Buyers Cannot Checkout! Please HELP

It's been 3 weeks of customers contacting me saying they cannot check out. I have called seller support 4 times they say to have the buyers use a PC. Some are still having issues. What is the problem with ETSY is it listing variations causing issues?  I need answers I am losing business here. Customer support is saying the engineering team is working on it. Please help!

Labels (3)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
4 Likes
17 Replies

Re: Buyers Cannot Checkout! Please HELP

@BubbleGumDivas   That's really alarming!  I was able to add an item to cart, and see my payment options.   At what point are your Buyers saying they cannot complete their purchase?

**  Oh, I remember you!  I had to check and watch your excellent shop video again!  So glad you are doing well!!  Hope this gets fixed soon!!

2 Likes

The app for sure. 5 buyers contacted me on black Friday weekend. Most were able to use a PC. Now this week the PC is not working. 2 customers have been messaging me since yesterday. They are even getting errors trying to contact Customer Support 

2 Likes

I had no problem entering items.

It could be the buyer trying to buy from too many shops at once.  I think PayPal still limits the number of checkouts.  

I admit the variations were confusing to me but I don't know if that is the problem.  I was able to enter items in at all sorts of levels and the options of paying were never grayed out.

What device exactly?  When they say PC, is it a pc or tablet type?  Some people don't know the difference.  Are they using a web browser?  Firefox, Chrome, Edge?  Another browser like Opera which Etsy does not support well?  Firefox is notorious for not working well with Etsy.  There might be extensions interfering with purchases.  

I think the working on it is an excuse to cover when they have little idea of any issue.  If most buyers are not experiencing difficulties then a few having issues is not really a top priority for Etsy.

The two buyers that are having trouble, are they using PC or tablet.  Tablet is uusally android driven and uses the mobile version.  If they are using the app, they might need to upgrade their app.

They may need to clean out cache and cookies.  Run utilities.  It is possible they have too many things running in the background of their Windows which is causing issues.  If they are using Windows 8 or older or even a non-updated Windows 10 that can cause conflicts. 

These are things outside of your control.  Even Etsy cannot control the pc's of others.  

If you feel comfortable asking them, ask if they can select to purchase one of your items only and nothing else in their cart to see if multi purchasing is the issue.

Hopefully it can get sorted out somehow, 

0 Likes

I'm having the same issues with some buyers. It looks like an app issue and I let them know to use their mobile browser instead if on a mobile device or use a laptop/desktop. However, there's probably many others that have just abandoned the sale because of it

3 Likes

I have no problem believing this is happening.  Etsy has become a constant stream of glitch after glitch.  Unfortunately, there is usually not a lot you can do about it but wait it out...and a potential customer is not likely to do that.

About all you can do is suggest to customers they keep trying other devices or other browsers in the hopes that one of them will finally avoid the glitch.  This site is coming apart at the seams.  Their fast growth the last couple of years has outstripped their hardware and software capabilities, and they are in need of massive upgrades, according to various sites watching the company.

3 Likes

Sure, but I have a problem believing Etsy's okay with customers not being able to complete purchases for three weeks already. A glitch here or there is typical, but for it to go on this long? I mean, orders going through is of utmost importance to all parties here.

1 Like

orders going through is of utmost importance to all parties here.

Not necessarily.  Remember this is a corporation and they only think short term.  It may be worth it to them to sacrifice some sales to avoid having to report huge expenditures to shareholders  to upgrade the site.  Stupid way to think, but hey, look who we are talking about...

1 Like
2numerous
Conversation Maker

I'm usually a brand loyal type of customer, I went to buy shipping labels from the company that makes my printer. What a PIA it was to simply purchase labels, several attempts to bypass a glitch with a password, before I ditched any brand loyalty to the company. Online shopping is supposed to be convenient. When a business like Etsy chooses the manipulation of their customers, over creating a pleasurable convenient shopping experience, it creates the issue where buyers never return. Forget the labels, when I eventually need to replace the printer, it will not be through that company.

1 Like
Chrysalism
Conversation Maker

I've had 3 customers mention this in the past few weeks, and I'm sure others have experienced it but not contacted me. It seems to be a specific problem with variations on the app. Very concerning that Etsy has not acknowledged the bug or offered a fix and is instead recommending customers just use a different device. The average customer is just going to give up and shop elsewhere. How many sales are we losing from this?

1 Like

i had  same  issue  for weeks ..  

1 Like

I just had a customer contact me and tell me they couldn't check out because despite selecting the size they wanted, Etsy was asking them to add "size options". She is really frustrated and I have no idea why in the world Etsy would ask such a thing when she already selected her size in the drop down size menu.  It makes me wonder if this is the reason why the first time in 14 years my Christmas sales have been so, so bad!!

1 Like

I've had about 20 customers over the last 3 weeks say they can't select variations/add to cart and some other checkout related problems. I contacted Etsy and support says everything is fine lol.

Never had customers report this issue in 10+ years selling here

2 Likes

I've also had a few customers reach out to me in the past couple of months saying they either 1) can't checkout or 2) can't add items to their basket. I haven't been able to identify the root cause of the issue though (I don't want to pester customers asking about what device, browser etc etc they're using when they're already having trouble checking out).

The most recent case was resolved by making a custom listing for them to purchase (with no variations though), which they were able to add to their basket and checkout just fine. So in the meantime, if the customer manages to reach out to you about it, try creating a custom listing for them to purchase (with no variations) and just ask what variations they want. It's a pain for everyone involved, but at least they're still able to get the item they want!

I'm assuming we've also lost a few sales due to this issue - most people won't reach out about it, they'll just go look for something else or shop elsewhere.

If customer support says the engineering team is working on it, that's something as they've at least acknowledged that there's an issue.

1 Like

Yes, this issue has really gotten on my nerves. Majority of my items have variations, and I get mostly app shoppers. It's been going on a loooong time now. They know it's broken. They're simply just not fixing it.

2 Likes

I had to make both customers custom listings with no variations, I totaled everything up on my end so they could go straight to check out and had them send me there order details via messages,  Thank God I didn’t lose both of them that was over $400 in sales, Both customer stuck with me for over 24 hours working on the issue and all of us trying to contact Etsy. I’m very grateful for loyal customers. 

4 Likes
gwaboprops
Inspiration Seeker

It's been 1 weeks of customers contacting me saying they cannot check out. Because on listing the check out icon is not showing . What can i do 

1 Like

The same thing is happening to me. I  received 2 messages yesterday - both saying they chose their colour and size choices but then when they went to their cart their choices weren’t there and they were unable to complete the order. Turns out both were shopping on the mobile app. I didn’t know what to say - other orders came through yesterday without any problems - so I suggested they try on the computer using a browser instead. And sure enough, they were able to complete their orders. I’m wondering how many other buyers tried, failed and gave up…

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.