

Thanks @BagmakerSupply, I'll close this out as answered and wait on Etsy some more.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@BrightBladeLaserLLC: "For example, there is a source image from a license plate used as a reference, however I create the digital files, by hand, myself." You might want to get advice from a qualified intellectual property (IP) attorney. If you followed your process with an image of Mickey Mouse, do you think that Disney's attorneys would agree with you that you are not using Disney's IP without permission?

"It's just frustrating as I wish Etsy would tell me what is going on instead of just quietly disabling things. I wish they'd just tell me what needs to be fixed." Agreed, but Etsy seems to take the position that they are not going to provide business advice and they expect sellers to know and follow the rules.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

In further researching Intellectual Property type stuff, I'm in the clear.  There's a difference between trademarked items like company logos and characters (Lego and Disney) and stuff that lives in the public domain like street signs and license plates.  Plus, when adding digital rights into the mix, it's understandable how folks might feel a certain way about it.

That said, I'm not asking Etsy for business advice.  I'm asking them why they disabled my ability to reply to customers.  My account isn't disabled.  I'm still making sales.  Which means I'm still paying Etsy fees.

So, to reiterate, Etsy is still getting their fees, however I'm getting less of a service in exchange for those fees without an explanation.  We all pay to use this service.  It's not free.

Imagine paying for a car wash but they suddenly decided not to use soap.  Sure, they rinsed off the car with water, and the car is cleaner, but that's not what you paid for.  Then, when you ask why, you have to resort to talking to other people getting their car washed (these forums) and not the folks in charge of the car wash.  Some of those customers respond with answers like "your car was too dirty" or "maybe you should research what a car wash really is".

I'm working under the assumption that everyone means well, but, well...  It. Is. Frustrating.

0 Likes
HandleStay
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Not in my case. Etsy has disabled my messages, more than a week ago. I can't respond to prospective customers' questions.

My error? - don't know as noone has ever said, despite 10+ 'support' calls and numerous cases being raised. Oh, and the chat function is of course broken too.

I suspect that three messages I sent to different etsy suppliers asking them to quote me (on Etsy) for a custom item was what the system saw as against policies. Is it?

And either way, why can noone tell me how long it will take to fix and why I have been subject to this ban anyway? SHOCKING!

And yes, this has made me angry and I may well leave Etsy for good. Why do I pay so much in fees for such poor service? I must be crazy!!! 

0 Likes
HandleStay
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

And of course, now having had a shop going for 9 months with a 100% reply rate to messages, (as why wouldn't you reply? !), my rate has now dropped as I can't reply. I am missing sales as potential customers are asking questions that have to be ignored. ANGRY!!! 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

For what it's worth, it's been two weeks with no answer from Etsy.  Support ticket is still open.

Oh well.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.