1 star rating

A customer ordered a product of ours and we shipped it using Etsy mailing/postage labels. The customer stated he never received it because it was shipped to a wrong address and he gave us a one star review. I tried to explain to him we used the address given to Etsy. He admitted he used the wrong address but now we're stuck with a 1 star rating due to no fault of our own.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
15 Replies

Re: 1 star rating

It feels terrible and I have several this month, 1 star, even though all my shipments are tracked and I choose the most expensive shipment, to avoid problems, it is quite unfair.

0 Likes
Annaandsomeart
Inspiration Seeker

Have you tried to reach out to Etsy itself? Just curious to know if they were helpful in any way?

0 Likes
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

Sorry but there is nothing in that review that would prompt Etsy to remove it, it is just the buyer's opinion of the transaction and they are entitled to that.  Unfortunately, since you have responded, you have now locked it in place.  You might (and it is a big might) have been able to persuade the buyer to upgrade it, but they can't do that any more.  The only way to remove it now is to appeal to Etsy, but as I said, there really is nothing in that review that would warrant a removal.  There are very few reasons why Etsy can remove a review, most related to the buyer blaming (by name) a third party.

1 Like

@Socal3dprintsDesigns: There are very few legal reasons to remove a review, and unfortunately 'unfair' is not one of them.

1 Like
Dog011
Inspiration Seeker

Etsy do not help at all since as a seller I had a situation with not truth review because it was customer mistake, Etsy did not want to step in explaining that it is not allowed for Etsy to do that and to interfere into customer review. So it looks that seller is not protected but review influence on shop rating ... so unfair ... I was disappointed Etsy earn from my shop but do not protect my shop from reviews which are not seller mistake.

1 Like

I had a visit from the worst abusive buyer I have ever had in 20 years of selling on the internet. I just need some more 5 star reviews from my normally wonderful customers. I do wish Etsy would protect us from these types.

3 Likes

@Dog011 @DreamyTimesShop  : Unfortunately there is really nothing in those reviews that would allow them to be legally removed - from Etsy or even your own website if they had been left there.

1 Like

"I do wish Etsy would protect us from these types."

Yesterday, I reported a review that included a curse word and Etsy removed it within the hour.  Etsy does remove reviews, but the criteria are specific:

• Review contains private information.
  • Review contains objectionable language.
  • Review contains advertising or spam.
  • Review is about Etsy or a third party that a seller did not choose.
  • Review uses my intellectual property without my permission.

2 Likes
StitchyFrood
Conversation Maker

Take it up with your Congress Critter because they require Etsy to follow the CRFA of 2016, but even that legislation began with JFK declaring 4 basic consumer rights in 1962. 

0 Likes
Dog011
Inspiration Seeker

@BagmakerSupply  Etsy should remove review which is result of making wrong purchase because they did not check description and size info in description for example they need for labrador but they purchase pattern which is size for small dogs. All sewing patterns include sizing info in description but this situation is so offten and Etsy do not remove such review. Refund for sewing patterns is not possible since they download pattern when they pay for order. So return of digital files is not possible. Etsy should protect sellers from such customers and also customer should have experience to be valid to make review which is valid for sewing patterns. Making sewing patterns for pets is not an easy job since all pets are different size even within one breed. Making valid review request experinece and knowledge so it can be true and valid. Review should be objective but how in this case ?

0 Likes

@Dog011 

etsy can't remove that review, it would be illegal,

however, we can refund digital patterns if we want to, the button works, I have done it myself.

and we can send a different size if we want to, without charging extra, I have also done that myself.

and, that review looks like a very considered and truthful review of the customers experience

your reply doesn't contradict anything they say as untruthful, just complains they did not read the description, and they wasted ink, by printing out the instructions.

the reply to the review does more harm to your shop, than the review itself.

1 Like

@Dog011: "Review should be objective ..." Yes they should, but the law does not make an exception for buyer error, mistake, or lack of reading comprehension.

We totally sympathize with you, but an absolutely happy buyer can still leave you a one star review if they wish to just as a completely unhappy one can leave you five stars. At the end of the day, a review is nothing more than the buyer's opinion.

If this buyer had left the exact same review but with five stars would you still want it removed?

We have experienced the same thing as you (customer clearly stated that it was their mistake and that they ordered the wrong size) but nothing in the review qualified for a legal removal https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidance/resources/consumer-review-fairness-act-what-businesses-need-kn...

1 Like

I have had Etsy not remove a review that was critical of Etsy.

0 Likes

unfortunately Etsy never protects sellers, even if the 1 or 2 star rating is totally not fair and they buyer is abusive.

1 Like

@xwallcolors: "... Etsy never protects sellers ..." In this case there is nothing that Etsy can do. Not fair is not a legal criteria to remove a review. If, however, the buyer is being abusive in the review that is a legally permitted reason to remove the listing.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.