Bug in the "Share & Save" campaign?

I enrolled on the Share and Save program yesterday, which I think is a great feature if I am honest, provided it works as described.

I was contacted by a customer who wanted a custom order for something not available in my listing.

I thought, "great, a chance to use the share & save" feature, so I created the link and shared it with the customer via the "Share & Save" tab for that specific listing from the listings manager page on my shop.

After the customer purchased the item, I checked my finances tab to be sure that the 4% refund had been issued, but it had not. In fact, I had been charged an off-site advertising fee instead.

I contact Etsy support and who were unable to answer my questions, so hopefully someone can clarify this for me.

The 2 points mentioned below are the reasons that I was not eligible for the "share & save" refund, according to Etsy support, which is why I am mentioning only these 2 points.

1) "Buyers must place their order within 30 days of clicking your link". 

The link was created, sent to the customer via the share and save tab in the listing manager page. The customer then placed the order within 2 hours of the link being shared, so the 30 day requirement was met. The URL on the order even shows the new share and save campaign information. Aside from the obvious fact that the feature has only been available for less than a week so clearly impossible to not meet the 30 day requirement.

2) Share & Save eligibility per order is determined off of a buyer’s last click prior to purchasing. 

The last link the customer could have clicked on was the "share & save" link, so I am unclear as to how the offsite advertising fee could have been applied? Here is the Etsy information on the subject:

"How does Share & Save work with Offsite Ads?"
"We track orders based on the last link the shopper clicked on before making their purchase. If your unique link is the last link the shopper clicked on, you’ll save on fees for that sale.  If the buyer clicks on an Offsite Ad as the last step before making a purchase that order won’t be eligible for Share & Save and the Offsite Ads fee will apply."

Should this read, "the second to last link the shopper clicked on before making their purchase"?

Am I missing something, or is there a bug in the new feature?
Etsy support was very unhelpful regarding the issue and stated that "the issue is out of my hands" which was an interesting reply.

They even stated that they would manually provide the 4% discount after I provided the evidence to support the 2 points made above, but that never happened.

Some clarification would be appreciated!

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
6 Likes
12 Replies

Re: Bug in the "Share & Save" campaign?

Off site ad fees cancel out the share and save, so if your customer clicked on the offsite ad in the past 30 days the share and save link becomes useless

• Share & Save eligibility per order is determined off of a buyer’s last click prior to purchasing. If a buyer’s last click before visiting your shop was on an Offsite Ad, that order won’t be eligible for Share & Save and the Offsite Ads fee will apply.
1 Like
Amaradorn
Community Maker

How did that customer find you in the first place? If it was via an Off-site ad then that's why.

How did you share the link? Did you have the customer's email address already? If you shared it via Etsy messages then it's not valid.

6 Likes
SunnytyDE
Community Maker

That’s probably why. It does not count on Etsy messages. Or anywhere on listings within Etsy. 

1 Like
leinweberstudio
Conversation Maker

And so it begins...

17 Likes
thewoollydog
Conversation Maker

Exactly as we've been warning about, people need to take their rose tinted glasses off, the whole thing is rigged to probably only allow 1% go through.

8 Likes

@BlackwaterLaserCraft I am curious - were you opted into the off site ad program?  You didn't say.  Thanks!

0 Likes

Unable to opt out

0 Likes
Arcalliq
Community Maker

I don't think that is a bug. I think the customer simply came to you through off side ad in the first place.

there is also one thing people opting in are not paying a lot of attention to:

• If within the thirty (30) day attribution window, after clicking the URL, the buyer also visits your shop via an Etsy Offsite Ad, the transaction is not a Qualifying Transaction and you may be charged the Offsite Ads fee for that transaction.
1 Like

@BlackwaterLaserCraft: I think that the off site ad explanation is misleading because if you sent the link in an Etsy message it does not count anyway. The terms and conditions state clearly that only links "you share off of Etsy" count. So if you had eMailed them the link it should count.

The off site ads question is answered as "If your unique link is the last link the shopper clicked on, you’ll save on fees for that sale. If the buyer clicks on an Offsite Ad as the last step before making a purchase that order won’t be eligible for Share & Save and the Offsite Ads fee will apply." per https://www.etsy.com/your/shops/me/share-and-save?ref=shareandsave_launch_0923_a&campaign_label=reco...

5 Likes

@BagmakerSupply This is the correct answer here. The buyer may have clicked an Offsite Ad link later, but the order likely wasn't eligible for a refund to begin with. 

1 Like

This isn’t a bug if you shared the link through an Etsy message. 

• You only get refunded for traffic you drive from other places to Etsy. While Etsy messages and listing descriptions are still great ways to share details about your items with buyers, you can’t save on fees by sharing your trackable link in those places.

https://www.etsy.com/seller-handbook/article/1187231088945

4 Likes

I think this $100 fee is so wrong! I did the work to post my shop on other sites. Etsy didn't do this, I did and got a sale from it. They charged me $100 for off site advertising. SO WRONG!! I'm very upset about this.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.