Sparklinbecks
Inspiration Seeker

Auto messages from a different seller that I purchased from dinged my star seller

Jump to solution

Ugh!

I purchased something from someone and it did an auto message to my shop. Because I didn’t respond to her canned message, my star seller response rate dropped. Yuck.

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Auto messages from a different seller that I purchased from dinged my star seller

Jump to solution

@Sparklinbecks @Borderhomegift : Probably almost everyone on this forum can sympathize with you but as it says right on your Star Seller page, you need to reply to the FIRST message of EVERY NEW INCOMING THREAD. It does not matter who sent it, the subject matter, if it is a duplicate or blank or anything else. If it is SPAM then it should be marked as such.

Etsy is now putting a blue text warning / advisory (blue banner on desktop, and a blue dot on mobile) on those messages they consider to be a "new message" but should semantically be called a "new thread".

If the unanswered message is not a Help Request, at least for the time being, it appears that marking an unanswered new thread as SPAM (even after the 24 hour deadline has passed) will cause your reply percentage to change in a day or two if the original message was within the current star seller period (but not retroactively). Note that subsequent messages from that account may go directly to the SPAM folder.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
16 Replies
Borderhomegift
Inspiration Seeker

Re: Auto messages from a different seller that I purchased from dinged my star seller

Jump to solution

I have just had the exact same thing happen to me! I also purchased an item and their message has effected my SS rating. 

1 Like

Jump to solution

Their message didn't effect your rating.  Your non-response to the message effected your rating.

If everything else fails, read the rules.

3 Likes

Betreff: Auto messages from a different seller that I purchased from dinged my star seller

Jump to solution

@Sparklinbecks , @Borderhomegift 

Go to your Star Seller page and scroll down to the Q&A section.

https://www.etsy.com/your/shops/me/star-seller

Questions? We’ve got answers. -> Messages -> What messages count towards the message response rate?

Your message response rate is based on just the first message in a conversation, not ongoing conversations. This means you just need to respond to the first message within 24 hours. This applies to messages both from buyer and seller accounts. Messages from Etsy staff do not count toward your response rate, and neither do messages that you mark as spam. You can also now find a breakdown of your message response rate score by downloading a CSV.

——————————

Etsy Help Centre:

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/4403058372503?segment=selling

How can I tell which messages count towards my progress towards Star Seller? 

The Message response rate only applies to the first message in a thread. Initial messages from both buyers and sellers on Etsy are counted towards the Message response rate. 

To help keep track of messages you should prioritize for Star Seller metrics, notification badges are displayed on messages which are: 

• A buyer’s first time contacting you
  • A new help with order request

Both of these types of messages need to be responded to in 24 hours to be counted positively toward your Star Seller score.

1 Like

Jump to solution

Yes, that's how it works. Computers can't differentiate the wheat from the chaff. 

1 Like
Amaradorn
Community Maker

Jump to solution

Yes, you need to respond to ALL new messages regardless of who they are from, or mark them as SPAM

1 Like

Jump to solution

The message  is NOT an automated message, the seller deliberately messaged you

you have to reply to each new message thread, and they are highlighted in blue

you can contact the seller, and tell them what you think of their practices, of messaging every buyer

1 Like
Sofiasbijoux
Conversation Maker

Rif.: Auto messages from a different seller that I purchased from dinged my star seller

Jump to solution

The seller message should be answered as if it was a buyer. Better to have two separate accounts for buying and selling.

1 Like
Sparklinbecks
Inspiration Seeker

Rif.: Auto messages from a different seller that I purchased from dinged my star seller

Jump to solution

You’re right. Lesson learned! 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Why not just answer the messages? why make all this turmoil over answering a note with a happy face or a 1 or 2 word answer?

5 Likes

Jump to solution

editing and deleting my response because responded to the wrong comment (sorry!)

0 Likes

Jump to solution

[deleted again] I think the forums are glitchy this morning, I am having trouble responding appropriately underneath the comment I want to.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@Sparklinbecks 

@Borderhomegift

Auto messages didn't ding you.  You dinged yourself for not reading and following the rules - which by the way, have been in effect for over 2 years now.

4 Likes
Sparklinbecks
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

you’re right. My mistake for not taking it into account as a buyer as I don’t purchase as often.

0 Likes
LAKEandFELLart
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

This comment isn't specifically aimed at the OP

I just don't get it !.......2 years on and we are still seeing .....a purchase I made dinged my Star seller !

What I don't understand is if a seller wants to be involved in the programme, why don't they know how the messaging measurement works ?

4 Likes
Sparklinbecks
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

you’re right. My mistake for not taking it into account as a buyer as I don’t purchase as often.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@Sparklinbecks @Borderhomegift : Probably almost everyone on this forum can sympathize with you but as it says right on your Star Seller page, you need to reply to the FIRST message of EVERY NEW INCOMING THREAD. It does not matter who sent it, the subject matter, if it is a duplicate or blank or anything else. If it is SPAM then it should be marked as such.

Etsy is now putting a blue text warning / advisory (blue banner on desktop, and a blue dot on mobile) on those messages they consider to be a "new message" but should semantically be called a "new thread".

If the unanswered message is not a Help Request, at least for the time being, it appears that marking an unanswered new thread as SPAM (even after the 24 hour deadline has passed) will cause your reply percentage to change in a day or two if the original message was within the current star seller period (but not retroactively). Note that subsequent messages from that account may go directly to the SPAM folder.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.