All Messages going directly to spam folder

Since yesterday afternoon, every message that comes in has gone directly to the spam folder

I NEVER reach out to customers / potentional customers before purchase, no unsolicited messages whatsoever. This happened after I had to put an abusive potential customer's messages into spam, as they were sending duplicate messages dozens of times.

Now every message goes directly to the spam folder. Anyone have any suggestions to fix this?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
23 Replies

Re: All Messages going directly to spam folder

Support told me to ask the technical support forum until I hammered them down to send it to their technical department

Cookies / cache cleared daily, I only work on browser. Bit demoralizing support is advising us to receive help from the forums now.

2 Likes

You talked to Chat?  Yes they have the tendency to refer sellers back to the forums unfortunately.

Use email and ask Etsy to check your message set up.  It seems since they made some changes, some sellers are having all messages go to spam.  If you are sure the messages in the spam folder are legit, let ETsy know you have an issue.

It is also possible that the sender is sending too many at one time to sellers and the bot is seeing this as suspicious activity.  

0 Likes
TheSilverWren
Inspiration Seeker

This happened to us as well. 

0 Likes

Just talked to chat...  my account has been added to the pile for the engineers.

One of my messages that went into spam was in an established thread - basically in the middle of the conversation - with a customer.

0 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

I think Etsy is "fixing" the messages.

And you know what happens when Etsy "fixes" things.

10 Likes

Yes chat has been contacted, should have clarified that was meant I meant by support.

Chat told me this issue was not known to them, only minutes later recognizing this is a known issue after linking dozens of threads in the forum.

0 Likes
VIVIANxCO
Inspiration Seeker

I just noticed that this is happening more and more now! A ton of my messages are getting sent to spam instead of my regular inbox - how annoying!

2 Likes

After reading posts about this issue I checked mine and found one from a potential customer that had been there for 5 days. I never check spam but have to from now on I guess. Just another change I guess.

1 Like
bradgoodell
Community Maker

This is one of those "Be careful what you ask for" moments.  People wanted Etsy to create a more robust spam filter.  Apparently, it is too robust in some cases.  Sorry this has happened to you.

4 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

That's our Etsy.

Overrobusting again.

2 Likes
MapCuts
Inspiration Seeker

the past 2-3 weeks since this has started i've received no actual spam messaged, but get about 1-5 real customers being sent to spam each day. One today asked if they could have 50 of a product made, The number sent it to spam. 

0 Likes

A great spam filter would be something like embedding VirusTotal into the message dashboard to check for phishing links. Allowing sellers to preview messages in their email again to see if the message is even worth their time. Or even a permanent popup while viewing messages that warns sellers about the "from etsy" inbox. That popup lasted a couple days and then disappeared.

Now they can tell investors that "screen time" of sellers has risen dramatically with their new changes...

Seeing dozens of threads daily now about these directly to spam folder issues and half of the responses are people immediately assuming someone is doing something fishy. Additionally, Etsy blocking "suspect" sellers from messaging at all, all while allowing orders to still be processed is extremely unethical.

All this does is increase scamming efforts of people pretending to be Etsy Support. There are more ways to get sellers attention/email than right here on Etsy. These people running these campaigns are smart and adapting.

0 Likes

Leaving the "Announcements" and "Technical Issues" boards open to the public is incredibly suspect. That is all someone would need to craft new social engineering campaigns. When sellers need help, emotion can overtake and logic goes out the door...

If/when the $15 fee to be a seller happens, this will just cut out scammers that don't know what their doing. 

Empty out / transfer from the bank account Etsy know about frequently and limit spending limits on the card(s) Etsy has on file...

^^^ This is no accusation on Etsy itself, just recognizing all of the liabilities these practices leave us sellers open to.

0 Likes

I started another thread about a similar issue because I didn't see this one.  And it ended up being an actual customer reaching out.  It was automatically placed in my spam folder and I didn't see it because I usually use my phone app.

I had the exact same response when I spoke to their chat bot.  Apparently having peer support is the exact same as having technical support.

1 Like

edit

0 Likes

Same here. I'm going to have to check my spam folder every day now since I've had 3 legit customers end up there. 

0 Likes
richardchown
Inspiration Seeker

Any progress with this? I'm having the same issue, all new customers first messages are going to spam. It took 3-4 days for me to clock this, and I am now checking both inboxes daily but no doubt the fact that several messages we're left 'unresponded to' for days this will have a negative impact on star seller status? 

1 Like
byPScalligraphy
Inspiration Seeker

So frustrated as well. Half my inquires have been going to this folder and feel terrible they've gone unread for days!

1 Like

Same! Thanks for the heads up.

0 Likes
Awti
Inspiration Seeker

The same am having this issue more than 2 weeks , if will stay like this they really need to add a spam section on mobile app

2 Likes
martingsilva
Inspiration Seeker

Today I realized I had several legit messages from customer in my spam folder!!! It seems messages go directly there since 2 or 3 days ago...I haven't contacted Etsy yet.

1 Like

Same issue here, established convo with customer suddenly went to spam

1 Like

I just found one in spam from a customer asking for a discount on a multi item purchase. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.