TheCuratorsAttic
Inspiration Seeker

Bug????? International buyers can purchase from my shop at domestic prices

Hello everyone. Is anyone else having problems with international sales going through at domestic prices? I have done 9 sales on my recently opened shop and all have been to international buyers but have gone through at UK prices, meaning that the international shipping cost has not been built in when they purchase. I contacted Etsy who said they would look into this for me, they advised me to cancel the orders as I was loosing money but I did not want to as I am a new shop and wanted to keep customer’s happy, not disappointed, so I swallowed the loss on each sale. I put my shop on holiday mode for 2 weeks to avoid further sales going through wrongly, I’ve now opened again and just had 2 sales go through this evening from international buyers who got the items at domestic prices. 
I will again contact Etsy on Monday but wondered if I was alone in this problem? Is it anything I am doing wrong? 
Any feedback will be appreciated. Thank you

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
5 Likes
29 Replies
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

Re: Bug????? International buyers can purchase from my shop at domestic prices

I've not heard of this bug.  Hope others jump in for you.

0 Likes

All the items I looked at show free shipping, I’m in the US, so I would get free shipping if I ordered. I would double check your setting and find out where it got switched to everyone having free shipping. 

1 Like

I'm in the US and see USA prices. 
I'm assuming you're referring to shoppers outside of the UK NOT being charged for shipping since you mention the shipping cost has not been built in and not that shoppers are paying domestic prices for international orders?

I do see FREE shipping on your items on any country I clicked on, UK, Italy, USA, New Zealand.
You haven't set shipping costs for these items, all ship for free.

Check your shipping section, you probably have "free shipping" to the UK and you CHECKED a box for "free shipping" to "everywhere else".

1 Like

6 Likes

^^ THIS ^^

Most definitely a bug.

You can try editing them in the OLD listing format, but that only lasts until you sell out and renew/make other changes.

2 Likes
MulherinLane
Conversation Maker

Not sure if this is relevant but I just received an order and it shows that the “buyer chose “ USPS first class mail as their shipping method. I have NEVER USED USPS first class mail as a shipping option for any of my listings. Maybe it was an error on my part when I set up the listing and didn’t realize I missed the “unchecking” the box for the first class mail option ??? I only ship USPS priority mail with the exception of occasionally using FedEx. Could have been a mistake on my part but wondering if it is a glitch??

0 Likes

Just to be sure I am answering the correct question. You say "international sales going through at domestic prices

Are you talking about different Prices on the actual Listing for Domestic (UK) and Everywhere Else? If you have used the Local Domestic (UK) and Everywhere Else Pricing when Listing to add additional costs to Everywhere Else then the "shipping" has to be "built into" the Item Price at the time of Listing. No International Shipping costs will be charged to the International Buyer because you have included it in your pricing.

If you have not set 2 different prices when Listing the Item, then you have to set up Shipping Profiles which specify an actual cost for International Shipping. You are in the UK, so calculated shipping is not an option. You have to set prices for all Countries you Ship to.

If you set up Shipping Profiles, then any Order will charge the Buyer the price you set.

Fror this Listing,https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/1559655046/pair-of-nippon-moriage-vases-exquisite,  I see "Free Shipping" to Australia so, either you have charged more for this item to cover shipping outside UK or you have made an error when setting up your Shipping Profiles.

As advised above, there is a known "bug" with the Domestic/Everywhere Else Pricing on the Listing Page so, if you have entered 2 different prices but this is not showing on Orders, I would suggest turn off the Domestic/Everywhere Else, charge one price and then set up Shipping Profiles which will charge whatever you set for every Country you ship to.

0 Likes

@CarpetCollectionAU I am pretty sure the OP is referring to the Domestic & global pricing option that appears on the listing form for non-US sellers.

It allows you to build the shipping cost into the global price & offer free international shipping without disadvantaging your domestic customers on price.

It can also be used by sellers who need to charge VAT or GST for domestic sales only.

This feature has been buggy since the new listing form was introduced.

3 Likes

@DaysofYoreTreasures I agree, but could not tell for sure.

Yes, the differential pricing has been "buggy". That's why I suggested moving to single Listing price and different Shipping costs in Profiles. It is a bit more work but, at least, Shipping would be charged.

