Ice Breaker

The path less traveled....

Please share why you are running an online business at this stage of your life...

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
24 Replies
2DancingStones
Conversation Maker

Re: Ice Breaker

After working all my adult life, I found it difficult not to do anything! Therefore, I decided to use my hobby as means of making money. I regret to say, I've spent way more on supplies than what I've earned...but, hey, it's kept me busy and out of trouble!

2 Likes

What beatiful gemstones! Your store looks like a rainbow--You must really enjoy working with such great materials.

I also like your bookmarks--You must be an animal lover like I am!

1 Like
Teddyrose54
Conversation Maker

I started when I was younger and needed extra income. I planned to retire and only sell now and again, when I had things I no longer needed. The government had other plans. So here I am, still working away. I admit I love it, but now i'm older the running around takes a bit longer. Or else it's just I am getting rather more fussy.

2 Likes

Yes, "fixed income" definitely has a ring to it- I am a retired educator who reinvented myself as a glass artist. Then the fun began!

I am raising a grandson, so he keeps me on my toes as well. Selling online is so much easier than hauling stuff to shows all over the state.

I also agree with DancingStones...I spend WAY too money on supplies...Am trying to cut that..but I do enjoy adding more treasures to my inventory so it is going slow.

Good health and a supportive husband are the two keys that enable me to continue online. I LOVE creating--certainly much more than cleaning house or cooking!

1 Like
Teddyrose54
Conversation Maker

@TexaswomanOh yes, cleaning house and cooking take a back seat here too. Since I've down sized cleaning it so much easier. So I have more time to sort out my treasure hoard.

I love the idea that you re-invented yourself. That is an amazing accomplishment for any woman.

2 Likes

What adorable dogs! I love rescue dogs myself and have one underfoot at the moment.

You also have some fascinating vintage pieces-very unique. Makes for fun browsing in your store.

0 Likes

After caring for my mum, who had alzheimer's, for 8yrs, I didn't feel at all like going back into outside employment so I started making things and selling online. I don't earn much but enough to live by. I've always been creative and love that I can sit in my cottage at home, making and selling worldwide :)

1 Like

It is amazing isn't it Verna? The fact that we an discuss our work with other folks all over the world!

I think we are all blessed to have lived to see such wonderful advances in technology.

1 Like

I'm a retired nurse & started on Etsy in 2011 after cutting teeth on Ebay for several years. I love Etsy. You definitely have to get used to ups and downs in this biz. 

2 Likes

It is kind of like a roller coaster isn't it? I got on Ebay in 1998 and am just now phasing out my store there.

I also love Handmade Amazon...that store is now outperforming Ebay and Etsy. I'd love to see Etsy catch up though!

It is a nice place to sell.

1 Like

"handmade Amazon" is different from "Amazon"--It is strickly for handmade items. You apply with photos from your store of things you have created. It is a juried application. They let you know if your work is accepted for the site. I got in at the beginning when they had decided not to charge a fee--and they have continued that since...but I do expect it to kick in soon. I think it is a monthly fee--no charge for listing and no expiration date for your products. They do charge a fee when something sells...I have really enjoyed it there.

1 Like

I started out on ebay too, then gradually moved over to etsy.

I still prefer etsy but it has changed beyond recognition over the past few months, introducing all of the features which were the very reasons I left ebay.. ahh well.

I love making and selling so I expect I'll stay here a while longer, or maybe try out Folksy too (I'm in the UK)

0 Likes

@TexaswomanWhat do you sell on Amazon? All I've ever heard about them is negative comments...the expense, the fees, etc. 

0 Likes

@VernaCraftsWhat do you make? It sounds lovely to sit in your cottage being creative & making things. I don't think I'm that creative. 

1 Like

I've been making jewellery, mainly resin pendants but I'm a wee bit bored with that just now and I've been learning about working with polymer clay. Not at all sure what I'll make with it, just enjoying playing and trying out the various techniques.

I see you sell vintage items, Florence. That must be fascinating, always something different to discover. :)

1 Like

Love your resin pendants Verna! I especially like that you have added the photo with the necklace size chart for men and women.

I don't think I have ever seen that one!

I'll bet you will be great with the polymer clay.

1 Like

Yes it is @VernaCrafts, but I'm like you, my sales numbers seem to decrease every year no matter what I do. It's discouraging. I wonder if it's b/c the milennials are into minimalism. I'm not really sure who my target audience is...I just assume milennials. 

0 Likes
2DancingStones
Conversation Maker

@ Texaswoman - Thank you! And yes, I am an animal lover! We've shared our lives with six dalmatians since 1986 (most were rescues, two deaf). We did adopt retired greyhounds but both ended up with cancer which is highly prevalant in that breed :(. Now we're back to dalmatians only, Coach and Pebbles (deaf) are our two right now. 

1 Like

@Texaswomn - Thanks Candy, I see you make jewellery too :) You have a large range of different items in your shop and it all gels together beautifully.

The most items I have had in my shop at one time was 200, so well done you!  I'm down to around 80 just now. With all of the etsy changes I was thinking of letting my items expire and taking a long break because sales have been well down of late and I thought I'd wait for the dust to settle -  but I'd miss selling.

The size chart saves a lot of conversations from customers, it's helpful. :)

1 Like

@VintageSouthernPicks  - I looked at my stats on google analytics I think it was, and most of my buyers were in the 25-32 age range - of those who gave their age online that is.

1 Like

Good reminder Verna. I need to check my GA.

1 Like

Verna...Aside from the sellers in China, I  saw the highest Etsy sellers are those who sell arts and crafts materials...and personalized items. You could easily put some letter charms on your beautiful pendants or your new clay pieces. I try to keep a variety of items in my store. My sales aren't stellar, but have grown since I have been mixing things up a bit. Hang in there!

1 Like

@TexaswomanYes Candy, I had started to think about personalized items. I have lots of different beads and gemstone beads, basically I need to use up my stash- before I buy anything else  :) ... except some letter charms maybe!

I was going to open a second shop to sell off loads of charms and findings left over from my days at ebay but when the fee hike happened it didn't seem worthwhile.. I'm glad I'm not totally reliant on etsy sales as I have a pension now so that gives more freedom. I'm 65 btw.

0 Likes

I love charms! I use a lot of them myself....You know Verna, I have had some luck with personalized key chains and bookmarks. You have some lovely pieces to put on those kind of pieces...and of course, the charms work beautifully too.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.