AlicesRings
Inspiration Seeker

Almost 1 year in Etsy and not a single sale :(

Hello! 

I have worked very hard both on my products, and on setting up my Etsy shop. I read many articles about how to create the listings, about titles, tags, photos, descriptions,...

Following Etsy's advise, all my articles have free shipping. I have improved the photos several times, talking into account it's the first thing a potential buyer sees from your product,..

Almost 1 year has passed, and although I recognize my initial enthusiasm has dropped a lot, I still don't understand why I have so little visits (727 visits from May 2023 to April 2024) and not one single sale.

I would be extremely thankful if you could have a look and tell me what's wrong. 

Thank you so much! 

Alicia

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
10 Replies
Marmalady
Conversation Maker

Re: Almost 1 year in Etsy and not a single sale :(

You need to get your Policies EU_legal:
a) Return Policy -- buyers have minimum 14 days after receipt to inform you of intent to return for full refund, a further 14 days to actually return. Choose the 30 day option on Etsy.  Buyer to pay return postage. Without this policy buyers have a full year to request a refund and you have to pay return postage if you want it back
b) GDPR compliant Privacy policy
c) Address & contact info of where you conduct your business. Etsy have a Sellers Details section in their Policy template

I don't know if its an Etsy glitch or something you have entered wrongly, but on your shopfront your listings say "Free UK shipping" but then in the actual listing it says you do not ship to the UK

Despite Etsy's push for Free Shipping, it is not always a good thing. It does not give you any advantage in search ranking. Buyers know shipping costs money and that they are paying for it in increased item prices. It can also discourage multi-item orders as buyers will end up overpaying on the included postage costs

4 Likes

the policies are a must, they are a legal requirement, and give a bump in search

You need to make better use of your tags,

You have 13 tags, use them all, put as many search words in as possible, and don't repeat words in different tags, it's a waste of space

Jewellery is a very saturated category, so you need to make those tags work for you

for example these are things that would work with some of your items....

rolo chain choker
silver colour metal
chunky oversized
statement jewellery
emo goth punk grunge
cool edgy fashion
multi strand layer

The pictures you have look good to me, but there are not very many of them, etsy likes at least 5 for each item

1 Like
DaimonEleysis
Inspiration Seeker

Hi, Have you tried sharing your work at Social media, FB groups etc. ?

1 Like

Oh my, your work is amazing. I did a few sterling, brass and copper chain maille bracelets and a necklace a few years back for myself and gifts, and my wrists ached pretty badly if I worked more than about an hour a day. I’m sure working in stainless is even harder on the hands!  

The above advice is good, and I think better tags and social media are needed to get more exposure.  Etsy is no longer a ‘list it and they will come’ venue — sellers in oversaturated categories like jewelry need to bring in their own traffic.  Eventually you may find Etsy ads helpful, but at the beginning they’re a drain of money.

Your customers are out there, because heavier metal jewelry is popular especially with younger men who now seem much more interested in accessorizing. 

1 Like

Your shop is confusing.

Your main page shows prices which I personally think are quite pricy for what they are and looking at your shop front the prices do put me off and they are also set up wrong. For example, main shop front £54 earrings with free UK delivery, but when you click onto the product it shows a price of £38 and states the item wont be shipped to the UK, you need to look at each listing as there are a few like this.

Your shop is also not complete, No about section, GDPR policy missing, missing photos and your descriptions can all do with improvement, so Etsy will not favour you in the searches

My advice will be to research other shops in your niche and see how they list, describe and photograph the products and then work one each of your listing one by one. To not have a sale in a year is not good and there is every chance you may need to close this shop and open another. 

0 Likes

Chain mail work is very time-intensive and can be hard on the wrists and hands.  And for micro-mail, hard on the eyes!  Having done this sort of work myself, I think the prices for most items are more than reasonable.  

Not sure about the advice to consider opening a new store, either, especially with all the recent changes to get a new shop set up and all the hoops Etsy requires new sellers to jump through.  Lots of people are able to turn their shops around after no sales for a considerable period of time (illnesses, other life circumstances), but yes, it takes work.

0 Likes

I took a look at your shop ... items look great and I appreciate that chainmail is very exacting. 

Your micro chainmail earrings caught my eye ... and I wondered how much they weighed, but didn't see the weight in the listing details.

I did see a lot of detail about size and the material. Bravo. But weight might be a factor for some buyers, particularly earrings.

0 Likes

so my thoughts. While not a fan of this technique, (not my style) I do know/understand how difficult it is.

that being said, there is absolutely no information about how you are making these. With all of the manufactured items 'out there', I'd like to see photos of the jewelry bench, tools, something in work. Yep, you state you are buying the rings already made (I have a family member who does jewelry work...and the making of rings is both interesting & tedious, and he did them in karat gold...) but, I do remember hearing that stainless is very hard to work with.

Not saying that it is impossible, but I would personally like to see this done. How are you soldering the rings closed? Etc.

To me, also the blue dots are distracting. If you want to show some color, interject something else.

JMO.

but as I see the items, they put off a mass making vibe.

offering this suggestions because you asked why you hadn't gotten a sale in a year.

0 Likes
BlaqKat
Conversation Maker

The above responses have mentioned the important stuff like policies, etc - so definitely sort all that has been mentioned.

Personally, your items are lovely but I am not drawn in by the photos. I would personally make sure your first image has no props and maybe even not on the mannequin. Step back so that the full item is in shot when taking the picture.

You are also in a saturated market (jewellery) and only have 22 items.  Keep adding more items.

Also, things have been getting tougher. I've been on since 2012 and last year was my worst since 2015.  Do what you can to draw your own traffic using social media, especially Pinterest.

0 Likes

@AlicesRings: In addition to all of the excellent suggestions above, the reality is that you cannot rely on Etsy Search alone but you need to drive your own external traffic and sales so that the algorithm learns that people want what you are selling and that they want it from you.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.