sparklenpatina
Inspiration Seeker

Bulk editing descriptions

Hi all, is anyone else having a problem bulk editing descriptions? They are not changing for me. Tried different browsers; different quantities of listings, etc. Manually updating 145 listings is taking f o r e v e r ! Anyone know a work-around? (I'm trying to remove one sentence from my descriptions) 

Thank you!

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
11 Replies
sleevy
Inspiration Seeker

Re: Bulk editing descriptions

Hi, you can try ShopShaper for free for a week to delete text from your listings. Here is a how-to video that shows several editing options: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgw012ztwlc You can download it for free on https://www.shopshaper.net/

0 Likes
DragonflyDreams1
Conversation Maker

How much are you trying to change? I have found it impossible to edit too much text at once. If I have several sentences to change I have to delete half. Then delete the other half and replace it with the new text. You need to do each step a couple of times before proceeding with the next because the bulk editor ALWAYS misses some listings.

So I will run the delete 2-3 times then the delete and replace 2-3 times.

1 Like
sparklenpatina
Inspiration Seeker

Oh! Good idea, dragonflydreams! I never even thought to try and break it up into steps. Thank you!

0 Likes

@sparklenpatina 

I can't remember which but you either need to copy the bit you want to remove from the public view of the listing or from shop manager listings view. One of them has hidden bits of code that the bulk editor needs to make the edit.  Sorry I can't remember which but try both and see which one works. Hopefully someone else can remind me which it is. Sorry for the incomplete help but one of them will work. 

1 Like
PlayaTortuga
Inspiration Seeker

Thank you!!!  You're suggestion saved me hours of work.  I had to click "See on Etsy" and then click "Edit" to copy the part of the description I wanted replaced.  

0 Likes

Should you like to remove the same sentence in each of your listing descriptions, you could go over to the "Listings" section of the shop manager, select all of the listings that you wish to edit, choose "Edit titles" under "Editing options", and then select the "Find and Replace" tool. Write the sentence that you wish to delete from all the selected descriptions in the "Find" box, and then put a space in the "Replace with" box. Done!

1 Like
sparklenpatina
Inspiration Seeker

that's what I thought too but it didn't work. I even tried to replace with a character or a word - still no go. I did later chat with Etsy support who acknowledged this is a known bug they're working on. Thank you!

0 Likes

I use the bulk editing tool to edit titles and descriptions regularly.

Sometimes the descriptions don't seem to 'take'.

Here are some of my tips:

First - make sure you are using the same instance of Etsy for your editing - it's possible to have it open in multiple windows - I do intentionally to grab text from a listing that I want changed. But if you're not careful you can end up changing in one instance and saving the original in another instance.

I often open a listing to get the text I want to change or delete. I cut and paste from there into the bulk editing window and do the bulk edit - and wonder why the listing I used as a reference hasn't changed. Well ... listings that are open at the time of editing are ignored.

I sometimes forget to scroll all the way to the bottom of the bulk editing screen to click on Replace All.

And I suspect that depending on the internet connection - or traffic or maybe the position of the stars - the edit may be a wee bit slow. Give it a few seconds before going on to the next thing.

And sometimes I forget to check the box that makes bulk editing apply to ALL listings vs the listings on the page. Or I forget to check the specific listings I want to edit. 

I love the bulk editing tool - well sort of - but there are lots of little gotchas that can make if seem like it's not working. 

1 Like
sparklenpatina
Inspiration Seeker

Exactly! I loved it when I used to to ADD the sentence to my listings. Even thought - "wow, this is cool!"
I'll definitely try to use it again in the future. But maybe not on ALL my listings. Thank you!

0 Likes

Yep, try having over 6000 listings to do!  Does Etsy even check these forums to see what doesn't work?

0 Likes
TBQSC
Community Maker

Most listing pages within Etsy shop manager are limited to 40 listings per page ... if you are editing more than that at one time, then there will inevitably be problems.  So either try editing no more than 40 listings at a time, or try an Etsy integrated app such as VELA ... the monthly fee is well worth the price for everything the VELA program entails. getvela (dot) com

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.