Former_Member
Not applicable

Asking E-mail for Gift Cards.

Hello there! I would like to warn everybody about this scam. Here is the full conversation.

[This content has been removed by Moderation. We ask that you please review Section 1, Item 1 of our Community Policies before posting in the Forums.]

What I observe is they can not write "e-mail" properly. Maybe system detects it. I don't know. As you can see they are always writing "e.m.aill" or something like that. 

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
3 Likes
4 Replies

Re: Asking E-mail for Gift Cards.

@Former_Member: "they are always writing "e.m.aill"" This is a common spam / scam trick to try and fool any filtering software. Thank you for bringing to this forum's attention another scam aimed at Etsy sellers.

2 Likes

the reason for the odd language or varied fonts or odd spacing is that they are trying to get past Etsy's email/convo bots to bring them spam hot & steaming to your shop's inbox,.

no other reason.

Etsy doesn't require your email (they have it). They don't write 'dear shop owner' or anything like that (they know your name). And the 'gift card scam' in various permutations is a very well known technique. I wish people would do more critical thinking (not speaking of you, OP, because clearly you DID think this was odd) but if more didn't fall for it, these guys would move on to greener pastures.

3 Likes

Just something that keeps bothering me: A lot, if not most, people who post here use the words SCAM and SPAM interchangably. Those 2 are not the same thing!  These  posts are about SCAMS. Let's call it what it is. Unfortunately, Etsy does not have a SCAM folder--only a SPAM folder so I think that is what is causing confusion among newer sellers.

I just don't want anyone to think of this "lightly" as "spam" when they are trying to SCAM you of your  money thru your bank account and credit card.

3 Likes
KeepItNoted
Inspiration Seeker

Hi everyone, I just got the same message with "email" totally misspelled asking me my email and more info. Thank you for reporting this!

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.