EpiclesisConsulting
Community Member

A reply to the "Recent Changes" thread (since they're not allowing replies in the thread itself)

This is a response to this thread: https://community.etsy.com/t5/Technical-Issues/UPDATE-Recent-Changes-to-the-Technical-Issues-Section...

1) Taking the word "Bugs" out of the forum name does not mean that none of the "technical issues" are caused by bugs. Bugs are a normal part of dealing with computer software, and always will be. Don't take it personally, but don't pretend it's not real.

2) You state, "Etsy Support has made some major improvements to how we support our members. You can now reach Etsy Support via our Help Center, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week." But the Help Center is designed as a series of nested links to articles, apparently in the hope that people will either find the solution to the problem somewhere in the stacks of canned answers or just give up. The one time I have needed to send a message to Etsy since the support email was disabled, I counted how many menus I had to click through before I could finally get to an email form to fill out. I think the number reached something like twenty-seven. That is NOT an improvement on having an email address that is actually monitored, an accessible Contact Form linked on every page that can be accessed with one click (I have that on my website. Why don't you on yours?), or on having a Bugs Forum that is monitored 24/7. Or at least, from the user's point of view, it's not an improvement. I suppose if it used to be your job to provide support, not having as many avenues for users to request support is an improvement.

3) "[O]ur Technical Issues moderator is online Monday - Friday, 9am to 5pm EST to keep an eye out for emerging, high impact issues, and to alert the community to sitewide errors or major bugs." High impact issues, sitewide errors, and major bugs do not necessarily happen to "emerge" between 9 am and 5 pm EST on Monday through Friday. Again, I can see how shifting to banker's hours is an improvement for you. I don't see how you could think for one single moment that it is an improvement for us. This should perhaps be rewritten to say, "We have decided to serve you less in order to meet our own needs. We realize you are not happy about this. Tough."

4) "Reach out via the Contact Page" Sorry to repeat this one, but I think it bears repeating: The link provided here does NOT lead to a Contact page. It leads to a deeply nested set of links intended to get us to wade through pages and pages of articles in hopes of finding a solution. If we have already done that before we begin trying to contact you, why should we be anything but insulted and annoyed at being expected to do it again before we can eventually stumble on an actual contact form (which usually gets a canned response, anyway)?

Well, I know this response isn't going to get any response from anyone at Etsy, but I feel at least a little better for having said it. I suspect at some point, it will actually be read. Quietly ignored, most likely, but probably read.

To whoever does eventually read it, thanks for your time.

Trish O'Connor
Owner, Epiclesis Consulting LLC

215 Likes
95 Replies
SprocketsInside
Community Member

Re: A reply to the "Recent Changes" thread (since they're not allowing replies in the thre

@EpiclesisConsulting  "Taking the word "Bugs" out of the forum name does not mean that none of the "technical issues" are caused by bugs. Bugs are a normal part of dealing with computer software, and always will be. Don't take it personally, but don't pretend it's not real."  And let's not pretend most of what have been called bugs actually were inexplicable software bugs, just as most of what have been called tests are not tests.  They are mistakes, made by people and allowed to continue on site for far too long in most cases.  

"High impact issues, sitewide errors, and major bugs do not necessarily happen to "emerge" between 9 am and 5 pm EST on Monday through Friday. Again, I can see how shifting to banker's hours is an improvement for you."  Is it a switch?  Isn't that pretty much how it's always been?  And remember our fellow sellers worldwide, because M-F 9-5 EST is perhaps even more meaningless for them.  Until and unless Etsy teaches issues to only arise during those hours, this is a ridiculously sparse amount of coverage.  Any global company needs to have 24/7 coverage, full stop.  No excuses.  This also looks like a virtual abandonment of the site - by their own words - from 5 pm EST on Friday until 9 am EST on Monday.  What could they be thinking?  

