Inventory Organization: What's your secret/system of storing stuff you are selling?

OK, I have been doing this for a while...but really would like to draw upon this groups' experience....I am Terrible at organization.

I sell jewelry I make, which I am "so so" in organizing so I can find it when it sells...but the odd sized vintage items are another story.

They are everywhere! Would appreciate what has worked for you! Candy

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
12 Replies
2DancingStones
Conversation Maker

Re: Inventory Organization: What's your secret/system of storing stuff you are selling?

I sell mostly jewelry also so I wouldn't be much help on your vintage items.

For my jewelry--after listing the item--I put them in a gift box and store them either in my small chest of drawers or put them in sterlite boxes, placing them alphabetically and labeled accordingly. My stainless steel items are put in plastic bags and labeled, then stored in a sterlite box. My bookmarks are placed in plastic bags and labeled, then stored in sterlite drawers.

3 Likes

Re: Inventory Organization: What's your secret/system of storing stuff you are selling?

I've tried filing cabinets which work pretty well for smalls. Right now I'm using big plastic tubs, but honestly, things do end up all over the house. I used to be such a neatnik with an abhorrence for clutter, but have done a 180 in my "old age." Thank goodness for a very patient husband too.

3 Likes

The big plastic tubs would probably be good for a lot of my stuff. How do you manage glassware in these?

1 Like
Teddyrose54
Conversation Maker

I use Ikea storage units. I list, bubble or material wrap, sticky label on it when wrapped up. And into the plastic storage tub it goes. That's vintage items. Jewellery is in plastic storage boxes. The clear kind with several compartments. They can also be used for beads or crafting equipment.  I also date each label, so I know how long it's taken to sell.

3 Likes

Very clever and practical idea to date your things. I wish that information was easily accessed in the stores...maybe it is, I just have never seen it. I would sure delete some items if they had been online too long and had not sold. Thanks for the DIY idea!

2 Likes

@Teddyrose54 Love your idea about dating items too! I need to get all my inventory reorganized for where I keep it. I haven't YET had to refund a customer's money b/c I couldn't find their item, but there have been 3-4 times I was close to doing it. 

1 Like

@Texaswoman I don't deal in much glassware, but what I do is list an item, then put it in the shipping box with bubble wrap & store it on shelves with other packed up items. I have each box labeled on the outside with what it is, so things are easier to find. Yet I still have trouble finding things. 

1 Like

What is organization?  I am so not...........  I used to be the  person who had a place for everything and everything in its place..but????  Two shops and all went crazy...  Oh well.still having fun..yes I am!

2 Likes

Good for you Itsee! I have heard that having two shops on Etsy is a LOT of work! I'm not sure I could keep orders straight-

When you opened your "Blue shop" did you intend for everything to be blue? 

1 Like

I'm with you Itsee. I have a sign inside the front door of my house that reads:

"PLEASE IGNOR THE CLUTTER, A CREATIVE WOMAN LIVES HERE!"

2 Likes

There were some good ideas shared here. Thank you.

1 Like

You are absolutely everywhere Jeanne!

Like the Energizer Bunny!

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.