VooVooDesign
Conversation Maker

An Odd Disclaimer at the Bottom of One of My Listings. Etsy Put It There.

Jump to solution

I have a listing for small jingle shells. These are little sea shells. At the very bottom of the listing I noticed this:

Disclaimer: Etsy assumes no responsibility for the accuracy, labeling, or content of sellers' listings and products. Electrical or electronic products may pose a risk of fire or electrocution. Vintage, handmade, refurbished, or modified electrical or electronic products may not meet current safety standards and may not be in safe working order. Inspect carefully before use and message the seller if you have concerns relating to the product. Do not use a vintage electrical or electronic item if its safety cannot be verified. To reduce the risk of fire, never leave vintage electrical or electronic products plugged in unattended. See Etsy's Terms of Use for more information.

Why is that there? They aren't vintage electrical devices. They're shiny shells for decorating picture and mirror frames and for making tiny shell wreaths.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: An Odd Disclaimer at the Bottom of One of My Listings. Etsy Put It There.

Jump to solution

@VooVooDesign, Etsy added the vintage electrical disclaimer to all craft supplies a while back (maybe a year or two ago?).  There were a couple of threads about it back then.  It's on all my listings, since they are listed as craft supplies.

Oddly, this disclaimer doesn't seem to appear on any *actual* vintage electrical listings, which of course would be more appropriate.  Well, "oddly" for anywhere else but Etsy.

View solution in original post

5 Likes
14 Replies

Jump to solution

It's on everything.

2 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Jump to solution

Huh, you are right.  I see it on your yarn too.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Yep, just Etsy protecting themselves.  I guess they can't only put it on items where it would make more sense.

3 Likes
thewoollydog
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@31nyhdjf What kind of programmers do they employ that they're unable to work out how to add the disclaimer to just electrical items? it's becoming quite worrying with all the glitches, faults and bot actions plaguing the site.   

13 Likes
VooVooDesign
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

It's on other of my shell listings but not on my jewelry items or my dried seaweed listing. Only the shells.

I wonder how Etsy decides nose rings aren't vintage electrical devices but mussel shells and jingle shells are.

1 Like

Jump to solution

Etsy assumes no responsibility for the accuracy, labeling, or content of sellers' listings and products.

This first sentence could include anything.  Maybe if ingredients, or components are listed.  For example, my yarn is 75% merino wool, 25% Nylon.  Etsy isn't responsible if I send someone cotton yarn, etc.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

It looks like it's random? I just checked one of my listings for a light switch plate cover and it had a disclaimer for button/coin batteries being a choking hazard. ??

3 Likes

Jump to solution

LOL Etsy

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Yes, Etsy has been adding these for years.  They are letting buyers know they are not the responsible party for your content and if it results in any problem.

1 Like

Jump to solution

@VooVooDesign, Etsy added the vintage electrical disclaimer to all craft supplies a while back (maybe a year or two ago?).  There were a couple of threads about it back then.  It's on all my listings, since they are listed as craft supplies.

Oddly, this disclaimer doesn't seem to appear on any *actual* vintage electrical listings, which of course would be more appropriate.  Well, "oddly" for anywhere else but Etsy.

5 Likes
VooVooDesign
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Thanks. I hadn't noticed it until right before I posted.

"Well, "oddly" for anywhere else but Etsy" is right. Mysterious. I have the idea it was in fact meant for vintage electrical appliances, some bright young programming person goofed, and if they noticed they never told anyone.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I have that warning message on all my DIGITAL pattern listings.  Shocking...   lol

1 Like

Jump to solution

At one point this almost made sense, when it was on vintage lamps, and listings that mentioned "cords" or cording, or even pictures that looked like cords (one was on some leather strips).

AI is not learning - it's getting dumber.

At least it's in a spot and format that is very evident it wasn't added by the Seller.  Could be worse - They could place that in another picture slot.

2 Likes
JudyStalus
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Oh good grief...I see it on my crochet patterns in my other shop...not on the finished items though.  The exploding digital crochet pattern...

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.