"The one time I have needed to send a message to Etsy since the support email was disabled, I counted how many menus I had to click through before I could finally get to an email form to fill out. I think the number reached something like twenty-seven."  Ridiculous, and we have to assume that is how they want it, because they designed it and haven't made changes.  Also, people will occasionally post the Etsy CS phone number here, and they have reported that they "got in trouble" for doing so.  What incredible, deliberate opacity!  

I don't know about you, Trish, but I am pretty used to all the sloppiness and the screwups.  What does irk me - and perhaps this is what set you off - is when they tell us they are doing us a favor with all the mishigas.  (And that is Yiddish for "you did what?")  

51 Likes
ThePurplePuppy
Community Member

Re: A reply to the "Recent Changes" thread (since they're not allowing replies in the thre

I have got to remember that word! "mishigas"

12 Likes
OliverTwistsFibres
Community Member

The telephone number doesn’t work anyway.  I have never managed to speak to anyone at Etsy except a janitor in Ireland who answered the phone ‘out of hours’

28 Likes
xoDaniBreen
Community Member

@OliverTwistsFibres 

So sorry to hear that calling isn't helpful; I guess it's just because of location? I'm in the US and I've been pleasantly surprised by the service I've received by calling. 

3 Likes
OliverTwistsFibres
Community Member

@xoDaniBreen 

it’s very clear that they don’t care about sellers outside the US, from more than one standpoint.  The ‘free shipping guarantee’ is appalling.

11 Likes
xoDaniBreen
Community Member

@OliverTwistsFibres 

You have my sympathies; it's frustrating enough from where I sit.

3 Likes
ReImagineBrewing
Community Member

I have a favorite set up so that I can easily find how to contact Etsy:

Link to submit a request for help: https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Phone number is saved in my phone too: 1-844-659-3879

These did keep changing location on the site and are hard to find. So, I'm making it easier on myself.

13 Likes
ThePurplePuppy
Community Member

Hi Trish!  Everything you said is exactly why I will not and do not ever try to contact anyone at etsy. I have decided privately that the only time I will try is if my account were hacked--and Heaven help us if that happens. How on earth would one ever get any help, even if using an alternate account.  I just try to workaround bugs and glitches and keep plowing ahead.

10 Likes
xoDaniBreen
Community Member

@ThePurplePuppy 

I've always had really good luck with calling instead. I've gotten immediate results and they've all been really friendly and eager to help. Exact opposite of the email route.

4 Likes
ThePurplePuppy
Community Member

@xoDaniBreen  Yes, but you still have to go thru what Trish mentioned in order to get a "ticket" for the phone number.

I do have the number written down in case of need but would they even acknowledge you if you called and did not have the "ticket"?

2 Likes
xoDaniBreen
Community Member

@ThePurplePuppy 

I've always just called the number, but I couldn't tell you which one... I'm seeing different ones. What's a ticket?

1 Like
ThePurplePuppy
Community Member

@xoDaniBreen  I really don't know what a "ticket" is --I have only read here in the forum that if you try to contact Etsy support you MUST have a "ticket" that I suppose you get when you use the "contact us" link.  I have totally given up on getting any help.

1 Like
ReImagineBrewing
Community Member

I call and email...the squeeky wheel gets the oil.

I am always told that the dept I want to talk to only responds via email. This gets annoying because they are copy paste responses. They also rarely answer the question being asked. However, at least something is on record.

1 Like
TodaysStitch
Community Member

@EpiclesisConsulting and @SprocketsInside, thank you.  (it seems wrong replies aren't allowed in the thread itself.)

3 Likes
OliverTwistsFibres
Community Member

Well said Trish!

8 Likes
CuriosAnCollectibles
Community Member

I contact them most weeks regarding something not working, or giving them my "feedback" on changes and "improvements.  Most of the time I don't get a reply, brilliant customer service isn't it? 

7 Likes
AuntSusansCloset
Community Member

@EpiclesisConsulting   Nicely stated, Trish.  I had to chuckle at that article and its spin.

