App notification that order has been despatched but I didn't order anything

I just got a notification on my phone that 'my etsy order from (shop name) has been despatched' but I haven't ordered anything. I then went to Etsy to check my orders and there was nothing there so no order has actually been placed on my account, it was just a random notification. The shop mentioned in this notification is a popular shop which I trust and have bought from in the past.

I clicked on the notification but I feel like I shouldn't have as it's gone now from my phone and can't see it again. Not sure what this was! Is this a bug/technical problem that anyone else has experienced? I'm hoping it wasn't some kind of scam as I've already clicked the notification now so I'm kinda concerned 

Any help or insight is much appreciated! Thanks

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
7 Replies
Vintorious
Community Maker

Re: App notification that order has been despatched but I didn't order anything

Did you message the shop to see if maybe someone else ordered a gift for you? It's the only explanation that I can think of. 

1 Like
Amaradorn
Community Maker

It might be an Etsy glitch - the fact that it's from a shop you have purchased from in the past makes me suspect this is the most likely answer.

However it might also be a phishing email. Was it an app notification (pop up) or an actual email? Where did it take you when you clicked on the notification? Did it ask you to log in? If you are worried about the security of your Etsy account, I suggest changing your password and enable 2 factor authentication just in case.

0 Likes

It wasn't an email it was just a normal app notification/pop up. It just took me to the Etsy app but I've always had trouble with the ordinary Etsy app on my phone so the page didn't actually load properly (it never does!) so I didn't see anything asking me to log in. I'm starting to thing perhaps it's because I have a lot of issues with the app that maybe it was a notification that finally came through from an old order that I probably placed months and months ago haha

1 Like
Amaradorn
Community Maker

@LauraCarolineArt yes probably just an old notification that got stuck somewhere.

0 Likes
TBQSC
Community Maker

Since it was from a shop that you have bought from before, I am guessing that "perhaps" they may be going through their past orders and may be updating things (tracking #'s, etc.) to suffice the SS metrics ... or it could very well be an Etsy glitch.  You aren't the first person to report such a thing like this today.  I think @PillowDetails reported the same thing happened to her today too.

3 Likes

Not recently, but I have gotten a shipping email from a shop I bought from previously. 

The answer is recycled USPS tracking numbers.

@LauraCarolineArt  go to your past order from that shop, and look at the tracking number - if you see a more recent date, or an origin that's different than the Seller - it's probably just a recycled Trax #.

Interesting this only seems to happen on Etsy - at least these confusing notifications.

1 Like

I just had an email this morning with the same notification of dispatch - it was for an actual order I placed back in April. Looked back at my Etsy orders just to confirm, so I think you're right and the seller was probably just going through and updating things! Thanks for the help

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.