20 + in cart disappeared for my two top items!!!!!

Two of my top Sellers had "20 + in carts" and all of a sudden it disappeared! the same thing happened last month. It's almost like if Etsy didn't want customers to buy those items! 

Also I had an issue with a customer who left a one star review before contacting me and even though I contacted her the same day of the review to offer her a refund (as it appeared there was a manufacturing issue with her item), I asked her to send me a picture, and I never heard about her . So I could never help her resolve any issues.

Etsy keeps on posting the one star review on top of my reviews even though I had so many 5 stars reviews afterwords, this is damaging the number of sales I could make. The review should show according to the most recent and it does not!!! I have no idea what's happening with Etsy lately but its very disappointing.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
13 Replies
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

Re: 20 + in cart disappeared for my two top items!!!!!

That is just how it works.

That is how Etsy wants it to work. And Etsy knows best for Etsy.

3 Likes

That was not a very professional answer!! maybe that's why Etsy is making so many mistakes...

2 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

"That was not a very professional answer!! "

Not very professional? Okay, maybe you wanted a different answer but, I'm sorry, that answer is the truth.

2 Likes

Maybe the answer that actually answers as Witticisms gave below.

It does happen to be true.

1 Like
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

@JDTotesnDolls  Yes, I know from reading your posts that you know that Etsy knows best for Etsy;)

0 Likes

@CreativeDesignLD 

"Two of my top Sellers had "20 + in carts" and all of a sudden it disappeared! the same thing happened last month."

That's because Etsy moves items in carts to Saved for later after ~ 30 days. That explains why the same thing happened last month. It's just how they have it set up. So yes as OneEyeCatStudio said...that is indeed just how it works.

Help Center article explains here https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015437807-How-to-Remove-an-Item-from-Your-Cart?segment=se...

"When you have an item in your cart for more than 30 days, we automatically move it to saved for later. .."

5 Likes

That would be probable IF everyone put the items in their cart on the exact same day. I had a customer contact me yesterday wondering if I took the item down and it was no longer for sale because it disappeared from her cart the DAY AFTER she put it in. I went in and looked, and ALL of the items that people had 'in carts' were gone. The day before, there had been a total of over 43 'in carts'. I keep track of it, because I sell most of my items for family groups, and the 'in carts' is a great predictor of how many shirt blanks I need to order, I've been doing this for many years, and that strategy has proven successful. I've also noticed that every time Etsy 'dumps' the carts, etsy orders come to a dead stop. It's a good thing that we don't rely on Etsy for our income. We actually do the tie-dye for Disney. We do their marching bands, ESPN Sports teams, cruise ship crews and their stage productions. I can tell you after being here for years, that Etsy doesn't just dump carts after 30 days. They have a different criteria, and I have no idea what it is, but it most definitely affects sales. 

1 Like

@HeavenlyDazeTieDye: You also have to keep in mind that the "in peoples carts" is for the buyer. Etsy never clarifies to the seller how accurate, timely, or inclusive that number is. You might have 100 more items in someone's cart that do not show the message and the ones that do might have been as of two days ago. We just do not know how dependable that number is.

1 Like
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

Yes, do check the Help Center.

Sometimes they tell the truth and, I learned in the forum just this morning, sometimes they completely don't.

1 Like
NoFrogsAllowed
Conversation Maker

@CreativeDesignLD 

The number of items in carts is for the buyer (to impart a sense of urgency) and not for the seller.  People put items in carts for way more reasons than to buy.  Some put items in their cart to compare before deciding on one or none, others because they like it, want show it to someone or maybe so they can copy it, etc.  If Etsy didn't clear carts approximately every 30 days there would be an unholy mess and nothing would get bought or more items would be purchased by mistake than actually are.  It's not like the items in carts disappear, they are just moved to saved for later where the could potentially stay forever.

It's not like the person loses or can't see the item.  Every time they go to their cart Etsy reminds them items are in saved for later.

0 Likes

Thank you so much for you answer. It was very nicely explained.

0 Likes

I think it is Etsy clearing the carts.  Also if you ever run a sale or other promotion and that shows beneath your listings (such as 20% off etc) then the cart message will disappear as only one message can be shown at any time. 

0 Likes

Removed by me.   

@OneEyeCatStudio got it right first thing here.  

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.