Australian Time Zones incorrect for Western Australia

Hi,

I'm trying to provide technical feedback to Etsy about the time zones of Australian stores, as a store based in Western Australia where its currently 6:15pm on the 23rd of November, I was just told that my order due to go out today is now overdue and I can't set it be delivered on the 23rd of November any more. 

I appreciate that the Eastern States of Australia are 3hrs ahead making it 11pm but its certainly not 12am here yet - so I'm not sure why my dashboard already thinks its the 24th? 

I'm not sure how to give this feedback that the days aren't showing correctly on the dashboard as its probably a niche thing that hasn't been noticed.

Thanks

Sam

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
7 Replies
DollHeaven
Conversation Maker

Re: Australian Time Zones incorrect for Western Australia

We are three hours ahead of you but that only makes it 9pm here, not 11.  However, Etsy does often have issues with times and dates, particularly for international sellers when relating their time zone to ours.  

0 Likes

Sorry about that, I'm not feeling great today

0 Likes
givemeacrown
Conversation Maker

Some parts of Etsy run on New York time. 

Are you trying to select today as the shipping date? It should let you do that as it's only early morning on 23 November in New York at the moment.

I'm in NSW and I always just mark it shipped after dropping orders off at the post office and I don't adjust the date. If I ship something in the morning then it would show 22 November, but in the late afternoon (after midnight New York time) it shows 23 November. 

And I can't quite remember how it works but if memory serves me right sometimes, depending on the processing time selected, it might show "ship today" from the afternoon up until midnight local time, but once it ticks over to the next day local time it shows the same up until midnight New York time the next day. 

Either way, as long as you ship within your specified processing time it should be fine.

I generally set my processing time as 2-3 days just to accommodate the various timezones even though I ship within 1 business days.

1 Like

It set my order as overdue before the day was even finished - due to send out on the 23rd, it's still the 23rd and now it changed it to overdue. I was updating a bunch that I took to the post box after dinner. 

0 Likes
givemeacrown
Conversation Maker

@LittleGreyCatBySam Sometimes when I've had 1 day processing time I've seen that happen but then when the click ticks over midnight here then it goes from "overdue" to saying "ships today".  

Etsy uses different timezones to calculate different dates on the same order, and then displays messaging based on incorrect time conversion.  Unfortunately that's just the way it is.

As a general rule, I make sure if I receive an order at 6pm with 2 day processing that I make sure it has been sent and marked as shipped before 6pm two days later.  I use the timestamp on the notification emails to help me remember when orders came in if I have longer processing times.

0 Likes

As Above ^^^^. Looking at my Orders Page, I have one Order with 1-3 day Processing which I received today, 23 Nov at 3.15 am my time. Si, in Etsy Time, this was still 22 Nov 2022. At the top of the Order/s due to ship, it show as due to Ship by 25 Nov 2022 which would, actually, be 3 days in Etsy Time.

But to the right of the individual Order it shows as Ship by 26 Nov 2022.

I have never quite worked out why there is a difference, except for the fact that Etsy Time is 12 - 14 Hours behind my time, but,even then, that would never put an Order due to Ship earlier than it is actually due to Ship. 

0 Likes

Etsy has a lot of issues with time zones and calculating ship by dates. For example, if we receive an order dated 10:59 pm on Saturday night it is scheduled to ship on Tuesday, and an order dated 11:01 pm on Saturday night is scheduled to ship on Monday. Clearly whoever wrote the algorithm that calculates ship by dates (particularly those that overlap weekends) made some serious errors in their code.

All we can do is check each order as we receive it and make the necessary adjustments.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.