WHAT'S YOUR DAY JOB?

WHAT"S YOUR DAY JOB? OR......................What did you retire from? Or what really is in your pockets? How many "hats" have you worn? How many "hats" are you wearing now? Shall we talk?.... NOTICE! THIS THREAD IS ONLY FOR US!!!!! PRIVATE!!!!!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
6 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: WHAT'S YOUR DAY JOB?

Well, I worked in a law firm until 1999 when I got permanently sick of it. Then I started my business. I did not add etsy until 2008.

I also mom to 4 and step mom to 3. But they are grown now and blessing me with grand babies to spoil and then send home!
0 Likes

I worked in the cafeteria in our local hospital on high school.
I was a beauty operator after finishing the schooling for that and passing the state boards.
Worked in a local clothing store , another beauty shop.
Made and sold Santa's , snowmen and other items for craft sales and boutiques.
Created lots of clothing for my own children .
Started community education for our town,back when it was all arts and crafts. I found people who did tatting, embroidery, clay art, picture frame makes ,someone who embroidered, and many more people who did handy crafts.
I also created a boutique which was housed in vacant buildings to rent. Always in a different building here in town every year for 20 plus years.
Then created a home boutique called Gifted Women , we did however have a few men involved. This was located in my home , did that for many years.
Worked in a drycleaners for about a year. When I asked if I could do their work from my home [ because two kids where at home for the summer] they said yes, but were going to pay me two dollars less an hour. I told them I won't do that and that is when I started my own alterations business in my home . I have been doing alterations for 18 years now . I have many regulars but have cut back eliminating brides dresses and the dreaded zippers.

Currently I do four fall and winter boutique/ craft sales.
Still do the alterations and sell here on Etsy.
Raised five children -- biggest job of them all !!!!
Have four and 3/4 grand children and like Peg said my job there is to spoil and then send home.
I don't think I missed anything.
So there you have my life's of jobs in a nut shell.
Oh ,how could I forget LOVE my husband, not really a job it's to easy!
0 Likes
ItsVera
Crafty Poster

Retired from teaching 5 years ago and loving it.
Just passed 3300 sales in my Etsy shop, my retirement hobby. lol
0 Likes

At age 17, right out of high school, I married so created my own "job" for several years. We 3 children close together then another 5 years later so that took up my time along with cooking for hired men on the farm/ranch and sawmill. I also was the gofer---going for parts, moving machinery from one field to another.

We just rolled with the economy so when the lumber business declined my OH started using the trucks to haul machinery for an uncle and that turned into another business when the uncle retired. OH went to auctions, bought used machinery and we made necessary repairs and resold. The sons were old enough to go along and became interested in the auctioneering. Our oldest is now a full time auctioneer of machinery consignment auctions, traveling all over the mid west and has his license in several states.

As the children got older, I became one of the hired men! I ran machinery putting in and taking out crops, putting up hay for the winter as well as driving a pickup/trailer moving cattle around and I was the one to load the syringes and keep records on days we ran the cattle through the chute. Often I also became the "tail holder" while certain jobs were being done.

Next became the construction business since we had 3 bulldozer and other equipment on the farm. One son now is doing that while another has taken over the used equip. Our daughter is a 2nd grade teacher.

I worked as a temp for about 15 years and learned many things everywhere. I started when the computers were taking over the work place so got paid to learn what others were taking college classes to learn.

We have 8 grands so have sit through many ballgames, programs, etc. Yesterday I helped DIL price items for her B&M shop's Christmas open house this Sat. I had a Son and another DIL call this morning wanting to know if I could help them out with computer stuff. So you can see I have worn many hats during my 53 years of married/adult life and try to find time to do some listing here and in my other online stores.

I better get off here and get some other things done, have friends coming for supper, have apples needing processed, cleaning to do so I can spend tomorrow baking bread for a Veteran's luncheon on Sat---am to take a crockpot of broccoli/cheese soup also.

Sorry to be so long but didn't know how to cram all those years into anything smaller!
0 Likes

I'm grandmasoldgoodies, just checking in so won't repeat
0 Likes

Howdy all! I am your Captain...coming to you from my 2 nd shop. We all have such full pockets! With two shops and Captain of two teams here on Etsy.....I am dedicated! My day job is that and......I am the Nanny Grany for two of my 6 grandchildren! I also run several other business enterprises......Automobile detailing.......I am the cleaner of our wholesale car business..... I have a product development biz ....I am an inventor.......an idea creator and an advid researcher! In my pocket... I am mom of four.two sons, two daughters.. and as stated 6 grandchildren. I have been married 48 years to my HS sweetheart! Most of my career has been in early childhood education both private and public avenues.....teacher director... owner...administrator... and the training of new recruits. I have owned a large janitorial company...and dabbled in real estate... I am an active Christian lady........ and that fills all my pockets. I will never retire........I am too nosey for something new to do and learn. And I love learning from YOU!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.