Minor detail, but something that "bugs" me nonetheless is posting times in EST (Eastern STANDARD Time) when the U.S. Eastern time zone is on Daylight Savings Time. 

5 Likes
custompetandtack
Community Member

Exactly Trish you're 100% correct.

Since Etsy did away with the support@ email, I've got mostly canned replies by going through the contact page that is if I can even find an option that fits with the issue I have questions about.

The last time I used the contact us form I got an auto reply that basically said we don't have time right now to answer you and a list of help articles that had absolutely nothing to do with the question/concerns I'd asked about.
Replied that this issue was not fixed and explained all of it again.
I also should mention I did not select the bugs/technical option because I know it never gets a reply.

4 days later and still No reply, so I sent yet a 3rd email, finally got a reply that they were aware of the issue I'd emailed about but basically  they fixed/prioritized technical issues based on their impact on the site and some issues might take longer to fix than others.
This issue had been ongoing for months before it was fixed. 

Just think what shoppers would think if they sent sellers an email, only to get a auto reply that had nothing to do with their question and then we never got back in touch with them for 2,3 days or a week or never. 
I'd assume they would go elsewhere to make a purchase.

15 Likes
xoDaniBreen
Community Member

@custompetandtack 

Have you tried calling? I've had 100% great results when I call.

4 Likes
FreshLemonBlossoms
Community Member

I must of been posting while you were, but this was exactly my experience too.  I just didn't bother to waste my time to try again because I felt it was a lost cause.   

4 Likes
custompetandtack
Community Member

Yes, I've tried calling but not for the issue I reported but for an issue with a refund and calling was absolutely zero help.

They told me someone would be in touch, took 24 hours to get an email.

If your issue is with your payment account or site glitches the call center people really can not help at all and all they do is send the info to someone at Etsy to reply back to you within 48 hours.

4 Likes
FreshLemonBlossoms
Community Member

I believe we are all on our own and have been for a while now.   I recently emailed via the help center (which is practically impossible to navigate easily and I know the site!) about a site bug.  I had an item with a 1 business day processing time that was purchased on a Friday night and Etsy had the ship date as Sunday.  The Sunday ship date was on the customers receipt and on my shipping & order page.  We all know 1 business day would be Monday, not Sunday.   

Took them 3 days to reply.  The reply was how they were too busy to answer my email and gave me a big list of things to try.  This list consisted of how to ship items and had NOTHING even remotely close to the issue, let alone would solve something that was a website bug from them.  How can I possibly fix their website bug???  So help desk was absolutely no use at all.  They were too busy to even simply acknowledge a site bug.  I just got a generic, we are too busy to respond to you reply from Etsy.  

Yes, I can update the scheduled ship by date which would also mean telling the customer sorry, there was a website bug that shows the wrong shipping date and here is the real date.   But I shouldn't have to do that.  There shouldn't be bugs like this in the first place!  

14 Likes
xoDaniBreen
Community Member

@FreshLemonBlossoms 

Calling them has worked great for me... immediate results from really pleasant people. I was shocked.

3 Likes
custompetandtack
Community Member

@FreshLemonBlossoms 

I had something like that happen quite a few times when Etsy started showing the "estimated delivery date" and showing a date BEFORE my processing time was even up.

Example, an item bought today 10-29 with a 1-3 day processing time would show est delivery Thursday 10-31 to Monday 11-4.
I have to Friday to get it done and mailed so even showing Monday as est. delivery is pushing it.

I had one customer buy something on Thursday and ask where it was on Sat.
This was an item with a 1-3 day process time.  My last ship date was the following Tuesday and yes, Etsy showed est. delivery on a Sat.
Even if I mailed in 1 day I wouldn't have mailed it till Friday and no way they would have got it on Sat.

I finally changed my processing time to 4-5 days so items wouldn't show est. delivery 2 days after purchase.
But I still note in my listings ready to ship within 2 business days.
And I know I won't show up if someone selects the 1-3 day shipping filter.

4 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.