Beware! Scam notice I received today

This is the notice I received today on Etsy:

[This content has been removed by Moderation. We ask that you please review Section 1, Item 1 of our Community Policies before posting in the Forums.]

PS: The message in question did not come from Etsy, and we have already actioned the account attempting to impersonate admin.

I am hoping someone with Etsy will see this and see what is behind this correspondence.!!!!

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
5 Replies
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

Re: Beware! Scam notice I received today

Oh boy, there is just no end to these idiot's creativity (a new payment system). I'm sorry you were targeted, and Thank You for the Heads Up. There has been an infestation of scammers unfortunately, targeting new Sellers as well as seasoned ones. When you receive a LEGIT Message from Etsy Support/Staff, etc., it will appear in the "From Etsy" Folder (in Messages). If it isn't there, Mark the Message as Spam (so you don't get dinged for S Seller).  They are using "Verification" as one of their scams, posing as Etsy Staff/Support, etc. (should you get one of those, do the same).  

Scammers have also been posing as "Buyers", stating they need your email for an Order. They don't, Etsy already has it. When you receive a LEGIT Order, it will appear in "Orders & Shipping" (Left Column of Shop Dashboard); if it isn't there, you have no Order.  Mark the scammer's Message as Spam (so you don't get dinged for S Seller).  And never click on links or engage with them.

Currently there is a Pinned Announcement at the top of the Forum, "Protect Your Account From Scammers".
(I'll be back with the Announcement about the "From Etsy" Folder (currently it is under past Announcements).
https://community.etsy.com/t5/Announcements/New-From-Etsy-section-in-Messages/m-p/143722497#M1899

SO sick of these criminals (and I haven't been targeted by them); but I hate seeing it happen to others. And can only imagine how many Sellers have been robbed, and they never come to the Forum, asking for help. It's disgusting and it ticks me off.

0 Likes

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Managing-Your-Shop/How-to-Spot-a-Scam-No-a-Buyer-Doesn-t-Need-Your-Ema...

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000343128-How-to-Handle-Spam-and-Suspicious-Messages

The following characteristics or any combination of them may indicate the message is a scam:

Asking for additional items to be added to their order. For example, asking sellers to purchase and include a highly priced gift card with their order and promising to pay them back later.

Claiming they want to purchase items listed in a link which is actually malware or a link to a phishing site.

Offering to send you more money than you are asking for your item? This is known as an overpayment scam.

Insisting you reply via a personal email address, off of Etsy? A buyer who immediately insists on communicating off of our site may be questionable.

Seeming to not have read or looked at your listing, based on their vague questions.

Refusing to go through Etsy Checkout, thereby disqualifying the transaction from any Etsy protection.

Having a particular interest in an item of relatively high value. Scammers tend to focus on mid and high-value listings.

2 Likes

Perhaps Etsy should add a "report to Etsy" option when emails like this are received by a seller...? I just put it here to warn others and see that went against Etsy's rules. Not sure how else to let anyone know about suspicious emails.

1 Like

Etsy needs to get on top of this.  I am not receiving any such emails on Ebay or elsewhere. 

1 Like

I agree. I sell on eBay and I check out their forums a few times a week and I never see post after post after post after post day in and day out on there about a sellers getting scammed from scammers pretending to be eBay support, staff.

Why? Because eBay scans messages.

This is on every message you send on eBay:
"We scan and analyze messages to identify potential fraud and opens in a new window/tab policy violations. Sometimes it will keep us from sending your message, even when there is no intention to commit fraud."

4 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.