luola
Crafty Poster

Can anyone help me understand Etsy shipping estimates?

I have been selling on Etsy for almost 13 years and in the last month or so I've noticed that even if I ship an item an hour after it's purchased (printing my shipping label through Etsy), Etsy sometimes indicates that the item may be "late" if I choose to ship it Ground rather than Priority, and this is with the buyer paying for Ground. Why on earth is this happening? My "processing times" are 1-3 days if that makes a difference.

Thanks!!

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
3 Likes
16 Replies

Re: Can anyone help me understand Etsy shipping estimates?

Information from USPS may indicate that there is an issue with the destination.  It could be weather or something else.  I've gotten that and surprisingly most of the packages arrive on time. 

I always ship prior to my last day of shipping to give a bit more time to travel.

0 Likes
luola
Crafty Poster

I don't think this is what's happening at all, but thanks for weighing in.

2 Likes
luola
Crafty Poster

The "delay" is only indicated when I choose Ground, which is what's been paid for, not for Priority mail.

It really makes no sense.

2 Likes

@luola  - You might want to think of that little pop-up as the annoying cousin to the one that comes up when you enter a shipping cost & Etsy says it's too much. Even when you're using calculated shipping! lol

2 Likes
luola
Crafty Poster

It might be simply annoying if it didn't effect customer expectations...and it does, as Etsy's language is: "may arrive late, as the customer expects...(insert arrival window)".

Once again, it's baffling. I can't imagine what the explanation is.

2 Likes

I added your Chunky Vintage Ice Glass Candle Holder to my cart.

On the listing & the check-out page I am shown a cost of $13.47 for shipping.

What is now really Ground Advantage (but Etsy still shows as Parcel Select) the Estimated Delivery Dates are December 27-29th.
If I opt to pay for the Priority upgrade I am shown an EDD of December 19 thru the 30th.

Yes, I'm shown an earlier "first possible date" to receive. But, the final date in the EDD was extended by one day. 

So if it didn't arrive until the 30th it would not be considered late with Priority but would be if you shipped Ground Advantage. 

2 Likes
luola
Crafty Poster

Haven't seen that one! Mysterious.

0 Likes

Mine does the same thing. Etsy has not even updated the shipping profiles to include ground advantage with USPS. Mine still show first class mail and parcel select, which do not even exist anymore. I get the " may arrive late" almost every time I print a label and I ship before the ship by date.

2 Likes
luola
Crafty Poster

Good to know. I figured it wasn't just me. Now as to what is going on and is it going to be fixed, that's another question.

0 Likes

Etsy does make more $ from a Priority label than it does from a GA label. 

0 Likes
luola
Crafty Poster

That's true. It's also true that our success is their success...

0 Likes

They shouldn't set up unrealistic customer expectations if they want us to be successful. GA is slow. The estimated delivery time should reflect that so the customer isn't disappointed. I'm not saying our success isn't important to Etsy's success. I'm saying this particular "feature" isn't at all helpful and perhaps should be rethought.

2 Likes

It’s happening to ma as well. Seems to me Etsy is trying to force us to ship priority at our cost. Sometimes I will if less than a dollar  but not more. It’s very irritating they haven’t updated the system 

5 Likes

Crafty Poster - I absolutely agree.  My processing time is also 1 to 3 days, but it's usually 1 day or the same day.  The post office website indicates that Ground Advantage shipping time is about 3 to 5 days (well, we know that always doesn't happen).  I have an order today that just came in and will mail it this morning.   Today is January 4th and according to the post office this package should arrive between January 8 and 10.  The estimated delivery date on Etsy is Jan 5 - 16, but it "May arrive late as buyer expects Jan 10 - 12).   

1 Like
luola
Crafty Poster

I have this issue as well, and frankly it's infuriating....how is it possible for me to receive an order, pack and ship it hours later, only to be told it "may arrive late"! When my processing time is also 1-3 days...seriously frustrating.

0 Likes

Etsy is getting very controlling.  I am also getting messages about shipping on time.  I sometimes ship on Saturday if I can.  Saturday was never included in my 1-2 day shipping window.  But that is no longer.  Saturday is now counted as a firm shipping day for me.  It’s irritating!

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.