1 Like

If you have used the Local Domestic (UK) and Everywhere Else Pricing when Listing to add additional costs to Everywhere Else then the "shipping" has to be "built into" the Item Price at the time of Listing. No International Shipping costs will be charged to the International Buyer because you have included it in your pricing.

For other readers:

The shipping doesn't have to be built into the item price. 

You can use domestic/global pricing for different pricing, and still charge individual shipping costs.

1 Like

@CappuccinoLace Of course the Pricing, even if a Seller uses Domestic and  Global Shipping are independant of each other.

My response opened with a question as I was unsure exactly what the OP had set up in her Listings.

Given her issue, I felt there was either an issue with Listing Prices not showing differently (the known "bug" or a problem with Shipping Profiles.

That everyone here sees "Free Shipping' regardless of Country, andIF the OP has entered different Listing Prices for Domestic and Global, then it looks like the "bug".

There is no point in advising to set both Domestic/Global Listing Prices and separate Shipping Profiles IF the OP intended to have Free Shipping Globally and cover it with increased Global Listing Prices.

As the OP has not returned to clarify the issue, it is difficcult to be entirely sure where the issue lies and how to rectify it.

OP is a relatively new Seller and it is my opinion that there is an incomplete understanding of how to ship internationally and set up differential pricing either in Listing Pricing or by Shipping Profiles or, as you have pointed out, by using both.

0 Likes

it is showing free delivery to the Netherlands

1 Like
TBQSC
Community Maker

Not only do you have free shipping to the USA, but your items say they will arrive from the UK within a week or less!  Not sure that is even possible with Customs!  I believe your shipping profiles are not set up accurately.  In addition, your shop policies are not Etsy legal or UK compliant for returns, refunds, cancellations, right to withdraw, GDPR policy, etc.  Without legal policies in place, buyers can file anything (NAD, not received, etc.) and all orders will be refunded out of your pocket with no return required by buyer.  

6 Likes

The domestic vs. international price feature has been glitchy and unreliable for months, there are many threads about this in the forum. Etsy doesn't seem to be doing anything about it.

7 Likes
TheCuratorsAttic
Inspiration Seeker

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your replies. Just to clarify, I set two prices on my listings which is what Etsy allow me to do- One for UK buyers and one for everywhere else in the world. Both prices have delivery built in and I mark everything as free delivery . My problem is that if for example a buyer in the US purchases something on my site, the sale goes through at the UK price not the everywhere else price that I set on the Etsy shop manager. Obviously the UK price is cheaper as it is local priced delivery not international delivery charges which I can’t keep subsidising out of my own pocket. I have no delivery profiles set and each listing is started from scratch each time I list. I list from my iPad and the Etsy app is updated.

I hope that is a bit clearer. Thanks again

3 Likes

3 Likes

I have this bug right now! I have lost £75 in sales as my USA orders have gone out at UK prices are Etsy going to compensate I wonder

1 Like

Re: Bug??? International buyers can purchase from my shop at domestic prices

Update they refunded me on 2 out of 3 purchases of the difference. I found using the old listing version works for global pricing 

1 Like
bebeklikedi
Inspiration Seeker

I'm having the same problem. This isn't the first time this has happened . I've experienced the same situation a few times before and I couldn't understand it. But this time I can see that there is a bug. That's why I removed my local prices and wrote to ETSY.

1 Like

@bebeklikedi   You have free shipping to the US.  If you want ahipping cost applied check your listings.  Do you have FSG set up?  If so countries will get free shipping as your prices are over $35 (USD)

0 Likes

I see free delivery to internationa countries.  I am in the US. 

Do you have the fsg set up?

Did you not add pricing for international shipping,  With calculated you can have free domestic but charge internationally. 

Think you need to look at your set up since you have free shipping and therefore not shipping charges domestically or internationally.

0 Likes

This is domestic/global item pricing which doesn't exist as a tool for the US.

It's not about shipping.

1 Like
bebeklikedi
Inspiration Seeker

I'm using free shipping on all my products. It's not about the shipping price. Directly the product prices which is we put an domestic(local) and international price. If you local user you just see the domestic price automaticly. If you an international user you just see the international prices. But the problem is an international costumer purchasing with domestic price. example : I'm in Turkiye and the costumer at US. Is that local shopping.

1 Like
TheCuratorsAttic
Inspiration Seeker

I have set it up to offer free shipping to uk and worldwide.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.