GoblinVillage
Inspiration Seeker

Buyer opened two chats about the same product, lost my star seller badge

A customer of mine opened two chats about concerns with the same item. This person had for some reason ordered two separate orders, at the same time, of the same item to his house, with separate shipping and everything. I responded to one chat within a few hours, and we resolved the issues he was having. I did not think to respond to the second chat which was the same concern, until 24 hours had passed and the Etsy tracker automatically detected that the chat went unresponded to. Because Etsy can't tell the issues were resolved in the first chat, I lost my 100% message response rate and subsequently my star seller badge for March. I brought up the issue with Etsy support, who claim they cannot fix the data to accurately reflect my response rate. Extremely frustrating, especially since this customer was an extremely difficult person to work with. I'm guessing I'm not the only person this has happened to, and I hope Etsy can take steps to fix it in the future. 

But lesson learned, always respond to every single chat even if redundant.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
6 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Re: Buyer opened two chats about the same product, lost my star seller badge

You must respond to all new message threads or mark as spam.

0 Likes

It also happens to me that a customer opens multiple chats about the same thing, but I reply with the same message to all of them. This is according to the calculation mechanism Star Seller.

1 Like

You have to respond to each new message thread

Etsy highlights them in blue so you can't miss them,

They are not going to read millions and millions of messages to see if they are about the same thing

so, reply to each new message thread, as etsy says

1 Like

@GoblinVillage"... and I hope Etsy can take steps to fix it in the future." Browse this forum to see what a fine job they are doing to determine if a message is SPAM or not, and do you really want them determining if the message is from your buyer or from your seller (and remember an account could be both to you)?

0 Likes
Natalya1905
Conversation Maker

This is from Etsy:

Your message response rate stat is based on:

• The percent of initial messages that you replied to in 24 hours or less, including by auto-reply

Ether reply to EACH first incoming message or send to Spam. 

0 Likes
cutebutton
Conversation Maker

They must have sent a regular message and then sent a help request.  Those do not combine so you would have to respond to both of those which I understand does cause some confusion.

As far as regular messages they should all continue in the same thread and once you respond you don't have to continue to respond for infinity.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.